RE: [NH] Re: Newbie questions

  • John Wallace
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
      Try this:
      View > Options > General tab > File Filters
      change the txt to htm in the default extension section.

      <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1175199/grpspId=1705375618/msgId
      =6606/stime=1239202084/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
        John Wallace wrote:
        > change the txt to htm in the default extension section.

        A reasonable choice IF that is what you want. NoteTab is rather a
        powerful general purpose editor and when I want to start a new HTML
        page from scratch I mostly use one of my templates or the "modify
        document to HTML" option, so it is not for me.

        Axel
      • John Wallace
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
          Axel, could you expand on that?

          Does it require a separate file to do it your way?

          John

          <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1175199/grpspId=1705375618/msgId
          =6608/stime=1239205719/nc1=5658267/nc2=5170420/nc3=5689698>

        • Bruce Meyers
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009

            > John Wallace wrote:
            > > change the txt to htm in the default extension section.
            >
            > A reasonable choice IF that is what you want. NoteTab is rather a
            > powerful general purpose editor and when I want to start a new HTML
            > page from scratch I mostly use one of my templates or the "modify
            > document to HTML" option, so it is not for me.
            >
            > Axel

            I edit several websites as newsletters and I am often sent documents in many different formats - some .doc files, some .rtf files, some .txt files, etc. I copy and paste what I am sent into a blank NoteTab page and save it as a .txt file - the default.
            Then I use the Modify to html. NoteTab automatically creates a new page and when I click on Save As the file is listed as an html file. I then cut and paste the piece of that page into my newsletter page.
            I have two files: one is "newfile.txt" and the other is "newfile.htm". I can see what that page looks like by using any one of three methods: click on the globe, click on tools -> View In Browser, or simply press F8. My default browser is FireFox. I can also click on View in Alternate Browser (something like that) and get the page in IE7 (have not switched to IE8 yet)
            I usually delete both of these after I have cut and pasted what I need.
            I am writing this to add to the discussion about why I want to save files as .txt and then convert them. If I am creating a new page, I will, like Axel, use a template or I will have NoteTab create the basic page for me and modify it.
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
              John Wallace wrote:
              > Axel, could you expand on that?

              Bruce has already written about taking text from somewhere and
              making HTML of it. I could say more but that would mean posting my
              clips. These are quite difficult to come to grips with. I have found
              it much easier to start with something very basic and let your own
              clips grow than to try to start with someone else's elaborate ones.

              Axel
            • John Zeman
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
                --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "John Wallace" <johnta1@...> wrote:

                > Axel, could you expand on that?
                >
                > Does it require a separate file to do it your way?

                I also have NoteTab generate text files by default.
                When I'm ready to create a new html document, below is the custom template I use (File/Template/Open).
                One caveat, I would give the template a unique name instead of just "HTML", that way it won't be overwritten the next time you install a new version of NoteTab.

                John

                = DocTemplate ClipCode "NoName%0.2d.html"
                ; Get a couple things first
                ^!Set %DOCTITLE%=^?[Enter Web Page Title]
                ^!Set %DOCTYPE%=^?[(T=L;H=2) Transitional or Strict?=_Transitional^=<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">|Strict^=<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">]

                ;Now build the document

                ^%DOCTYPE%
                <head>
                <title>^%DOCTITLE%</title>

                </head>

                ; PUT CURSOR AT THE BEGINNING OF THE BODY SECTION

                ^!Jump DOC_START
                ^!Find <body>
                ^!Jump +1