Re: [NH] Site check => IE 8 compatility problems

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
      Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
      > Anyone have any insight as to why?

      Mike, this is not what you or they want to hear, but my standard answer
      applies:
      Non valid code, gratuitous use of scripting without decent noscript
      fallback, placing of content into the background, which may be switched
      off.
      The CSS seems to validate alright, but with lots of warnings, a few of
      which warrant looking into.
      They harangue vistors to "update" to a browser of their choice, not the
      way to make friends. My standard IE by the way is 5.5.

      I can verify that IE 7 shows the slide show without captions (if I allow
      background wallpaper and make them a trusted site).

      Sorry, but unless and until they stop refusing to show the most basic
      willingness to make a half decent site I won't look into any specifics.

      Axel
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
        Hi
        The only thing I could find the images are not the same size because the
        text on the left side vanishes
        underneath the edge IE7
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
          I concur!!
          I think this is going to get ugly.

          Thanks,
          -Mike
          ===========

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
            Thanks for checking this.
            This is most unfortunate as their previous site was compatible with IE 6.0.

            -Mike
            =============

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
              Thanks, Davit.
              -Mike
              ================

            • bruce.somers@web.de
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
                Mike Breiding wrote:

                > This site: http://www.deckerscreek.org/ will not display slide show captions in IE 8.

                It is really funny then, that users are advised to 'upgrade' to Internet Explorer 8 there!

                Bruce
              • bruce.somers@web.de
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
                  Axel Berger wrote

                  > way to make friends. My standard IE by the way is 5.5.

                  Oh dear. If I were to use IE, I would certainly use IE 8. It is the first version of IE that has acceptable support of CSS.

                  Bruce
                • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
                    bruce.somers@... wrote:
                    > Mike Breiding wrote:

                    >> This site: http://www.deckerscreek.org/ will not display slide show captions in IE 8.
                    >>

                    > It is really funny then, that users are advised to 'upgrade' to Internet Explorer 8 there!

                    I am a big dummy!!
                    I am using IE 7 and the captions will not display in that version.
                    I can only assume it displays properly in IE 8.

                    Sorry for the confusion!
                    -Mike
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
                      bruce.somers@... wrote:
                      > I would certainly use IE 8. It is the first version of IE that
                      > has acceptable support of CSS.

                      Exactly, it is just about standards compliant. So when I need to check
                      whether a design of mine needs some extra adjustment for IE I use a
                      version with many problems. And that is just about all that IE is for
                      here anyway.

                      Axel
                    • Cary Driscoll
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
                        The captions are working in IE8, FF3 and Safari 4. It may be that the
                        javascript is using CSS that older versions of IE don't support correctly.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
                          Cary Driscoll wrote:
                          >The captions are working in IE8, FF3 and Safari 4. It may be that the
                          >javascript is using CSS that older versions of IE don't support correctly.

                          Nope. Works in IE6 also.