Re: [NTB] Question: Insert

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2009
      Hi Han,

      [Copied to NoteTab HTML list]

      On 02 Feb 09 03:48 Han Dinh <dinh.han@...> said:

      > In the attached html file that I edited with NoteTab, typically in
      > section II (Essays), I have to manually INSERT the break <br> to
      > move to the next line.  It is so labor intensive to do so whenever I
      > want to move to the next line.  Is there a better way ?
      >
      > I tried to use the <pre> command, but then the text does not wrap
      > around anymore...So, I have to resort back to the old way, i.e.
      > manually INSERT the break <br> to every new line...

      [Note that attachments are not allowed on NoteTab lists. If you need
      to share a file upload it at:
      or
      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-html/files/
      as appropriate.]

      I am confused by your question. You say you want to force a line break
      with the <br> tag, but complain that the <pre> tag forces a line
      break. There must be more to this problem that you have stated so far.
      (The <pre> tag is intended for certain kinds of text where lines
      endings are key, e.g. program code or poetry.)

      One problem with forced line breaks, using <br>, is that if a
      visitor's window is narrower than the one you design the page for
      then, on their machine, text can appear very broken with alternate
      short lines, caused by the forced breaks.

      For the text of an essay it would be normal to place each paragraph
      within <p> tags. Browsers will then wrap the text within the block
      that contains the <p> tag, often this would be the full width of the
      visitor's window, whatever its size, but possibly narrower depending
      on what tags the <p> is contained in.

      Perhaps you have a page with an absolutely positioned image on it.
      That can create problems for wrapping text. To help we need to see the
      file. Either use one of the links above or upload the file to your
      site and povide a URL so that others can visit it.

      It may be better to follow up your question on the HTML list, if your
      initial question turns out to have been inappropriate.

      Greg
    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2009
        I second your assessment. I too was confused as to why a line break was needed as their use can badly break text on a webpage.