Newbie questions

  • ubacanuba
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 7 4:14 PM
      Hi all...

      I'm new to text editors and know enough html to get me in trouble--that's about it.

      I used a different text editor for awhile that would allow you to view the html document as a web page within the program.

      I can't for the life of me figure out how I might do that with notetab pro.

      Is there any way to view the html within Notetab Pro so I don't have to keep going out to the web to paste it into a viewer?

      Thanks--I'm betting this is an easy one.

      Lor
    • Michael Rawley
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 7 5:01 PM
        Hi Lor,

        Save your page first.

        With your favourite browser open click on the icon 'world with a
        magnifying glass', fourth from the right on the upper toolbar.

        After that, edit and save your page in Note Tab, click on the browser
        reload button to see the effect of your changes.

        Repeat as required!

        Regards,

        Michael Rawley,
        www.normist.co.uk
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 7 5:33 PM
          ubacanuba wrote:
          > Is there any way to view the html within Notetab Pro so I don't
          > have to keep going out to the web to paste it into a viewer?

          You never need to paste anything. In your browser <open file> the page
          you're editing. In the editor you only need to <save> every once in a
          while and refresh in the browser. No pasting, no reopening, just
          refresh.

          It gets even easier, but I'm short on details here, as my own icon bars
          are heavily customized. In the options <View><Options><Internet> you can
          choose a main and a secondary browser (click the triple dot key). Now if
          I remember correctly "open in main browser" and "open in secondary
          browser" are two icons in the default main icon bar. Just click on those
          at any time and review the current state of your edit.

          Axel
        • ubacanuba
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 7 7:07 PM
            Hey Guys...

            Thank you so much for your help. I tried setting the Internet browser to Internet Explorer, and I also used the "world with the magnifying glass" icon. I can get the code to go out to Internet Explorer, but it shows as code, not as a formatted web page.

            I think I must not be understanding how the html code works, as I can get the code to display in the browser, but not the resulting formatted page. The code works on the website I have it posted to, and displays as I formatted it, but it won't display the page directly in IE.

            Any other thoughts?

            Kindest Regards,
            Lor
            --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rawley <rawley@...> wrote:

            > Hi Lor,

          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 7 7:31 PM
              ubacanuba wrote:
              > Hey Guys...
              >
              > Thank you so much for your help. I tried setting the Internet browser
              to Internet Explorer, and I also used the "world with the magnifying
              glass" icon. I can get the code to go out to Internet Explorer, but it
              shows as code, not as a formatted web page.

              ubacanuba,

              To show properly in the browser it must be a complete html page, headers
              and all.

              ºvº SL_day# 097 - created 2009.04.07_21.28.48

              Beer WARNING Label:
              • The consumption of alcohol
              • May lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.

              € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
            • Jeff Scism
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 7 7:40 PM
                AND IT MUST BE SAVED WITH A htm/html EXTENSION AS WELL.

                hsavage wrote:
                > ubacanuba wrote:
                > > Hey Guys...
                > >
                > > Thank you so much for your help. I tried setting the Internet browser
                > to Internet Explorer, and I also used the "world with the magnifying
                > glass" icon. I can get the code to go out to Internet Explorer, but it
                > shows as code, not as a formatted web page.
                > >

                > ubacanuba,
                >
                > To show properly in the browser it must be a complete html page, headers
                > and all.
                >
                > ·············································
                > ºvº SL_day# 097 - created 2009.04.07_21.28.48
                >
                > Beer WARNING Label:
                > • The consumption of alcohol
                > • May lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.
                >
                > € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com

                Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

                ~~~~

                "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."

                Samuel Adams

                "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclination, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

                John Adams
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 7 7:44 PM
                  ubacanuba wrote:
                  >I can get the code to go out to Internet Explorer, but it shows as
                  >code, not as a formatted web page.

                  You just haven't saved your document as .html. Either you have saved
                  it as .txt or it has never been saved at all.

                  Once you've saved the document a first time, so it has the right
                  extension, you don't need to save it again to view it in a browser.
                  Notetab will create a temp document for an unsaved file and delete it
                  afterwards.

                  Welcome to the group! :-)
                  Lotta
                • ubacanuba
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 7 7:48 PM
                    Eureka! Y'all rock! Thank you thank you!!! And, thanks for the warm welcome!

                    Lor

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 8 3:39 AM
                      hsavage wrote:
                      > To show properly in the browser it must be a complete html
                      > page, headers and all.

                      Not so. I just tried this simple minded example:

                      <H1>This</H1>
                      <P>
                      will be
                      </P><BLOCKQUOTE>
                      displayed.
                      </BLOCKQUOTE>

                      and it was displayed in my browser without saving beforehand. The
                      only requirement is, it must be edited as NoName01.htm and NOT the
                      default NoName01.txt. In my setup I get this through "New Web Page"
                      but I believe the default for this command writes headers and all.

                      Anyway, you can try it by using an empty <anyname>.htm and playing
                      with that.

                      Axel
                    • Jeff Scism
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 8 7:46 AM
                        I changed my default to .htm instead of .txt, because most of what I do
                        is html pages. You can do that in View> Options> General Tab. I set mine
                        to "%0.3d.htm"

                        Axel Berger wrote:

                        > hsavage wrote:
                        > > To show properly in the browser it must be a complete html
                        > > page, headers and all.
                        >
                        > Not so. I just tried this simple minded example:
                        >
                        > <H1>This</H1>
                        > <P>
                        > will be
                        > </P><BLOCKQUOTE>
                        > displayed.
                        > </BLOCKQUOTE>
                        >
                        > and it was displayed in my browser without saving beforehand. The
                        > only requirement is, it must be edited as NoName01.htm and NOT the
                        > default NoName01.txt. In my setup I get this through "New Web Page"
                        > but I believe the default for this command writes headers and all.
                        >
                        > Anyway, you can try it by using an empty <anyname>.htm and playing
                        > with that.
                        >
                        > Axel

                        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

                        ~~~~

                        "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."

                        Samuel Adams

                        "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclination, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

                        John Adams
                      • John Wallace
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 8 8:11 AM
                          Try this:
                          View > Options > General tab > File Filters
                          change the txt to htm in the default extension section.

                          <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1175199/grpspId=1705375618/msgId
                          =6606/stime=1239202084/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 8 8:48 AM
                            John Wallace wrote:
                            > change the txt to htm in the default extension section.

                            A reasonable choice IF that is what you want. NoteTab is rather a
                            powerful general purpose editor and when I want to start a new HTML
                            page from scratch I mostly use one of my templates or the "modify
                            document to HTML" option, so it is not for me.

                            Axel
                          • John Wallace
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 8 8:55 AM
                              Axel, could you expand on that?

                              Does it require a separate file to do it your way?

                              John

                              <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1175199/grpspId=1705375618/msgId
                              =6608/stime=1239205719/nc1=5658267/nc2=5170420/nc3=5689698>

                            • Bruce Meyers
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 8 11:44 AM

                                > John Wallace wrote:
                                > > change the txt to htm in the default extension section.
                                >
                                > A reasonable choice IF that is what you want. NoteTab is rather a
                                > powerful general purpose editor and when I want to start a new HTML
                                > page from scratch I mostly use one of my templates or the "modify
                                > document to HTML" option, so it is not for me.
                                >
                                > Axel

                                I edit several websites as newsletters and I am often sent documents in many different formats - some .doc files, some .rtf files, some .txt files, etc. I copy and paste what I am sent into a blank NoteTab page and save it as a .txt file - the default.
                                Then I use the Modify to html. NoteTab automatically creates a new page and when I click on Save As the file is listed as an html file. I then cut and paste the piece of that page into my newsletter page.
                                I have two files: one is "newfile.txt" and the other is "newfile.htm". I can see what that page looks like by using any one of three methods: click on the globe, click on tools -> View In Browser, or simply press F8. My default browser is FireFox. I can also click on View in Alternate Browser (something like that) and get the page in IE7 (have not switched to IE8 yet)
                                I usually delete both of these after I have cut and pasted what I need.
                                I am writing this to add to the discussion about why I want to save files as .txt and then convert them. If I am creating a new page, I will, like Axel, use a template or I will have NoteTab create the basic page for me and modify it.
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 8 2:15 PM
                                  John Wallace wrote:
                                  > Axel, could you expand on that?

                                  Bruce has already written about taking text from somewhere and
                                  making HTML of it. I could say more but that would mean posting my
                                  clips. These are quite difficult to come to grips with. I have found
                                  it much easier to start with something very basic and let your own
                                  clips grow than to try to start with someone else's elaborate ones.

                                  Axel
                                • John Zeman
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 8 3:49 PM
                                    --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "John Wallace" <johnta1@...> wrote:

                                    > Axel, could you expand on that?
                                    >
                                    > Does it require a separate file to do it your way?

                                    I also have NoteTab generate text files by default.
                                    When I'm ready to create a new html document, below is the custom template I use (File/Template/Open).
                                    One caveat, I would give the template a unique name instead of just "HTML", that way it won't be overwritten the next time you install a new version of NoteTab.

                                    John

                                    = DocTemplate ClipCode "NoName%0.2d.html"
                                    ; Get a couple things first
                                    ^!Set %DOCTITLE%=^?[Enter Web Page Title]
                                    ^!Set %DOCTYPE%=^?[(T=L;H=2) Transitional or Strict?=_Transitional^=<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">|Strict^=<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">]

                                    ;Now build the document

                                    ^%DOCTYPE%
                                    <head>
                                    <title>^%DOCTITLE%</title>

                                    </head>

                                    ; PUT CURSOR AT THE BEGINNING OF THE BODY SECTION

                                    ^!Jump DOC_START
                                    ^!Find <body>
                                    ^!Jump +1