[NH] Re: Links - underlining of

  • Jan Wilson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2 12:45 PM
      Got Mary Kelly's message from Friday, July 02, 1999.

      I tried your table using IE5 and it loaded in just a few seconds ...
      that's here in Belize, so it shouldn't be a problem.

      If you want to try to make it faster loading in more recent browsers,
      you can try to tell IE or Netscape as much info about the table as you
      can before it starts parsing it.

      For example, with what you have:

      The browser reads the first row, sees three cells. The second row has
      only one cell, which leaves some ambiguity as to how the browser will
      handle it.

      So the browser MUST read the whole table to see how many rows you
      really have. Most browsers will give every row as many cells as you
      have in the row that has the most cells (assuming you aren't using
      colspan).

      Try this and see if it loads faster, looks prettier, etc.:

      etc.

      There are many ways of doing it, and most variations don't matter
      much, unless you have a REALLY huge table. It is always best to test
      it in several browsers (I use IE5, Netscape 4.5, and Opera 3.5) if
      possible. I did test these modifications to your table, but since my
      changes are on localhost, it would be hard to benchmark any speed
      improvement (it loads almost instantly).

      I would also add something like this embedded style data in the <head> part:

      <!--
      a:link { text-decoration: "none"; }
      th { text-align: "left"; }
      -->

      This would turn off the underlining on the links (you could add a
      one-sentence instruction at the beginning), and left-align the table
      headings (the latter works in IE5 and Netscape 4.5, they stay centered
      in Opera 3.5). Or you could use the <td><b> as a heading, as you did.
      But using the <th> tag is more in the direction of the WAI (Web
      Accessibility Initiative) to help our impaired friends use special
      readers. That's also a big advantage of using style sheets, and
      ultimately, moving to XML.

      > The lady I did the table for has not yet replaced her version of the index,
      > but my 'test' can be seen on her site at:
      > <http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Garden/6402/fgs/nescopeckindex.htm>

      Jan Wilson / corocom@...
      Corozal Community College / Corozal Junior College
      Corozal Town, Belize / Central America
      Visit our Corozal page / http://www.corozal.com
      PGP key at keyservers / or at pgpkey@...

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 18, 2000
        This one is from Jan Wilson and the one I think you were think of Charles:

        Got Mary Kelly's message from Friday, July 02, 1999.

        I tried your table using IE5 and it loaded in just a few seconds ...
        that's here in Belize, so it shouldn't be a problem.

        If you want to try to make it faster loading in more recent browsers,
        you can try to tell IE or Netscape as much info about the table as you
        can before it starts parsing it.

        For example, with what you have:

        The browser reads the first row, sees three cells. The second row has
        only one cell, which leaves some ambiguity as to how the browser will
        handle it.

        So the browser MUST read the whole table to see how many rows you
        really have. Most browsers will give every row as many cells as you
        have in the row that has the most cells (assuming you aren't using
        colspan).

        Try this and see if it loads faster, looks prettier, etc.:

        etc.

        There are many ways of doing it, and most variations don't matter
        much, unless you have a REALLY huge table. It is always best to test
        it in several browsers (I use IE5, Netscape 4.5, and Opera 3.5) if
        possible. I did test these modifications to your table, but since my
        changes are on localhost, it would be hard to benchmark any speed
        improvement (it loads almost instantly).

        I would also add something like this embedded style data in the <head> part:

        <!--
        a:link { text-decoration: "none"; }
        th { text-align: "left"; }
        -->

        This would turn off the underlining on the links (you could add a
        one-sentence instruction at the beginning), and left-align the table
        headings (the latter works in IE5 and Netscape 4.5, they stay centered
        in Opera 3.5). Or you could use the <td><b> as a heading, as you did.
        But using the <th> tag is more in the direction of the WAI (Web
        Accessibility Initiative) to help our impaired friends use special
        readers. That's also a big advantage of using style sheets, and
        ultimately, moving to XML.

        > The lady I did the table for has not yet replaced her version of the index,
        > but my 'test' can be seen on her site at:
        > <http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Garden/6402/fgs/nescopeckindex.htm>

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab and Html List...
        mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...