Re: [NH] Open a Folder of PDF files

  • Marcelo Bastos
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
      Interviewed by CNN on 2/6/2009 09:25, Ray Shapp told the world:
      > Marcelo said, "it's probably possible to write some Javascript that will take
      > that single click and spawn a dozen downloads from it. Of course, that means
      > your page won't work as planned if the visitor has Javascript turned off." We
      > have about 200 people in the club, and a good many of them are real computer
      > novices. My guess is that half of them would be intimidated by the simple
      > question, "Is Java enabled?". I'm sure many members do not have Java enabled.
      > They and others would resist making any changes.

      Javascript, not Java. Javascript is a built-in feature of the browser,
      while Java is (in most cases) an external plugin. They have little in
      common besides the name.

      The default state is for Javascript to be enabled. However, many people
      disable it to avoid annoying ads, or because of security concerns. Some
      will use some sort of tool to enable/disable it in a site-by-site basis.
      Those are not your problem, though; they usually can figure it by
      themselves, with a bit of warning from you (in the form of warnings,
      particularly using the <noscript> element).
      No, the REAL problem is that newbie who disabled Javascript because his
      almost-as-newbie second cousin told him it was "a bad thing." They won't
      be able to download the things, and will blame you. Best thing in this
      case would be figure out some sort of alternate download page that will
      be shown if people have Javascript disabled.
      > Marcelo also said, "I would prefer doing an online version in HTML and, from
      > that, generate a downloadable full version in PDF. Online PDF is... well,
      > dreadful." I don't understand how one would generate a PDF file from an HTML
      > document. I currently compose the newsletter in MS Word and "print" it to PDF.
      > I also don't know why you say online PDF is dreadful. The versions of the
      > Adobe Reader from number 7 onward have much improved text and graphics copying
      > capability and they also run faster than the older versions. After I spend
      > hours precisely formatting tables and mathematical equations, I appreciate the
      > fact that the reader can't destroy my work.

      Well, you could just as well open the HTML in your browser and "print"
      it to PDF, the same way you do with Word. It would take some
      experimenting, sure, but it can be done.
      When I call online PDF "dreadful", I refer not to the presentation, but
      to the experience: pages take a long time to load, they don't behave
      like other web pages, don't adjust to the size of the browser window,
      are generally slow...
      But in fact you apparently have one good reason to stay with PDF: math
      equations. These are hard to do well in HTML -- there is a standard for
      it (MathML) but it's poorly supported, so not a solution for you. No, to
      bring your equations to HTML you would have to first convert them to
      images, which is an extra step. So, I think in your particular case, you
      are better off with PDF, despite its shortcomings.

      Marcelo
      -=-=-
      When you learn to distinguish between the container and the contents,
      you will have attained wisdom. - Idries Shah
      * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.16
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
        Hi Marcelo,

        <<Javascript, not Java.>>

        Yes, that was a slip of the (figurative) tongue.

        <<When I call online PDF "dreadful", I refer not to the presentation, but to
        the experience:>>

        Valid points.

        Thanks for the replies.

        Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
          Marcelo Bastos wrote:
          > When I call online PDF "dreadful", I refer not to the
          > presentation, but to the experience:

          May I offer the following rule of thumb:
          If the document is meant to be loaded down, archived and read at
          another time at the reader's discretion, go for PDF.
          If you expect the reader to just read it online, scan it (in the
          human, not the technical sense), and continue browsing, probably
          along links provided in the text, then go for HTML every time.
          For that reason I offer lists of literature used and cited in both
          formats, which is easy as both are generated automatically out of a
          database application.

          Axel
        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 3, 2009
            Hi Axel,

            Thanks for your valuable rule of thumb.

            You make a good point about the disparate ways in which my users interact with
            the newsletter. If I can't find a way to store only one copy of the content
            each month and if I can't find a less labor-intensive way of editing the
            product, I will probably drop this question and continue with the methods with
            which I am familiar and with which my readers are comfortable.

            Also, I may need to stick with the current method because I don't see any
            solution to the problems with citations if the articles are not presented in a
            traditional newsletter format. Currently one can refer to a graph or a passage
            or any other part of an article by citing only the issue date and page number.
            If the articles are in separate files (of whatever format), they will not have
            consecutive pagination from one article to the next. It will then be necessary
            to cite title along with issue date plus the page number within that document.
            The alternative would be to begin the pagination of each article after the
            first one with a page number that is one greater than the final page number of
            the preceding article.

            This discussion is drifting off topic for an HTML group.

            Ray Shapp