[NH] Re: Newbie questions

  • ubacanuba
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 7 7:48 PM
      Eureka! Y'all rock! Thank you thank you!!! And, thanks for the warm welcome!

      Lor

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 8 3:39 AM
        hsavage wrote:
        > To show properly in the browser it must be a complete html
        > page, headers and all.

        Not so. I just tried this simple minded example:

        <H1>This</H1>
        <P>
        will be
        </P><BLOCKQUOTE>
        displayed.
        </BLOCKQUOTE>

        and it was displayed in my browser without saving beforehand. The
        only requirement is, it must be edited as NoName01.htm and NOT the
        default NoName01.txt. In my setup I get this through "New Web Page"
        but I believe the default for this command writes headers and all.

        Anyway, you can try it by using an empty <anyname>.htm and playing
        with that.

        Axel
      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 8 7:46 AM
          I changed my default to .htm instead of .txt, because most of what I do
          is html pages. You can do that in View> Options> General Tab. I set mine
          to "%0.3d.htm"

          Axel Berger wrote:

          > hsavage wrote:
          > > To show properly in the browser it must be a complete html
          > > page, headers and all.
          >
          > Not so. I just tried this simple minded example:
          >
          > <H1>This</H1>
          > <P>
          > will be
          > </P><BLOCKQUOTE>
          > displayed.
          > </BLOCKQUOTE>
          >
          > and it was displayed in my browser without saving beforehand. The
          > only requirement is, it must be edited as NoName01.htm and NOT the
          > default NoName01.txt. In my setup I get this through "New Web Page"
          > but I believe the default for this command writes headers and all.
          >
          > Anyway, you can try it by using an empty <anyname>.htm and playing
          > with that.
          >
          > Axel

          Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

          ~~~~

          "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."

          Samuel Adams

          "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclination, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

          John Adams
        • John Wallace
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 8 8:11 AM
            Try this:
            View > Options > General tab > File Filters
            change the txt to htm in the default extension section.

            <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1175199/grpspId=1705375618/msgId
            =6606/stime=1239202084/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 8 8:48 AM
              John Wallace wrote:
              > change the txt to htm in the default extension section.

              A reasonable choice IF that is what you want. NoteTab is rather a
              powerful general purpose editor and when I want to start a new HTML
              page from scratch I mostly use one of my templates or the "modify
              document to HTML" option, so it is not for me.

              Axel
            • John Wallace
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 8 8:55 AM
                Axel, could you expand on that?

                Does it require a separate file to do it your way?

                John

                <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1175199/grpspId=1705375618/msgId
                =6608/stime=1239205719/nc1=5658267/nc2=5170420/nc3=5689698>

              • Bruce Meyers
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 8 11:44 AM

                  > John Wallace wrote:
                  > > change the txt to htm in the default extension section.
                  >
                  > A reasonable choice IF that is what you want. NoteTab is rather a
                  > powerful general purpose editor and when I want to start a new HTML
                  > page from scratch I mostly use one of my templates or the "modify
                  > document to HTML" option, so it is not for me.
                  >
                  > Axel

                  I edit several websites as newsletters and I am often sent documents in many different formats - some .doc files, some .rtf files, some .txt files, etc. I copy and paste what I am sent into a blank NoteTab page and save it as a .txt file - the default.
                  Then I use the Modify to html. NoteTab automatically creates a new page and when I click on Save As the file is listed as an html file. I then cut and paste the piece of that page into my newsletter page.
                  I have two files: one is "newfile.txt" and the other is "newfile.htm". I can see what that page looks like by using any one of three methods: click on the globe, click on tools -> View In Browser, or simply press F8. My default browser is FireFox. I can also click on View in Alternate Browser (something like that) and get the page in IE7 (have not switched to IE8 yet)
                  I usually delete both of these after I have cut and pasted what I need.
                  I am writing this to add to the discussion about why I want to save files as .txt and then convert them. If I am creating a new page, I will, like Axel, use a template or I will have NoteTab create the basic page for me and modify it.
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 8 2:15 PM
                    John Wallace wrote:
                    > Axel, could you expand on that?

                    Bruce has already written about taking text from somewhere and
                    making HTML of it. I could say more but that would mean posting my
                    clips. These are quite difficult to come to grips with. I have found
                    it much easier to start with something very basic and let your own
                    clips grow than to try to start with someone else's elaborate ones.

                    Axel
                  • John Zeman
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 8 3:49 PM
                      --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "John Wallace" <johnta1@...> wrote:

                      > Axel, could you expand on that?
                      >
                      > Does it require a separate file to do it your way?

                      I also have NoteTab generate text files by default.
                      When I'm ready to create a new html document, below is the custom template I use (File/Template/Open).
                      One caveat, I would give the template a unique name instead of just "HTML", that way it won't be overwritten the next time you install a new version of NoteTab.

                      John

                      = DocTemplate ClipCode "NoName%0.2d.html"
                      ; Get a couple things first
                      ^!Set %DOCTITLE%=^?[Enter Web Page Title]
                      ^!Set %DOCTYPE%=^?[(T=L;H=2) Transitional or Strict?=_Transitional^=<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">|Strict^=<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">]

                      ;Now build the document

                      ^%DOCTYPE%
                      <head>
                      <title>^%DOCTITLE%</title>

                      </head>

                      ; PUT CURSOR AT THE BEGINNING OF THE BODY SECTION

                      ^!Jump DOC_START
                      ^!Find <body>
                      ^!Jump +1