External CSS Style Sheet for Top Page

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2009
      To All,

      I would like to use an external CSS style sheet to format the top page of the
      monthly newsletter I described in my earlier thread the subject of which was
      "Open a Folder of PDF files".

      My current thinking is that I will post all the content in duplicate. In one
      file, all the articles and "departments" for the month will be combined
      consecutively below a new kind of top page. That top page will contain links
      to each of the articles below it in that combined file. The top page will also
      contain links to a duplicate copy of each article which will reside in its own
      separate file. IOW, if I have a total of twelve articles and departments, I
      will post thirteen files that month.

      Here below is a sample of the layout of the top page:

      AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
      AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
      BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
      BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
      BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
      CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
      IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
      JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ

      The layout has a better appearance when you copy the lines above into NTP and
      see it in non-proportional spaced font.

      The two header and the two footer areas span full width (lines A, B, I, and
      J). The body areas are split into two thirds and one third of the width. The
      right-hand third of the body (area Z) will contain a simple listing of the
      departments that appear in every issue such as contact info, the names of new
      members, the planets visible during the month, duty assignments for our staff,
      etc. The left-hand two thirds of the body area (lines C through H) will
      contain thumbnail images and brief descriptions of each contributed article.

      Please point me to an example of an external style sheet that I can customize
      or provide the basic elements of I style sheet that I can fill out. My aim is
      for the top page to fit neatly as printed output onto a single sheet of 8.5 x
      11 inch paper. From month to month, I will vary the vertical height of areas C
      through H as necessary to accommodate fewer or more than six contributed
      articles. Yes, that will probably mean I will need several versions of the
      style sheet, but over the course of a year, 3 or 4 versions will probably
      suffice.

      Thank you for your help.

      Ray Shapp
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2009
        To All,

        A slight correction to my previous post. In the example, I said, " if I have a
        total of twelve articles and departments, I will post thirteen files that
        month." In fact, in that example, I would post fourteen files. One file would
        be all-inclusive and the top page would contain links to articles and
        departments within that single file. Twelve files would be devoted to
        stand-alone articles and departments. The fourteenth file would be similar to
        the top page, but it would contain links to each of the twelve stand-alone
        files.

        Thanks for the help.

        Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2009
          Ray Shapp wrote:
          > an external CSS style sheet to format the top page

          As you ask such a simple question this site will probably be best:
          http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-hour/
          (I prefer it with schript off.) It has helped me a lot some time ago.

          Very good advanced discussion of more involved concepts can be found at
          http://www.positioniseverything.net/index.php
          I have used and adapted the "Jello Mold Piefecta" technique.

          Good luck
          Axel
        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2009
            Hi Axel,

            Thank you for the quick reply.

            I am a novice CSS user. I worked through a tutorial several years ago, but
            that's the extent of my experience. Each part of the info in the LeftJustified
            site was understandable, but I don't see how to put it all together. The Jello
            mold pages turned my mind to Jello. Maybe I'm too sleepy right now. I'll give
            it another shot again later.

            BTW, I didn't think my question was very simple, but I was hoping for a simple
            answer.

            Regards,

            Ray Shapp

            >> an external CSS style sheet to format the top page
            >
            > As you ask such a simple question this site will probably be best:
            > http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-hour/
            > (I prefer it with schript off.) It has helped me a lot some time ago.
            >
            > Very good advanced discussion of more involved concepts can be found at
            > http://www.positioniseverything.net/index.php
            > I have used and adapted the "Jello Mold Piefecta" technique.
            >
            > Good luck
            > Axel

          • Margaret Peloquin
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6, 2009
              I've had good luck with the sample CSS templates from this site:
              http://www.dynamicdrive.com/style/layouts/category/C9/

              In addition, when you need to either refresh your knowledge or help to solve a
              particular coding issue, this is a good site to consult:
              http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

              --
              === Margaret Peloquin, Head Librarian Eastview ===
              === Austin Community College, Austin, Texas ===
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 6, 2009
                Hi Margaret,

                Thanks for reference to the great sites. I've spent hours just a-clickin' and
                a-tryin'.

                I tried to adopt the RGB to HEX converter at
                http://www.javascripter.net/faq/index.htm to change the background color to
                the color that the user enters. The conversion to HEX works fine, but the
                background changes to black regardless of what RGB codes were entered.

                Maybe you can see my error in the following:

                <script type="text/javascript">
                function RGBtoHex(R,G,B) {return toHex(R)+toHex(G)+toHex(B)}
                function toHex(N) {
                if (N==null) return "00";
                N=parseInt(N); if (N==0 || isNaN(N)) return "00";
                N=Math.max(0,N); N=Math.min(N,255); N=Math.round(N);
                RGBcode="0123456789ABCDEF".charAt((N-N%16)/16)
                + "0123456789ABCDEF".charAt(N%16);
                document.bgColor=RGBcode;
                return RGBcode;
                }