Re: [NH] browser problems

  • Edward
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
      From: "hsavage" <hsavage@...>
      To: <ntb-html@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 12:13 AM
      Subject: Re: [NH] browser problems

      Edward wrote:
      > I just looked in NoteTab.ini and could not find where you set up your
      > choice of browser in the browser and other browser. My "other browser"
      > works great but I cannot view the HTML in the "browser" It should be
      > Internet Explorer but it will not work. I would like to see how it is
      > setup when I make the choice of the firt browser.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Ed Brown

      hsavage wrote;
      >Ed,

      >The, more or less, default way to choose which browsers are used is by
      editing the file 'browsers.dat' in NoteTab's main folder. If you examine
      that file
      you can see the method used. If you need more entries than are already in
      the file just
      copy and paste multiple entries into browsers.dat, edit the name in the
      brackets and
      the appropriate paths in each sections and most browsers can be used with
      'F8' and
      Shift+F8, that is, 'View in browser' and 'Other browsers'.

      >As of now I have six browsers to choose from, had 7 before I uninstalled
      the 'Chrome' browser.

      hsavage,
      Strange I did not have browsers.dat. I must have inadvertently deleted it. I
      downloaded Light and copied the browser.dat into this program. I am not
      familar with all the terms. I wonder if someone could explain the lines in
      the following browser.dat.
      [ie]
      Command=iexplore.exe -nohome
      UseDDE=1
      Application=IExplore
      DdeCommand=
      DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
      Topic=WWW_OpenURL
      Application_New=
      DdeExec_New=
      Topic_New=

      [Opera9]
      ;Add full path to Opera.exe file name below if you have several versions of
      the browser
      Command=Opera.exe
      UseDDE=1
      Application=Opera
      DdeCommand=Opera.exe /nowin /e

      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------w
      I may not need to know the details but what to the following items mean
      under the IE or "Browser".
      `nohome >line 1
      DdeCommand= >line 4
      DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,, >line 5

      [Opera9] >evidently is to open the browser Opera version 9
      ;Add full path to Opera.exe file name below if you have several versions of
      the browser >Line 1 under [Opera9] I only have 1 version of Opera and
      FireFox and I keep them up todate with all the latest updates.
      Command=Opera.exe >line 2 evidently executes the opening of the Opera
      browser
      UseDDE=1 >line 3 why the =1 here and in IE
      DdeCommand=Opera.exe /nowin /e >line 5 what does the "/nowin' perform? and
      also the " /e"

      No where do I see a complete full path to Opera.
      I would like to add FireFox also, and see the code that I would have to use
      including the direct path to FireFox.exe
      which I think would look something like this in my case E: is what I use on
      this computer, on the other two computers I use the Light version and C: E:
      Program Files\Notetab Pro\Notetab.exe. I do not see that in the above code
      of browser.dat, so how does the program find "browser" IE, and in my case
      "Other Browser" I see no direct path to those two browsers. Once I
      understand that I can then add my other browsers.
      Ed

      Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.com/

      ***
      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
        > I may not need to know the details but what to the following items mean
        > under the IE or "Browser".
        > `nohome >line 1
        > DdeCommand= >line 4
        > DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,, >line 5
        >

        > No where do I see a complete full path to Opera.
        > I would like to add FireFox also, and see the code that I would have
        to use
        > including the direct path to FireFox.exe
        > which I think would look something like this in my case E: is what I
        use on
        > this computer, on the other two computers I use the Light version and
        C: E:
        > Program Files\Notetab Pro\Notetab.exe. I do not see that in the
        above code
        > of browser.dat, so how does the program find "browser" IE, and in my
        case
        > "Other Browser" I see no direct path to those two browsers. Once I
        > understand that I can then add my other browsers.
        > Ed

        Ed,

        Previously I said I have six browsers to use, but had 7 before I
        uninstalled the 'Chrome' browser. Make that 8 browsers because I also
        uninstalled 'Safari'.

        Below is an entry for 'Opera' in 'browsers.dat', numbers added for clarity.

        1. [OPERA]
        2. Command="C:\I-Net\Opera\Opera.Exe"
        3. UseDDE=0
        4. Application="C:\I-Net\Opera\Opera.Exe"
        5. DdeCommand=0
        6. DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
        7. Topic=WWW_OpenURL
        8. Application_New=
        9. DdeExec_New=
        10. Topic_New=

        It makes no difference what you '[name]' the entry as long as you use
        that name when referencing that browser when using 'F8' and 'Shift+F8'.

        All my 'browsers.dat' entries are identical except for lines 1, 2, 4,
        and they all work correctly. You will have to locate the executables
        and furnish the paths for the dat file.

        You should be able to do that using the 'Find File' function with
        'Windows Explorer' or other file manager.

        About the questions at the top, the 'command line parameter' -nohome, I
        think prevents 'IE' from opening to a pre-selected 'homepage'. The
        'DdeCommand=0' and 'DdeExec=whatever' have to do with 'Dynamic Data
        Exchange' of which I'm not sure it is. Mine all work set as above.

        ºvº SL_day# 344 - created 2008.12.09_10.18.46

        World's Shortest Books
        • America's Most Popular Lawyers

        € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
      • Edward
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
          hsavage wrote:

          >Ed,

          >Previously I said I have six browsers to use, but had 7 before I
          uninstalled the 'Chrome' browser. Make that 8 browsers because I also
          uninstalled 'Safari'.

          >Below is an entry for 'Opera' in 'browsers.dat', numbers added for clarity.

          1. [OPERA]
          2. Command="C:\I-Net\Opera\Opera.Exe"
          3. UseDDE=0
          4. Application="C:\I-Net\Opera\Opera.Exe"
          5. DdeCommand=0
          6. DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
          7. Topic=WWW_OpenURL
          8. Application_New=
          9. DdeExec_New=
          10. Topic_New=

          >It makes no difference what you '[name]' the entry as long as you use
          that name when referencing that browser when using 'F8' and 'Shift+F8'.

          >All my 'browsers.dat' entries are identical except for lines 1, 2, 4,
          and they all work correctly. You will have to locate the executables
          and furnish the paths for the dat file.

          >You should be able to do that using the 'Find File' function with
          'Windows Explorer' or other file manager.

          >About the questions at the top, the 'command line parameter' -nohome, I
          think prevents 'IE' from opening to a pre-selected 'homepage'. The
          'DdeCommand=0' and 'DdeExec=whatever' have to do with 'Dynamic Data
          Exchange' of which I'm not sure it is. Mine all work set as above.

          One last question, we have tabs 'F8' and 'shift+F8, that gets us our Browser
          and the Other Browser, if we have 3 or more browsers how do we choose the
          one we want using shift+F8?

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
            Edward wrote:
            Edward wrote:
            > hsavage wrote:
            >
            >> Ed,
            > One last question, we have tabs 'F8' and 'shift+F8, that gets us our
            Browser
            > and the Other Browser, if we have 3 or more browsers how do we choose the
            > one we want using shift+F8?
            > ed

            Ed,

            You can either go into 'View > Options > Internet' and switch them
            manually or use a clip similar to the one I wrote that will give access
            to all the entries you want that are in 'browsers.dat.'

            Since this is about browsers and using a clip is necessary it should be
            OK to include it here. You'll have to edit the entries in the '^!Set
            %browser%=' line to coincide with the entry names in you dat file.

            Any questions about the clip please respond on the 'clips list'.

            -----------------------
            H="Multi-Browsers"
            ; • Modified-Updated~Created_2008.09.28
            ; • hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_11:22:14a
            ; • Uses Browsers.Dat File Entries
            ^!SetWizardWidth 100
            ^!SetWizardTitle "Select ALTERNATE Browsers"
            ^!SetWizardLabel "PICK A BROWSER,^%nL%MAY SELECT MORE THAN ONE -"
            ^!SetListDelimiter |
            ;
            ; • for more browsers.dat entries add vbar delimiter and name
            ; • to end of next line inside the quotes, also,
            ^!Set %browser%=AVANT|FIREFOX|IEXPLORE|K-MELEON|MAXTHON|OPERA
            ; • add/edit an additional entry for new browser in browsers.dat file
            ;
            ; • this first ^!Set %url% line is very long, may get wrapped in email.
            ^!Set %url%=^?{(T=O;H=11)VIEW THIS FILE, OR, SELECT ANOTHER==^##};
            %browser%="^?{(T=A;H=9)BROWSER TO VIEW FILE WITH==^%browser%}"
            ;
            ^!Set %url%=^$StrReplace("|";":";"^$FileToUrl(^##)$";0;0)$
            ;
            ^!SetArray %prog%=^$StrReplace("_";"";"^%prog%"";0;0)$
            ^!SetArray %browser%=^%browser%
            ^!Set %count%=^%browser0%; %loop%=0
            :LOOP
            ^!Inc %loop%
            ^!Url ["^%browser^%loop%%"] "^%url%"
            ;^!Delay 1
            ^!If ^%loop% < ^%count% LOOP

            ºvº SL_day# 344 - created 2008.12.09_13.23.29

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
              Thank you and your clip works great. I did have to unwrap the long line, but
              with just a little knowledge I was able to do so easily.
              Ed
              -- Unknown