[NH] Re: Newbie questions

  • Bruce Meyers
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009

      > John Wallace wrote:
      > > change the txt to htm in the default extension section.
      >
      > A reasonable choice IF that is what you want. NoteTab is rather a
      > powerful general purpose editor and when I want to start a new HTML
      > page from scratch I mostly use one of my templates or the "modify
      > document to HTML" option, so it is not for me.
      >
      > Axel

      I edit several websites as newsletters and I am often sent documents in many different formats - some .doc files, some .rtf files, some .txt files, etc. I copy and paste what I am sent into a blank NoteTab page and save it as a .txt file - the default.
      Then I use the Modify to html. NoteTab automatically creates a new page and when I click on Save As the file is listed as an html file. I then cut and paste the piece of that page into my newsletter page.
      I have two files: one is "newfile.txt" and the other is "newfile.htm". I can see what that page looks like by using any one of three methods: click on the globe, click on tools -> View In Browser, or simply press F8. My default browser is FireFox. I can also click on View in Alternate Browser (something like that) and get the page in IE7 (have not switched to IE8 yet)
      I usually delete both of these after I have cut and pasted what I need.
      I am writing this to add to the discussion about why I want to save files as .txt and then convert them. If I am creating a new page, I will, like Axel, use a template or I will have NoteTab create the basic page for me and modify it.
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
        John Wallace wrote:
        > Axel, could you expand on that?

        Bruce has already written about taking text from somewhere and
        making HTML of it. I could say more but that would mean posting my
        clips. These are quite difficult to come to grips with. I have found
        it much easier to start with something very basic and let your own
        clips grow than to try to start with someone else's elaborate ones.

        Axel
      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
          --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "John Wallace" <johnta1@...> wrote:

          > Axel, could you expand on that?
          >
          > Does it require a separate file to do it your way?

          I also have NoteTab generate text files by default.
          When I'm ready to create a new html document, below is the custom template I use (File/Template/Open).
          One caveat, I would give the template a unique name instead of just "HTML", that way it won't be overwritten the next time you install a new version of NoteTab.

          John

          = DocTemplate ClipCode "NoName%0.2d.html"
          ; Get a couple things first
          ^!Set %DOCTITLE%=^?[Enter Web Page Title]
          ^!Set %DOCTYPE%=^?[(T=L;H=2) Transitional or Strict?=_Transitional^=<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">|Strict^=<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">]

          ;Now build the document

          ^%DOCTYPE%
          <head>
          <title>^%DOCTITLE%</title>

          </head>

          ; PUT CURSOR AT THE BEGINNING OF THE BODY SECTION

          ^!Jump DOC_START
          ^!Find <body>
          ^!Jump +1