Re: [NH] Open a Folder of PDF files

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
      Hi Marcelo,

      <<Javascript, not Java.>>

      Yes, that was a slip of the (figurative) tongue.

      <<When I call online PDF "dreadful", I refer not to the presentation, but to
      the experience:>>

      Valid points.

      Thanks for the replies.

      Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
        Marcelo Bastos wrote:
        > When I call online PDF "dreadful", I refer not to the
        > presentation, but to the experience:

        May I offer the following rule of thumb:
        If the document is meant to be loaded down, archived and read at
        another time at the reader's discretion, go for PDF.
        If you expect the reader to just read it online, scan it (in the
        human, not the technical sense), and continue browsing, probably
        along links provided in the text, then go for HTML every time.
        For that reason I offer lists of literature used and cited in both
        formats, which is easy as both are generated automatically out of a
        database application.

        Axel
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 3, 2009
          Hi Axel,

          Thanks for your valuable rule of thumb.

          You make a good point about the disparate ways in which my users interact with
          the newsletter. If I can't find a way to store only one copy of the content
          each month and if I can't find a less labor-intensive way of editing the
          product, I will probably drop this question and continue with the methods with
          which I am familiar and with which my readers are comfortable.

          Also, I may need to stick with the current method because I don't see any
          solution to the problems with citations if the articles are not presented in a
          traditional newsletter format. Currently one can refer to a graph or a passage
          or any other part of an article by citing only the issue date and page number.
          If the articles are in separate files (of whatever format), they will not have
          consecutive pagination from one article to the next. It will then be necessary
          to cite title along with issue date plus the page number within that document.
          The alternative would be to begin the pagination of each article after the
          first one with a page number that is one greater than the final page number of
          the preceding article.

          This discussion is drifting off topic for an HTML group.

          Ray Shapp