Site check => IE 8 compatility problems

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
      Greetings,

      This site: http://www.deckerscreek.org/ will not display slide show
      captions in IE 8.

      Anyone have any insight as to why?
      I had nothing to do with the site I am only trying to help get this
      figured out for them so they can solve the problem.

      Thanks,
      -Mike
      http://epicroadtrips.us/2009/sept/ca/d1/
    • Edward B
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
        No captions in IE 6 either.
        ed

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
          Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
          > Anyone have any insight as to why?

          Mike, this is not what you or they want to hear, but my standard answer
          applies:
          Non valid code, gratuitous use of scripting without decent noscript
          fallback, placing of content into the background, which may be switched
          off.
          The CSS seems to validate alright, but with lots of warnings, a few of
          which warrant looking into.
          They harangue vistors to "update" to a browser of their choice, not the
          way to make friends. My standard IE by the way is 5.5.

          I can verify that IE 7 shows the slide show without captions (if I allow
          background wallpaper and make them a trusted site).

          Sorry, but unless and until they stop refusing to show the most basic
          willingness to make a half decent site I won't look into any specifics.

          Axel
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
            Hi
            The only thing I could find the images are not the same size because the
            text on the left side vanishes
            underneath the edge IE7
            THANKYOU DAVE M

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
              I concur!!
              I think this is going to get ugly.

              Thanks,
              -Mike
              ===========

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
                Thanks for checking this.
                This is most unfortunate as their previous site was compatible with IE 6.0.

                -Mike
                =============

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
                  Thanks, Davit.
                  -Mike
                  ================

                • bruce.somers@web.de
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
                    Mike Breiding wrote:

                    > This site: http://www.deckerscreek.org/ will not display slide show captions in IE 8.

                    It is really funny then, that users are advised to 'upgrade' to Internet Explorer 8 there!

                    Bruce
                  • bruce.somers@web.de
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
                      Axel Berger wrote

                      > way to make friends. My standard IE by the way is 5.5.

                      Oh dear. If I were to use IE, I would certainly use IE 8. It is the first version of IE that has acceptable support of CSS.

                      Bruce
                    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
                        bruce.somers@... wrote:
                        > Mike Breiding wrote:

                        >> This site: http://www.deckerscreek.org/ will not display slide show captions in IE 8.
                        >>

                        > It is really funny then, that users are advised to 'upgrade' to Internet Explorer 8 there!

                        I am a big dummy!!
                        I am using IE 7 and the captions will not display in that version.
                        I can only assume it displays properly in IE 8.

                        Sorry for the confusion!
                        -Mike
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
                          bruce.somers@... wrote:
                          > I would certainly use IE 8. It is the first version of IE that
                          > has acceptable support of CSS.

                          Exactly, it is just about standards compliant. So when I need to check
                          whether a design of mine needs some extra adjustment for IE I use a
                          version with many problems. And that is just about all that IE is for
                          here anyway.

                          Axel
                        • Cary Driscoll
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
                            The captions are working in IE8, FF3 and Safari 4. It may be that the
                            javascript is using CSS that older versions of IE don't support correctly.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 25, 2009
                              Cary Driscoll wrote:
                              >The captions are working in IE8, FF3 and Safari 4. It may be that the
                              >javascript is using CSS that older versions of IE don't support correctly.

                              Nope. Works in IE6 also.