Re: [NH] HTML/CSS question

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 25, 2009
      Hi Michael,
      I don't think attachments are allowed on this list.
      You can send them to me at my email address instead of the list.

      Thanks,
      -Mike
      ==============
      Michael Rawley wrote:
      > Hi Mike,
      >
      > I'm afraid that I didn't read your emailvery well to start with and have
      > made the right-hand blue area of the attached web page wider than the
      > left. Having corrected my mistake, I decided to leave it in. It lies in
      > the right-hand padding in 'wrapper'.
      >
      > However on to the columns. You haven't specified the width of the
      > columns, only the overall width. As well as the overall width you need
      > the width of either one of the columns. As well as this you need to
      > 'float' and 'text-align' right.
      >
      > I hope these thoughts help. If there is anything else please feel free
      > to contact me.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Michael Rawley
      > www.normist.co.uk

      Morgantown WV

      www.EpicRoadTrips.us
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 25, 2009
        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
        > Greetings,
        >
        > I am trying to figure out how to adjust the column widths for this page:
        > http://www.EpicRoadTrips.us/
        > I want to increase the right column slightly and decrease the left column.
        > Any time I change the right column width the layout breaks.
        >
        > CSS:http://www.epicroadtrips.us/ert2_jan-09_files/style.css
        >
        > The page is a modified WordPress template and I did not write any of it.
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > -Mike

        Mike,

        There are a couple of things in play:
        1. you have a background image that will leave the border line in the
        wrong place ...
        http://www.epicroadtrips.us/kubrickbg.jpg

        You will need to correct that.

        2. adjust the following to suit:
        .narrowcolumn {
        float: left;
        padding: 0 0 20px 30px;
        margin: 0 30px 0 0;
        width: 481px;
        }

        .widecolumn {
        padding: 0 0 20px 0;
        margin: 5px 0 0 30px;
        width: 700px;
        }

        3. adjust the following to suit:
        #sidebar
        {
        padding: 5px 0 10px 0;
        margin-left: 540px;
        width: 205px;
        }

        Pay special attention to the margin-left as that will control where goes
        left/right in addition to the width.

        Narrow column is used in one format and wide in the other. One is for
        single posts and the other is for the main page. I believe that this
        page uses only narrowcolumn.

        Don
      • Michael Rawley
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 25, 2009
          Hi Mike,

          Here's the second attempt!

          Michael.

        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 25, 2009
            Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
            > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
            >> Greetings,
            >>
            >> I am trying to figure out how to adjust the column widths for this page:
            >> http://www.EpicRoadTrips.us/
            >> I want to increase the right column slightly and decrease the left column.
            >> Any time I change the right column width the layout breaks.
            >>
            >> CSS:http://www.epicroadtrips.us/ert2_jan-09_files/style.css
            >>
            >> The page is a modified WordPress template and I did not write any of it.
            >>
            >> Any ideas?
            >>
            >> Thanks,
            >> -Mike
            >>
            > Mike,

            Thanks, Don.
            I will see what I can do.
            -Mike

            > There are a couple of things in play:
            > 1. you have a background image that will leave the border line in the
            > wrong place ...
            > http://www.epicroadtrips.us/kubrickbg.jpg
            >
            > You will need to correct that.
            >
            > 2. adjust the following to suit:
            > .narrowcolumn {
            > float: left;
            > padding: 0 0 20px 30px;
            > margin: 0 30px 0 0;
            > width: 481px;
            > }
            >
            > .widecolumn {
            > padding: 0 0 20px 0;
            > margin: 5px 0 0 30px;
            > width: 700px;
            > }
            >
            > 3. adjust the following to suit:
            > #sidebar
            > {
            > padding: 5px 0 10px 0;
            > margin-left: 540px;
            > width: 205px;
            > }
            >
            > Pay special attention to the margin-left as that will control where goes
            > left/right in addition to the width.
            >
            > Narrow column is used in one format and wide in the other. One is for
            > single posts and the other is for the main page. I believe that this
            > page uses only narrowcolumn.
            >
            > Don

            Morgantown WV

            www.EpicRoadTrips.us