Re: [NH] Site check => IE 8 compatility problems

  • Edward B
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
      No captions in IE 6 either.
      ed
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV" <mike@...>
      To: "NoteTab HTML" <ntb-HTML@...>
      Sent: Sunday, October 25, 2009 5:55 AM
      Subject: [NH] Site check => IE 8 compatility problems

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
        > Anyone have any insight as to why?

        Mike, this is not what you or they want to hear, but my standard answer
        applies:
        Non valid code, gratuitous use of scripting without decent noscript
        fallback, placing of content into the background, which may be switched
        off.
        The CSS seems to validate alright, but with lots of warnings, a few of
        which warrant looking into.
        They harangue vistors to "update" to a browser of their choice, not the
        way to make friends. My standard IE by the way is 5.5.

        I can verify that IE 7 shows the slide show without captions (if I allow
        background wallpaper and make them a trusted site).

        Sorry, but unless and until they stop refusing to show the most basic
        willingness to make a half decent site I won't look into any specifics.

        Axel
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
          Hi
          The only thing I could find the images are not the same size because the
          text on the left side vanishes
          underneath the edge IE7
          THANKYOU DAVE M

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
            I concur!!
            I think this is going to get ugly.

            Thanks,
            -Mike
            ===========

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
              Thanks for checking this.
              This is most unfortunate as their previous site was compatible with IE 6.0.

              -Mike
              =============

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
                Thanks, Davit.
                -Mike
                ================

              • bruce.somers@web.de
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
                  Mike Breiding wrote:

                  > This site: http://www.deckerscreek.org/ will not display slide show captions in IE 8.

                  It is really funny then, that users are advised to 'upgrade' to Internet Explorer 8 there!

                  Bruce
                • bruce.somers@web.de
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
                    Axel Berger wrote

                    > way to make friends. My standard IE by the way is 5.5.

                    Oh dear. If I were to use IE, I would certainly use IE 8. It is the first version of IE that has acceptable support of CSS.

                    Bruce
                  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
                      bruce.somers@... wrote:
                      > Mike Breiding wrote:

                      >> This site: http://www.deckerscreek.org/ will not display slide show captions in IE 8.
                      >>

                      > It is really funny then, that users are advised to 'upgrade' to Internet Explorer 8 there!

                      I am a big dummy!!
                      I am using IE 7 and the captions will not display in that version.
                      I can only assume it displays properly in IE 8.

                      Sorry for the confusion!
                      -Mike
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
                        bruce.somers@... wrote:
                        > I would certainly use IE 8. It is the first version of IE that
                        > has acceptable support of CSS.

                        Exactly, it is just about standards compliant. So when I need to check
                        whether a design of mine needs some extra adjustment for IE I use a
                        version with many problems. And that is just about all that IE is for
                        here anyway.

                        Axel
                      • Cary Driscoll
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
                          The captions are working in IE8, FF3 and Safari 4. It may be that the
                          javascript is using CSS that older versions of IE don't support correctly.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
                            Cary Driscoll wrote:
                            >The captions are working in IE8, FF3 and Safari 4. It may be that the
                            >javascript is using CSS that older versions of IE don't support correctly.

                            Nope. Works in IE6 also.