MSIE View Source Doesn't Use NoteTab

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9, 2009
      To All,

      I just upgraded to MS Internet Explorer version 8 on a system using WinXP Pro
      SP3 and NoteTab v5.7b. While doing web maintenance on my website on a mirror
      of it stored on my local PC, MSIE v8 insists on using its own editor. When I
      right-click on any of my web pages and click "View source", the HTML text is
      displayed in the browser's editor.

      I used the browser's Tools > Internet Options > Programs tab to change the
      browser's HTML editor to notepad, but the browser still uses its own editor
      for showing the HTML text.

      NoteTab has been configured all along to replace notepad, and if I navigate to
      any of my web pages then right click and press "Open with" and select notepad,
      the HTML text does open properly in NoteTab.

      Please tell me how to cause the new version of Internet Explorer to act like
      all previous versions when I click "view source".

      Thank you.

      Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 3 , May 9, 2009
        Ray Shapp wrote:
        >I used the browser's Tools > Internet Options > Programs tab to change the
        >browser's HTML editor to notepad, but the browser still uses its own editor
        >for showing the HTML text.

        That doesn't change the program used for View Source. It changes the
        editor used when you click the Edit button. I don't know about IE8,
        but in IE6 and earlier Edit is on the button bar (or what's it
        called, the one with the Refresh button) and you may have to
        configure it to show that button).

        For changing View Source editor, try this. I don't know if it works
        with IE8, but it's a tiny freebie, so worth a try.
        <http://www.iconico.com/viewSourceEditor/>

        BTW didn't Notetab have a clip or something to make IE use it for

      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 3 , May 9, 2009
          Hi Lotta,

          <<For changing View Source editor, try this. I don't know if it works with
          IE8, but it's a tiny freebie, so worth a try.

          http://www.iconico.com/viewSourceEditor/ >>

          Great tip! Many thinks for this. The little utility does exactly what I asked
          for. Run it once and the MSIE browser will always show HTML source in the
          editor of my choice. Naturally, that would be NoteTab.

          Much obliged.

          Ray Shapp