Write Output From HTML Validator in Firefox

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 24, 2009
      To All,

      Where is the command to write the cleaned-up output produced by HTML Validator
      in Firefox?

      I'm using FF v3.5.5 and HTML Validator v0.8.5.8.

      Currently, I copy the entire cleaned-up output which is produced by the
      validator and use that to over-write the source file. I don't see a "Save" or
      a "Save as..." menu item on the "Cleanup the page" screen.

      Thanks for the help.

      Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 24, 2009
        Ray Shapp wrote:
        > Currently, I copy the entire cleaned-up output which is produced
        > by the validator and use that to over-write the source file.

        The validator uses the engine of HTML Tidy, which is free and a hook for
        which is provided in NoteTab. Pleasye look at the manuals, I can't be
        more specific as I don't use it myself. I try to write cleanly in the
        first place and don't like the kind of improvements Tidy makes, but
        that's a question of style and taste and Tidy's output certainly is not
        bad.

        Axel
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 24, 2009
          Hi Axel,

          Thanks for the quick reply.

          <<The validator uses the engine of HTML Tidy,>>

          Yes, I am aware. I am just at the beginning of the process of cleaning up the
          club's website which has had at least a dozen contributors over the past ten
          years. We have well over 2,000 web pages. During routine maintenance when I
          need to update a page, my approach has been to clean up the code "adequately"
          using the Tidy validator in Firefox sometimes and the Tidy clip in NTP at
          other times. The point of my question is to find a way to update the source
          code from within the HTML validator in Firefox. For example, a file I am
          working on this morning has an extra </table> tag. That's the only problem. It
          would be nice to just delete that one tag in the cleaned-up output screen
          rather than go back to the source file and hunt for the tag or to copy the
          entire cleaned-up output and paste it over the source document.

          The question to all: Can I do edits within the validator in Firefox (on files
          which are on my local PC)?

          Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 24, 2009
            Ray Shapp wrote:
            > The question to all: Can I do edits within the validator in
            > Firefox (on files which are on my local PC)?

            In that case the only way I'm aware of is the one you're using already,
            i.e. select all, copy to editor, save, upload. As far as I know there
            are no uploading capabilities in a browser, or rather only ones that
            require extra programs on the server as for forms.

            I would rather mirror the whole site to my disk, edit locally and update
            when done. That's the way I do everything anyway, the server is just a
            mirror of what I assembled locally.

            Axel
          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 24, 2009
              Hi Axel,

              <<I would rather mirror the whole site to my disk, edit locally and update
              when done. >>

              I'm not expressing myself clearly. I'm doing exactly as you are doing. I'm not
              looking for a way to upload to the web host. I'm just looking for a way to
              edit the source files on my local PC directly from within the clean-up screen
              of HTML validator in Firefox. I guess that's not possible if you also are
              copy/pasting the entire cleaned code into the source file.

              Thanks for responding.

              Ray Shapp