Re: [NH] Re: Newbie questions

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 7, 2009
      ubacanuba wrote:
      > Hey Guys...
      >
      > Thank you so much for your help. I tried setting the Internet browser
      to Internet Explorer, and I also used the "world with the magnifying
      glass" icon. I can get the code to go out to Internet Explorer, but it
      shows as code, not as a formatted web page.

      ubacanuba,

      To show properly in the browser it must be a complete html page, headers
      and all.

      ºvº SL_day# 097 - created 2009.04.07_21.28.48

      Beer WARNING Label:
      • The consumption of alcohol
      • May lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.

      € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 7, 2009
        AND IT MUST BE SAVED WITH A htm/html EXTENSION AS WELL.

        hsavage wrote:
        > ubacanuba wrote:
        > > Hey Guys...
        > >
        > > Thank you so much for your help. I tried setting the Internet browser
        > to Internet Explorer, and I also used the "world with the magnifying
        > glass" icon. I can get the code to go out to Internet Explorer, but it
        > shows as code, not as a formatted web page.
        > >

        > ubacanuba,
        >
        > To show properly in the browser it must be a complete html page, headers
        > and all.
        >
        > ·············································
        > ºvº SL_day# 097 - created 2009.04.07_21.28.48
        >
        > Beer WARNING Label:
        > • The consumption of alcohol
        > • May lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.
        >
        > € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com

        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

        ~~~~

        "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."

        Samuel Adams

        "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclination, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

        John Adams
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 7, 2009
          ubacanuba wrote:
          >I can get the code to go out to Internet Explorer, but it shows as
          >code, not as a formatted web page.

          You just haven't saved your document as .html. Either you have saved
          it as .txt or it has never been saved at all.

          Once you've saved the document a first time, so it has the right
          extension, you don't need to save it again to view it in a browser.
          Notetab will create a temp document for an unsaved file and delete it
          afterwards.

          Welcome to the group! :-)
          Lotta
        • ubacanuba
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 7, 2009
            Eureka! Y'all rock! Thank you thank you!!! And, thanks for the warm welcome!

            Lor

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
              hsavage wrote:
              > To show properly in the browser it must be a complete html
              > page, headers and all.

              Not so. I just tried this simple minded example:

              <H1>This</H1>
              <P>
              will be
              </P><BLOCKQUOTE>
              displayed.
              </BLOCKQUOTE>

              and it was displayed in my browser without saving beforehand. The
              only requirement is, it must be edited as NoName01.htm and NOT the
              default NoName01.txt. In my setup I get this through "New Web Page"
              but I believe the default for this command writes headers and all.

              Anyway, you can try it by using an empty <anyname>.htm and playing
              with that.

              Axel
            • Jeff Scism
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
                I changed my default to .htm instead of .txt, because most of what I do
                is html pages. You can do that in View> Options> General Tab. I set mine
                to "%0.3d.htm"

                Axel Berger wrote:

                > hsavage wrote:
                > > To show properly in the browser it must be a complete html
                > > page, headers and all.
                >
                > Not so. I just tried this simple minded example:
                >
                > <H1>This</H1>
                > <P>
                > will be
                > </P><BLOCKQUOTE>
                > displayed.
                > </BLOCKQUOTE>
                >
                > and it was displayed in my browser without saving beforehand. The
                > only requirement is, it must be edited as NoName01.htm and NOT the
                > default NoName01.txt. In my setup I get this through "New Web Page"
                > but I believe the default for this command writes headers and all.
                >
                > Anyway, you can try it by using an empty <anyname>.htm and playing
                > with that.
                >
                > Axel

                Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

                ~~~~

                "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."

                Samuel Adams

                "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclination, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

                John Adams
              • John Wallace
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
                  Try this:
                  View > Options > General tab > File Filters
                  change the txt to htm in the default extension section.

                  <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1175199/grpspId=1705375618/msgId
                  =6606/stime=1239202084/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
                    John Wallace wrote:
                    > change the txt to htm in the default extension section.

                    A reasonable choice IF that is what you want. NoteTab is rather a
                    powerful general purpose editor and when I want to start a new HTML
                    page from scratch I mostly use one of my templates or the "modify
                    document to HTML" option, so it is not for me.

                    Axel
                  • John Wallace
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
                      Axel, could you expand on that?

                      Does it require a separate file to do it your way?

                      John

                      <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1175199/grpspId=1705375618/msgId
                      =6608/stime=1239205719/nc1=5658267/nc2=5170420/nc3=5689698>

                    • Bruce Meyers
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009

                        > John Wallace wrote:
                        > > change the txt to htm in the default extension section.
                        >
                        > A reasonable choice IF that is what you want. NoteTab is rather a
                        > powerful general purpose editor and when I want to start a new HTML
                        > page from scratch I mostly use one of my templates or the "modify
                        > document to HTML" option, so it is not for me.
                        >
                        > Axel

                        I edit several websites as newsletters and I am often sent documents in many different formats - some .doc files, some .rtf files, some .txt files, etc. I copy and paste what I am sent into a blank NoteTab page and save it as a .txt file - the default.
                        Then I use the Modify to html. NoteTab automatically creates a new page and when I click on Save As the file is listed as an html file. I then cut and paste the piece of that page into my newsletter page.
                        I have two files: one is "newfile.txt" and the other is "newfile.htm". I can see what that page looks like by using any one of three methods: click on the globe, click on tools -> View In Browser, or simply press F8. My default browser is FireFox. I can also click on View in Alternate Browser (something like that) and get the page in IE7 (have not switched to IE8 yet)
                        I usually delete both of these after I have cut and pasted what I need.
                        I am writing this to add to the discussion about why I want to save files as .txt and then convert them. If I am creating a new page, I will, like Axel, use a template or I will have NoteTab create the basic page for me and modify it.
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
                          John Wallace wrote:
                          > Axel, could you expand on that?

                          Bruce has already written about taking text from somewhere and
                          making HTML of it. I could say more but that would mean posting my
                          clips. These are quite difficult to come to grips with. I have found
                          it much easier to start with something very basic and let your own
                          clips grow than to try to start with someone else's elaborate ones.

                          Axel
                        • John Zeman
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
                            --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "John Wallace" <johnta1@...> wrote:

                            > Axel, could you expand on that?
                            >
                            > Does it require a separate file to do it your way?

                            I also have NoteTab generate text files by default.
                            When I'm ready to create a new html document, below is the custom template I use (File/Template/Open).
                            One caveat, I would give the template a unique name instead of just "HTML", that way it won't be overwritten the next time you install a new version of NoteTab.

                            John

                            = DocTemplate ClipCode "NoName%0.2d.html"
                            ; Get a couple things first
                            ^!Set %DOCTITLE%=^?[Enter Web Page Title]
                            ^!Set %DOCTYPE%=^?[(T=L;H=2) Transitional or Strict?=_Transitional^=<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">|Strict^=<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">]

                            ;Now build the document

                            ^%DOCTYPE%
                            <head>
                            <title>^%DOCTITLE%</title>

                            </head>

                            ; PUT CURSOR AT THE BEGINNING OF THE BODY SECTION

                            ^!Jump DOC_START
                            ^!Find <body>
                            ^!Jump +1