Re: [NH] Re: Newbie questions

    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 8 3:39 AM
      hsavage wrote:
      > To show properly in the browser it must be a complete html
      > page, headers and all.

      Not so. I just tried this simple minded example:

      <H1>This</H1>
      <P>
      will be
      </P><BLOCKQUOTE>
      displayed.
      </BLOCKQUOTE>

      and it was displayed in my browser without saving beforehand. The
      only requirement is, it must be edited as NoName01.htm and NOT the
      default NoName01.txt. In my setup I get this through "New Web Page"
      but I believe the default for this command writes headers and all.

      Anyway, you can try it by using an empty <anyname>.htm and playing
      with that.

      Axel
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 8 7:46 AM
        I changed my default to .htm instead of .txt, because most of what I do
        is html pages. You can do that in View> Options> General Tab. I set mine
        to "%0.3d.htm"

        Axel Berger wrote:

        > hsavage wrote:
        > > To show properly in the browser it must be a complete html
        > > page, headers and all.
        >
        > Not so. I just tried this simple minded example:
        >
        > <H1>This</H1>
        > <P>
        > will be
        > </P><BLOCKQUOTE>
        > displayed.
        > </BLOCKQUOTE>
        >
        > and it was displayed in my browser without saving beforehand. The
        > only requirement is, it must be edited as NoName01.htm and NOT the
        > default NoName01.txt. In my setup I get this through "New Web Page"
        > but I believe the default for this command writes headers and all.
        >
        > Anyway, you can try it by using an empty <anyname>.htm and playing
        > with that.
        >
        > Axel

        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

        ~~~~

        "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."

        Samuel Adams

        "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclination, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

        John Adams
      • John Wallace
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 8 8:11 AM
          Try this:
          View > Options > General tab > File Filters
          change the txt to htm in the default extension section.

          <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1175199/grpspId=1705375618/msgId
          =6606/stime=1239202084/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 8 8:48 AM
            John Wallace wrote:
            > change the txt to htm in the default extension section.

            A reasonable choice IF that is what you want. NoteTab is rather a
            powerful general purpose editor and when I want to start a new HTML
            page from scratch I mostly use one of my templates or the "modify
            document to HTML" option, so it is not for me.

            Axel
          • John Wallace
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 8 8:55 AM
              Axel, could you expand on that?

              Does it require a separate file to do it your way?

              John

              <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1175199/grpspId=1705375618/msgId
              =6608/stime=1239205719/nc1=5658267/nc2=5170420/nc3=5689698>

            • Bruce Meyers
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 8 11:44 AM

                > John Wallace wrote:
                > > change the txt to htm in the default extension section.
                >
                > A reasonable choice IF that is what you want. NoteTab is rather a
                > powerful general purpose editor and when I want to start a new HTML
                > page from scratch I mostly use one of my templates or the "modify
                > document to HTML" option, so it is not for me.
                >
                > Axel

                I edit several websites as newsletters and I am often sent documents in many different formats - some .doc files, some .rtf files, some .txt files, etc. I copy and paste what I am sent into a blank NoteTab page and save it as a .txt file - the default.
                Then I use the Modify to html. NoteTab automatically creates a new page and when I click on Save As the file is listed as an html file. I then cut and paste the piece of that page into my newsletter page.
                I have two files: one is "newfile.txt" and the other is "newfile.htm". I can see what that page looks like by using any one of three methods: click on the globe, click on tools -> View In Browser, or simply press F8. My default browser is FireFox. I can also click on View in Alternate Browser (something like that) and get the page in IE7 (have not switched to IE8 yet)
                I usually delete both of these after I have cut and pasted what I need.
                I am writing this to add to the discussion about why I want to save files as .txt and then convert them. If I am creating a new page, I will, like Axel, use a template or I will have NoteTab create the basic page for me and modify it.
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 8 2:15 PM
                  John Wallace wrote:
                  > Axel, could you expand on that?

                  Bruce has already written about taking text from somewhere and
                  making HTML of it. I could say more but that would mean posting my
                  clips. These are quite difficult to come to grips with. I have found
                  it much easier to start with something very basic and let your own
                  clips grow than to try to start with someone else's elaborate ones.

                  Axel
                • John Zeman
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 8 3:49 PM
                    --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "John Wallace" <johnta1@...> wrote:

                    > Axel, could you expand on that?
                    >
                    > Does it require a separate file to do it your way?

                    I also have NoteTab generate text files by default.
                    When I'm ready to create a new html document, below is the custom template I use (File/Template/Open).
                    One caveat, I would give the template a unique name instead of just "HTML", that way it won't be overwritten the next time you install a new version of NoteTab.

                    John

                    = DocTemplate ClipCode "NoName%0.2d.html"
                    ; Get a couple things first
                    ^!Set %DOCTITLE%=^?[Enter Web Page Title]
                    ^!Set %DOCTYPE%=^?[(T=L;H=2) Transitional or Strict?=_Transitional^=<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">|Strict^=<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">]

                    ;Now build the document

                    ^%DOCTYPE%
                    <head>
                    <title>^%DOCTITLE%</title>

                    </head>

                    ; PUT CURSOR AT THE BEGINNING OF THE BODY SECTION

                    ^!Jump DOC_START
                    ^!Find <body>
                    ^!Jump +1