Re: [NH] Re: Newbie questions

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 7, 2009
      AND IT MUST BE SAVED WITH A htm/html EXTENSION AS WELL.

      hsavage wrote:
      > ubacanuba wrote:
      > > Hey Guys...
      > >
      > > Thank you so much for your help. I tried setting the Internet browser
      > to Internet Explorer, and I also used the "world with the magnifying
      > glass" icon. I can get the code to go out to Internet Explorer, but it
      > shows as code, not as a formatted web page.
      > >

      > ubacanuba,
      >
      > To show properly in the browser it must be a complete html page, headers
      > and all.
      >
      > ·············································
      > ºvº SL_day# 097 - created 2009.04.07_21.28.48
      >
      > Beer WARNING Label:
      > • The consumption of alcohol
      > • May lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.
      >
      > € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com

      Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

      ~~~~

      "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."

      Samuel Adams

      "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclination, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

      John Adams
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 7, 2009
        ubacanuba wrote:
        >I can get the code to go out to Internet Explorer, but it shows as
        >code, not as a formatted web page.

        You just haven't saved your document as .html. Either you have saved
        it as .txt or it has never been saved at all.

        Once you've saved the document a first time, so it has the right
        extension, you don't need to save it again to view it in a browser.
        Notetab will create a temp document for an unsaved file and delete it
        afterwards.

        Welcome to the group! :-)
        Lotta
      • ubacanuba
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 7, 2009
          Eureka! Y'all rock! Thank you thank you!!! And, thanks for the warm welcome!

          Lor

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
            hsavage wrote:
            > To show properly in the browser it must be a complete html
            > page, headers and all.

            Not so. I just tried this simple minded example:

            <H1>This</H1>
            <P>
            will be
            </P><BLOCKQUOTE>
            displayed.
            </BLOCKQUOTE>

            and it was displayed in my browser without saving beforehand. The
            only requirement is, it must be edited as NoName01.htm and NOT the
            default NoName01.txt. In my setup I get this through "New Web Page"
            but I believe the default for this command writes headers and all.

            Anyway, you can try it by using an empty <anyname>.htm and playing
            with that.

            Axel
          • Jeff Scism
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
              I changed my default to .htm instead of .txt, because most of what I do
              is html pages. You can do that in View> Options> General Tab. I set mine
              to "%0.3d.htm"

              Axel Berger wrote:

              > hsavage wrote:
              > > To show properly in the browser it must be a complete html
              > > page, headers and all.
              >
              > Not so. I just tried this simple minded example:
              >
              > <H1>This</H1>
              > <P>
              > will be
              > </P><BLOCKQUOTE>
              > displayed.
              > </BLOCKQUOTE>
              >
              > and it was displayed in my browser without saving beforehand. The
              > only requirement is, it must be edited as NoName01.htm and NOT the
              > default NoName01.txt. In my setup I get this through "New Web Page"
              > but I believe the default for this command writes headers and all.
              >
              > Anyway, you can try it by using an empty <anyname>.htm and playing
              > with that.
              >
              > Axel

              Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

              ~~~~

              "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."

              Samuel Adams

              "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclination, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

              John Adams
            • John Wallace
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
                Try this:
                View > Options > General tab > File Filters
                change the txt to htm in the default extension section.

                <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1175199/grpspId=1705375618/msgId
                =6606/stime=1239202084/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
                  John Wallace wrote:
                  > change the txt to htm in the default extension section.

                  A reasonable choice IF that is what you want. NoteTab is rather a
                  powerful general purpose editor and when I want to start a new HTML
                  page from scratch I mostly use one of my templates or the "modify
                  document to HTML" option, so it is not for me.

                  Axel
                • John Wallace
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
                    Axel, could you expand on that?

                    Does it require a separate file to do it your way?

                    John

                    <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1175199/grpspId=1705375618/msgId
                    =6608/stime=1239205719/nc1=5658267/nc2=5170420/nc3=5689698>

                  • Bruce Meyers
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009

                      > John Wallace wrote:
                      > > change the txt to htm in the default extension section.
                      >
                      > A reasonable choice IF that is what you want. NoteTab is rather a
                      > powerful general purpose editor and when I want to start a new HTML
                      > page from scratch I mostly use one of my templates or the "modify
                      > document to HTML" option, so it is not for me.
                      >
                      > Axel

                      I edit several websites as newsletters and I am often sent documents in many different formats - some .doc files, some .rtf files, some .txt files, etc. I copy and paste what I am sent into a blank NoteTab page and save it as a .txt file - the default.
                      Then I use the Modify to html. NoteTab automatically creates a new page and when I click on Save As the file is listed as an html file. I then cut and paste the piece of that page into my newsletter page.
                      I have two files: one is "newfile.txt" and the other is "newfile.htm". I can see what that page looks like by using any one of three methods: click on the globe, click on tools -> View In Browser, or simply press F8. My default browser is FireFox. I can also click on View in Alternate Browser (something like that) and get the page in IE7 (have not switched to IE8 yet)
                      I usually delete both of these after I have cut and pasted what I need.
                      I am writing this to add to the discussion about why I want to save files as .txt and then convert them. If I am creating a new page, I will, like Axel, use a template or I will have NoteTab create the basic page for me and modify it.
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
                        John Wallace wrote:
                        > Axel, could you expand on that?

                        Bruce has already written about taking text from somewhere and
                        making HTML of it. I could say more but that would mean posting my
                        clips. These are quite difficult to come to grips with. I have found
                        it much easier to start with something very basic and let your own
                        clips grow than to try to start with someone else's elaborate ones.

                        Axel
                      • John Zeman
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
                          --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "John Wallace" <johnta1@...> wrote:

                          > Axel, could you expand on that?
                          >
                          > Does it require a separate file to do it your way?

                          I also have NoteTab generate text files by default.
                          When I'm ready to create a new html document, below is the custom template I use (File/Template/Open).
                          One caveat, I would give the template a unique name instead of just "HTML", that way it won't be overwritten the next time you install a new version of NoteTab.

                          John

                          = DocTemplate ClipCode "NoName%0.2d.html"
                          ; Get a couple things first
                          ^!Set %DOCTITLE%=^?[Enter Web Page Title]
                          ^!Set %DOCTYPE%=^?[(T=L;H=2) Transitional or Strict?=_Transitional^=<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">|Strict^=<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">]

                          ;Now build the document

                          ^%DOCTYPE%
                          <head>
                          <title>^%DOCTITLE%</title>

                          </head>

                          ; PUT CURSOR AT THE BEGINNING OF THE BODY SECTION

                          ^!Jump DOC_START
                          ^!Find <body>
                          ^!Jump +1