Re: [NH] browser problems

  • Edward
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 8, 2008
      Ian
      I think this problem is in the path for the choosing the browser. The
      browser by itself works great. When I select it I get this error message
      "This application has failed to start because iertutil.dll was not found.
      Since I do not get that error when I select IE I believe this is trying to
      select my browser from the C: . That drive is corrupted and I know use the
      E: drive. I just need to tell it to select the IE browser on the E: drive.
      Ed

      Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people,
      who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate.
      -- Sigmund Freud

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 8, 2008
        Edward wrote:
        > I just looked in NoteTab.ini and could not find where you set up your
        > choice of browser in the browser and other browser. My "other browser"
        > works great but I cannot view the HTML in the "browser" It should be
        > Internet Explorer but it will not work. I would like to see how it is
        > setup when I make the choice of the firt browser.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Ed Brown

        Ed,

        The, more or less, default way to choose which browsers are used is by
        editing the
        file 'browsers.dat' in NoteTab's main folder. If you examine that file
        you can see the
        method used. If you need more entries than are already in the file just
        copy and paste
        multiple entries into browsers.dat, edit the name in the brackets and
        the appropriate
        paths in each sections and most browsers can be used with 'F8' and
        Shift+F8, that is,
        'View in browser' and 'Other browsers'.

        As of now I have six browsers to choose from, had 7 before I uninstalled
        the 'Chrome' browser.

        ºvº SL_day# 344 - created 2008.12.09_00.02.05

        World's Shortest Books
        • America's Most Popular Lawyers

        € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
      • Edward
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
          > I just looked in NoteTab.ini and could not find where you set up your
          > choice of browser in the browser and other browser. My "other browser"
          > works great but I cannot view the HTML in the "browser" It should be
          > Internet Explorer but it will not work. I would like to see how it is
          > setup when I make the choice of the firt browser.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Ed Brown

          hsavage wrote;
          >Ed,

          >The, more or less, default way to choose which browsers are used is by
          editing the file 'browsers.dat' in NoteTab's main folder. If you examine
          that file
          you can see the method used. If you need more entries than are already in
          the file just
          copy and paste multiple entries into browsers.dat, edit the name in the
          brackets and
          the appropriate paths in each sections and most browsers can be used with
          'F8' and
          Shift+F8, that is, 'View in browser' and 'Other browsers'.

          >As of now I have six browsers to choose from, had 7 before I uninstalled
          the 'Chrome' browser.

          hsavage,
          Strange I did not have browsers.dat. I must have inadvertently deleted it. I
          downloaded Light and copied the browser.dat into this program. I am not
          familar with all the terms. I wonder if someone could explain the lines in
          the following browser.dat.
          [ie]
          Command=iexplore.exe -nohome
          UseDDE=1
          Application=IExplore
          DdeCommand=
          DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
          Topic=WWW_OpenURL
          Application_New=
          DdeExec_New=
          Topic_New=

          [Opera9]
          ;Add full path to Opera.exe file name below if you have several versions of
          the browser
          Command=Opera.exe
          UseDDE=1
          Application=Opera
          DdeCommand=Opera.exe /nowin /e

          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------w
          I may not need to know the details but what to the following items mean
          under the IE or "Browser".
          `nohome >line 1
          DdeCommand= >line 4
          DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,, >line 5

          [Opera9] >evidently is to open the browser Opera version 9
          ;Add full path to Opera.exe file name below if you have several versions of
          the browser >Line 1 under [Opera9] I only have 1 version of Opera and
          FireFox and I keep them up todate with all the latest updates.
          Command=Opera.exe >line 2 evidently executes the opening of the Opera
          browser
          UseDDE=1 >line 3 why the =1 here and in IE
          DdeCommand=Opera.exe /nowin /e >line 5 what does the "/nowin' perform? and
          also the " /e"

          No where do I see a complete full path to Opera.
          I would like to add FireFox also, and see the code that I would have to use
          including the direct path to FireFox.exe
          which I think would look something like this in my case E: is what I use on
          this computer, on the other two computers I use the Light version and C: E:
          Program Files\Notetab Pro\Notetab.exe. I do not see that in the above code
          of browser.dat, so how does the program find "browser" IE, and in my case
          "Other Browser" I see no direct path to those two browsers. Once I
          understand that I can then add my other browsers.
          Ed

          Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.com/

          ***
          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
            > I may not need to know the details but what to the following items mean
            > under the IE or "Browser".
            > `nohome >line 1
            > DdeCommand= >line 4
            > DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,, >line 5
            >

            > No where do I see a complete full path to Opera.
            > I would like to add FireFox also, and see the code that I would have
            to use
            > including the direct path to FireFox.exe
            > which I think would look something like this in my case E: is what I
            use on
            > this computer, on the other two computers I use the Light version and
            C: E:
            > Program Files\Notetab Pro\Notetab.exe. I do not see that in the
            above code
            > of browser.dat, so how does the program find "browser" IE, and in my
            case
            > "Other Browser" I see no direct path to those two browsers. Once I
            > understand that I can then add my other browsers.
            > Ed

            Ed,

            Previously I said I have six browsers to use, but had 7 before I
            uninstalled the 'Chrome' browser. Make that 8 browsers because I also
            uninstalled 'Safari'.

            Below is an entry for 'Opera' in 'browsers.dat', numbers added for clarity.

            1. [OPERA]
            2. Command="C:\I-Net\Opera\Opera.Exe"
            3. UseDDE=0
            4. Application="C:\I-Net\Opera\Opera.Exe"
            5. DdeCommand=0
            6. DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
            7. Topic=WWW_OpenURL
            8. Application_New=
            9. DdeExec_New=
            10. Topic_New=

            It makes no difference what you '[name]' the entry as long as you use
            that name when referencing that browser when using 'F8' and 'Shift+F8'.

            All my 'browsers.dat' entries are identical except for lines 1, 2, 4,
            and they all work correctly. You will have to locate the executables
            and furnish the paths for the dat file.

            You should be able to do that using the 'Find File' function with
            'Windows Explorer' or other file manager.

            About the questions at the top, the 'command line parameter' -nohome, I
            think prevents 'IE' from opening to a pre-selected 'homepage'. The
            'DdeCommand=0' and 'DdeExec=whatever' have to do with 'Dynamic Data
            Exchange' of which I'm not sure it is. Mine all work set as above.

            ºvº SL_day# 344 - created 2008.12.09_10.18.46

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
              hsavage wrote:

              >Ed,

              >Previously I said I have six browsers to use, but had 7 before I
              uninstalled the 'Chrome' browser. Make that 8 browsers because I also
              uninstalled 'Safari'.

              >Below is an entry for 'Opera' in 'browsers.dat', numbers added for clarity.

              1. [OPERA]
              2. Command="C:\I-Net\Opera\Opera.Exe"
              3. UseDDE=0
              4. Application="C:\I-Net\Opera\Opera.Exe"
              5. DdeCommand=0
              6. DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
              7. Topic=WWW_OpenURL
              8. Application_New=
              9. DdeExec_New=
              10. Topic_New=

              >It makes no difference what you '[name]' the entry as long as you use
              that name when referencing that browser when using 'F8' and 'Shift+F8'.

              >All my 'browsers.dat' entries are identical except for lines 1, 2, 4,
              and they all work correctly. You will have to locate the executables
              and furnish the paths for the dat file.

              >You should be able to do that using the 'Find File' function with
              'Windows Explorer' or other file manager.

              >About the questions at the top, the 'command line parameter' -nohome, I
              think prevents 'IE' from opening to a pre-selected 'homepage'. The
              'DdeCommand=0' and 'DdeExec=whatever' have to do with 'Dynamic Data
              Exchange' of which I'm not sure it is. Mine all work set as above.

              One last question, we have tabs 'F8' and 'shift+F8, that gets us our Browser
              and the Other Browser, if we have 3 or more browsers how do we choose the
              one we want using shift+F8?

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
                Edward wrote:
                Edward wrote:
                > hsavage wrote:
                >
                >> Ed,
                > One last question, we have tabs 'F8' and 'shift+F8, that gets us our
                Browser
                > and the Other Browser, if we have 3 or more browsers how do we choose the
                > one we want using shift+F8?
                > ed

                Ed,

                You can either go into 'View > Options > Internet' and switch them
                manually or use a clip similar to the one I wrote that will give access
                to all the entries you want that are in 'browsers.dat.'

                Since this is about browsers and using a clip is necessary it should be
                OK to include it here. You'll have to edit the entries in the '^!Set
                %browser%=' line to coincide with the entry names in you dat file.

                Any questions about the clip please respond on the 'clips list'.

                -----------------------
                H="Multi-Browsers"
                ; • Modified-Updated~Created_2008.09.28
                ; • hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_11:22:14a
                ; • Uses Browsers.Dat File Entries
                ^!SetWizardWidth 100
                ^!SetWizardTitle "Select ALTERNATE Browsers"
                ^!SetWizardLabel "PICK A BROWSER,^%nL%MAY SELECT MORE THAN ONE -"
                ^!SetListDelimiter |
                ;
                ; • for more browsers.dat entries add vbar delimiter and name
                ; • to end of next line inside the quotes, also,
                ^!Set %browser%=AVANT|FIREFOX|IEXPLORE|K-MELEON|MAXTHON|OPERA
                ; • add/edit an additional entry for new browser in browsers.dat file
                ;
                ; • this first ^!Set %url% line is very long, may get wrapped in email.
                ^!Set %url%=^?{(T=O;H=11)VIEW THIS FILE, OR, SELECT ANOTHER==^##};
                %browser%="^?{(T=A;H=9)BROWSER TO VIEW FILE WITH==^%browser%}"
                ;
                ^!Set %url%=^$StrReplace("|";":";"^$FileToUrl(^##)$";0;0)$
                ;
                ^!SetArray %prog%=^$StrReplace("_";"";"^%prog%"";0;0)$
                ^!SetArray %browser%=^%browser%
                ^!Set %count%=^%browser0%; %loop%=0
                :LOOP
                ^!Inc %loop%
                ^!Url ["^%browser^%loop%%"] "^%url%"
                ;^!Delay 1
                ^!If ^%loop% < ^%count% LOOP

                ºvº SL_day# 344 - created 2008.12.09_13.23.29

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
                  Thank you and your clip works great. I did have to unwrap the long line, but
                  with just a little knowledge I was able to do so easily.
                  Ed
                  -- Unknown