Re: [NH] Newbie questions

    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 7, 2009
      ubacanuba wrote:
      > Is there any way to view the html within Notetab Pro so I don't
      > have to keep going out to the web to paste it into a viewer?

      You never need to paste anything. In your browser <open file> the page
      you're editing. In the editor you only need to <save> every once in a
      while and refresh in the browser. No pasting, no reopening, just
      refresh.

      It gets even easier, but I'm short on details here, as my own icon bars
      are heavily customized. In the options <View><Options><Internet> you can
      choose a main and a secondary browser (click the triple dot key). Now if
      I remember correctly "open in main browser" and "open in secondary
      browser" are two icons in the default main icon bar. Just click on those
      at any time and review the current state of your edit.

      Axel
    • ubacanuba
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 7, 2009
        Hey Guys...

        Thank you so much for your help. I tried setting the Internet browser to Internet Explorer, and I also used the "world with the magnifying glass" icon. I can get the code to go out to Internet Explorer, but it shows as code, not as a formatted web page.

        I think I must not be understanding how the html code works, as I can get the code to display in the browser, but not the resulting formatted page. The code works on the website I have it posted to, and displays as I formatted it, but it won't display the page directly in IE.

        Any other thoughts?

        Kindest Regards,
        Lor
        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rawley <rawley@...> wrote:

        > Hi Lor,

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 7, 2009
          ubacanuba wrote:
          > Hey Guys...
          >
          > Thank you so much for your help. I tried setting the Internet browser
          to Internet Explorer, and I also used the "world with the magnifying
          glass" icon. I can get the code to go out to Internet Explorer, but it
          shows as code, not as a formatted web page.

          ubacanuba,

          To show properly in the browser it must be a complete html page, headers
          and all.

          ºvº SL_day# 097 - created 2009.04.07_21.28.48

          Beer WARNING Label:
          • The consumption of alcohol
          • May lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.

          € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
        • Jeff Scism
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 7, 2009
            AND IT MUST BE SAVED WITH A htm/html EXTENSION AS WELL.

            hsavage wrote:
            > ubacanuba wrote:
            > > Hey Guys...
            > >
            > > Thank you so much for your help. I tried setting the Internet browser
            > to Internet Explorer, and I also used the "world with the magnifying
            > glass" icon. I can get the code to go out to Internet Explorer, but it
            > shows as code, not as a formatted web page.
            > >

            > ubacanuba,
            >
            > To show properly in the browser it must be a complete html page, headers
            > and all.
            >
            > ·············································
            > ºvº SL_day# 097 - created 2009.04.07_21.28.48
            >
            > Beer WARNING Label:
            > • The consumption of alcohol
            > • May lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.
            >
            > € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com

            Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

            ~~~~

            "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."

            Samuel Adams

            "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclination, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

            John Adams
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 7, 2009
              ubacanuba wrote:
              >I can get the code to go out to Internet Explorer, but it shows as
              >code, not as a formatted web page.

              You just haven't saved your document as .html. Either you have saved
              it as .txt or it has never been saved at all.

              Once you've saved the document a first time, so it has the right
              extension, you don't need to save it again to view it in a browser.
              Notetab will create a temp document for an unsaved file and delete it
              afterwards.

              Welcome to the group! :-)
              Lotta
            • ubacanuba
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 7, 2009
                Eureka! Y'all rock! Thank you thank you!!! And, thanks for the warm welcome!

                Lor

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
                  hsavage wrote:
                  > To show properly in the browser it must be a complete html
                  > page, headers and all.

                  Not so. I just tried this simple minded example:

                  <H1>This</H1>
                  <P>
                  will be
                  </P><BLOCKQUOTE>
                  displayed.
                  </BLOCKQUOTE>

                  and it was displayed in my browser without saving beforehand. The
                  only requirement is, it must be edited as NoName01.htm and NOT the
                  default NoName01.txt. In my setup I get this through "New Web Page"
                  but I believe the default for this command writes headers and all.

                  Anyway, you can try it by using an empty <anyname>.htm and playing
                  with that.

                  Axel
                • Jeff Scism
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
                    I changed my default to .htm instead of .txt, because most of what I do
                    is html pages. You can do that in View> Options> General Tab. I set mine
                    to "%0.3d.htm"

                    Axel Berger wrote:

                    > hsavage wrote:
                    > > To show properly in the browser it must be a complete html
                    > > page, headers and all.
                    >
                    > Not so. I just tried this simple minded example:
                    >
                    > <H1>This</H1>
                    > <P>
                    > will be
                    > </P><BLOCKQUOTE>
                    > displayed.
                    > </BLOCKQUOTE>
                    >
                    > and it was displayed in my browser without saving beforehand. The
                    > only requirement is, it must be edited as NoName01.htm and NOT the
                    > default NoName01.txt. In my setup I get this through "New Web Page"
                    > but I believe the default for this command writes headers and all.
                    >
                    > Anyway, you can try it by using an empty <anyname>.htm and playing
                    > with that.
                    >
                    > Axel

                    Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

                    ~~~~

                    "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."

                    Samuel Adams

                    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclination, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

                    John Adams
                  • John Wallace
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
                      Try this:
                      View > Options > General tab > File Filters
                      change the txt to htm in the default extension section.

                      <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1175199/grpspId=1705375618/msgId
                      =6606/stime=1239202084/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
                        John Wallace wrote:
                        > change the txt to htm in the default extension section.

                        A reasonable choice IF that is what you want. NoteTab is rather a
                        powerful general purpose editor and when I want to start a new HTML
                        page from scratch I mostly use one of my templates or the "modify
                        document to HTML" option, so it is not for me.

                        Axel
                      • John Wallace
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
                          Axel, could you expand on that?

                          Does it require a separate file to do it your way?

                          John

                          <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1175199/grpspId=1705375618/msgId
                          =6608/stime=1239205719/nc1=5658267/nc2=5170420/nc3=5689698>

                        • Bruce Meyers
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009

                            > John Wallace wrote:
                            > > change the txt to htm in the default extension section.
                            >
                            > A reasonable choice IF that is what you want. NoteTab is rather a
                            > powerful general purpose editor and when I want to start a new HTML
                            > page from scratch I mostly use one of my templates or the "modify
                            > document to HTML" option, so it is not for me.
                            >
                            > Axel

                            I edit several websites as newsletters and I am often sent documents in many different formats - some .doc files, some .rtf files, some .txt files, etc. I copy and paste what I am sent into a blank NoteTab page and save it as a .txt file - the default.
                            Then I use the Modify to html. NoteTab automatically creates a new page and when I click on Save As the file is listed as an html file. I then cut and paste the piece of that page into my newsletter page.
                            I have two files: one is "newfile.txt" and the other is "newfile.htm". I can see what that page looks like by using any one of three methods: click on the globe, click on tools -> View In Browser, or simply press F8. My default browser is FireFox. I can also click on View in Alternate Browser (something like that) and get the page in IE7 (have not switched to IE8 yet)
                            I usually delete both of these after I have cut and pasted what I need.
                            I am writing this to add to the discussion about why I want to save files as .txt and then convert them. If I am creating a new page, I will, like Axel, use a template or I will have NoteTab create the basic page for me and modify it.
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
                              John Wallace wrote:
                              > Axel, could you expand on that?

                              Bruce has already written about taking text from somewhere and
                              making HTML of it. I could say more but that would mean posting my
                              clips. These are quite difficult to come to grips with. I have found
                              it much easier to start with something very basic and let your own
                              clips grow than to try to start with someone else's elaborate ones.

                              Axel
                            • John Zeman
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
                                --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "John Wallace" <johnta1@...> wrote:

                                > Axel, could you expand on that?
                                >
                                > Does it require a separate file to do it your way?

                                I also have NoteTab generate text files by default.
                                When I'm ready to create a new html document, below is the custom template I use (File/Template/Open).
                                One caveat, I would give the template a unique name instead of just "HTML", that way it won't be overwritten the next time you install a new version of NoteTab.

                                John

                                = DocTemplate ClipCode "NoName%0.2d.html"
                                ; Get a couple things first
                                ^!Set %DOCTITLE%=^?[Enter Web Page Title]
                                ^!Set %DOCTYPE%=^?[(T=L;H=2) Transitional or Strict?=_Transitional^=<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">|Strict^=<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">]

                                ;Now build the document

                                ^%DOCTYPE%
                                <head>
                                <title>^%DOCTITLE%</title>

                                </head>

                                ; PUT CURSOR AT THE BEGINNING OF THE BODY SECTION

                                ^!Jump DOC_START
                                ^!Find <body>
                                ^!Jump +1