browser problems

  • Edward
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 8, 2008
      I just looked in NoteTab.ini and could not find where you set up your choice of browser in the browser and other browser. My "other browser" works great but I cannot view the HTML in the "browser" It should be Internet Explorer but it will not work. I would like to see how it is setup when I make the choice of the firt browser. Thanks
      Ed Brown

      Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people,
      who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate.
      -- Sigmund Freud

    • Ian C. Purdie
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 8, 2008
        Edward wrote:
        > I just looked in NoteTab.ini and could not find where you set up your choice of browser in the browser and other browser. My "other browser" works great but I cannot view the HTML in the "browser" It should be Internet Explorer but it will not work. I would like to see how it is setup when I make the choice of the firt browser. Thanks
        > Ed Brown

        Ed, from my Help file and it's been years since I had to worry about this:

        "Options | Internet

        This tab is not displayed if the "Show HTML Features" has been unchecked!

        Main Browser: Leave this field blank if you want NoteTab to use your
        default browser. If you want to use Internet Explorer, entering
        "IExplore" (without the quotes) should be enough. If it doesn't start
        the browser, you can click on the Browse button [...] to find the
        browser program file. To launch Opera, enter "Opera"; to launch
        Mozilla, enter "Mozilla"; to launch.Netscape 4.x (or older), enter
        Netscape; to launch Netscape 6.x, enter "Netscp6". You can customize
        the way a browser is launched by editing the Browsers.dat file. You
        can force a browser to launch in a maximized state by putting a "+"
        character in front of the browser criteria (e.g., +IExplore)..."

        Thanks! :)

        Ian C. Purdie - VK2TIP
        http://www.electronics-tutorials.com/
      • Edward
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 8, 2008
          Ian
          I think this problem is in the path for the choosing the browser. The
          browser by itself works great. When I select it I get this error message
          "This application has failed to start because iertutil.dll was not found.
          Since I do not get that error when I select IE I believe this is trying to
          select my browser from the C: . That drive is corrupted and I know use the
          E: drive. I just need to tell it to select the IE browser on the E: drive.
          Ed

          Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people,
          who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate.
          -- Sigmund Freud

          >> I just looked in NoteTab.ini and could not find where you set up your
          >> choice of browser in the browser and other browser. My "other browser"
          >> works great but I cannot view the HTML in the "browser" It should be
          >> Internet Explorer but it will not work. I would like to see how it is
          >> setup when I make the choice of the firt browser. Thanks
          >> Ed Brown
          >
          > Ed, from my Help file and it's been years since I had to worry about this:
          >
          > "Options | Internet
          >
          > This tab is not displayed if the "Show HTML Features" has been unchecked!
          >
          > Main Browser: Leave this field blank if you want NoteTab to use your
          > default browser. If you want to use Internet Explorer, entering
          > "IExplore" (without the quotes) should be enough. If it doesn't start
          > the browser, you can click on the Browse button [...] to find the
          > browser program file. To launch Opera, enter "Opera"; to launch
          > Mozilla, enter "Mozilla"; to launch.Netscape 4.x (or older), enter
          > Netscape; to launch Netscape 6.x, enter "Netscp6". You can customize
          > the way a browser is launched by editing the Browsers.dat file. You
          > can force a browser to launch in a maximized state by putting a "+"
          > character in front of the browser criteria (e.g., +IExplore)..."
          >

          > Thanks! :)
          >
          > Ian C. Purdie - VK2TIP
          > http://www.electronics-tutorials.com/

        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 8, 2008
            Edward wrote:
            > I just looked in NoteTab.ini and could not find where you set up your
            > choice of browser in the browser and other browser. My "other browser"
            > works great but I cannot view the HTML in the "browser" It should be
            > Internet Explorer but it will not work. I would like to see how it is
            > setup when I make the choice of the firt browser.
            >
            > Thanks
            > Ed Brown

            Ed,

            The, more or less, default way to choose which browsers are used is by
            editing the
            file 'browsers.dat' in NoteTab's main folder. If you examine that file
            you can see the
            method used. If you need more entries than are already in the file just
            copy and paste
            multiple entries into browsers.dat, edit the name in the brackets and
            the appropriate
            paths in each sections and most browsers can be used with 'F8' and
            Shift+F8, that is,
            'View in browser' and 'Other browsers'.

            As of now I have six browsers to choose from, had 7 before I uninstalled
            the 'Chrome' browser.

            ºvº SL_day# 344 - created 2008.12.09_00.02.05

            World's Shortest Books
            • America's Most Popular Lawyers

            € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
          • Edward
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
              > I just looked in NoteTab.ini and could not find where you set up your
              > choice of browser in the browser and other browser. My "other browser"
              > works great but I cannot view the HTML in the "browser" It should be
              > Internet Explorer but it will not work. I would like to see how it is
              > setup when I make the choice of the firt browser.
              >
              > Thanks
              > Ed Brown

              hsavage wrote;
              >Ed,

              >The, more or less, default way to choose which browsers are used is by
              editing the file 'browsers.dat' in NoteTab's main folder. If you examine
              that file
              you can see the method used. If you need more entries than are already in
              the file just
              copy and paste multiple entries into browsers.dat, edit the name in the
              brackets and
              the appropriate paths in each sections and most browsers can be used with
              'F8' and
              Shift+F8, that is, 'View in browser' and 'Other browsers'.

              >As of now I have six browsers to choose from, had 7 before I uninstalled
              the 'Chrome' browser.

              hsavage,
              Strange I did not have browsers.dat. I must have inadvertently deleted it. I
              downloaded Light and copied the browser.dat into this program. I am not
              familar with all the terms. I wonder if someone could explain the lines in
              the following browser.dat.
              [ie]
              Command=iexplore.exe -nohome
              UseDDE=1
              Application=IExplore
              DdeCommand=
              DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
              Topic=WWW_OpenURL
              Application_New=
              DdeExec_New=
              Topic_New=

              [Opera9]
              ;Add full path to Opera.exe file name below if you have several versions of
              the browser
              Command=Opera.exe
              UseDDE=1
              Application=Opera
              DdeCommand=Opera.exe /nowin /e

              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------w
              I may not need to know the details but what to the following items mean
              under the IE or "Browser".
              `nohome >line 1
              DdeCommand= >line 4
              DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,, >line 5

              [Opera9] >evidently is to open the browser Opera version 9
              ;Add full path to Opera.exe file name below if you have several versions of
              the browser >Line 1 under [Opera9] I only have 1 version of Opera and
              FireFox and I keep them up todate with all the latest updates.
              Command=Opera.exe >line 2 evidently executes the opening of the Opera
              browser
              UseDDE=1 >line 3 why the =1 here and in IE
              DdeCommand=Opera.exe /nowin /e >line 5 what does the "/nowin' perform? and
              also the " /e"

              No where do I see a complete full path to Opera.
              I would like to add FireFox also, and see the code that I would have to use
              including the direct path to FireFox.exe
              which I think would look something like this in my case E: is what I use on
              this computer, on the other two computers I use the Light version and C: E:
              Program Files\Notetab Pro\Notetab.exe. I do not see that in the above code
              of browser.dat, so how does the program find "browser" IE, and in my case
              "Other Browser" I see no direct path to those two browsers. Once I
              understand that I can then add my other browsers.
              Ed

              Fookes Software: http://www.fookes.com/

              ***
              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
                > I may not need to know the details but what to the following items mean
                > under the IE or "Browser".
                > `nohome >line 1
                > DdeCommand= >line 4
                > DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,, >line 5
                >

                > No where do I see a complete full path to Opera.
                > I would like to add FireFox also, and see the code that I would have
                to use
                > including the direct path to FireFox.exe
                > which I think would look something like this in my case E: is what I
                use on
                > this computer, on the other two computers I use the Light version and
                C: E:
                > Program Files\Notetab Pro\Notetab.exe. I do not see that in the
                above code
                > of browser.dat, so how does the program find "browser" IE, and in my
                case
                > "Other Browser" I see no direct path to those two browsers. Once I
                > understand that I can then add my other browsers.
                > Ed

                Ed,

                Previously I said I have six browsers to use, but had 7 before I
                uninstalled the 'Chrome' browser. Make that 8 browsers because I also
                uninstalled 'Safari'.

                Below is an entry for 'Opera' in 'browsers.dat', numbers added for clarity.

                1. [OPERA]
                2. Command="C:\I-Net\Opera\Opera.Exe"
                3. UseDDE=0
                4. Application="C:\I-Net\Opera\Opera.Exe"
                5. DdeCommand=0
                6. DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
                7. Topic=WWW_OpenURL
                8. Application_New=
                9. DdeExec_New=
                10. Topic_New=

                It makes no difference what you '[name]' the entry as long as you use
                that name when referencing that browser when using 'F8' and 'Shift+F8'.

                All my 'browsers.dat' entries are identical except for lines 1, 2, 4,
                and they all work correctly. You will have to locate the executables
                and furnish the paths for the dat file.

                You should be able to do that using the 'Find File' function with
                'Windows Explorer' or other file manager.

                About the questions at the top, the 'command line parameter' -nohome, I
                think prevents 'IE' from opening to a pre-selected 'homepage'. The
                'DdeCommand=0' and 'DdeExec=whatever' have to do with 'Dynamic Data
                Exchange' of which I'm not sure it is. Mine all work set as above.

                ºvº SL_day# 344 - created 2008.12.09_10.18.46

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
                  hsavage wrote:

                  >Ed,

                  >Previously I said I have six browsers to use, but had 7 before I
                  uninstalled the 'Chrome' browser. Make that 8 browsers because I also
                  uninstalled 'Safari'.

                  >Below is an entry for 'Opera' in 'browsers.dat', numbers added for clarity.

                  1. [OPERA]
                  2. Command="C:\I-Net\Opera\Opera.Exe"
                  3. UseDDE=0
                  4. Application="C:\I-Net\Opera\Opera.Exe"
                  5. DdeCommand=0
                  6. DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
                  7. Topic=WWW_OpenURL
                  8. Application_New=
                  9. DdeExec_New=
                  10. Topic_New=

                  >It makes no difference what you '[name]' the entry as long as you use
                  that name when referencing that browser when using 'F8' and 'Shift+F8'.

                  >All my 'browsers.dat' entries are identical except for lines 1, 2, 4,
                  and they all work correctly. You will have to locate the executables
                  and furnish the paths for the dat file.

                  >You should be able to do that using the 'Find File' function with
                  'Windows Explorer' or other file manager.

                  >About the questions at the top, the 'command line parameter' -nohome, I
                  think prevents 'IE' from opening to a pre-selected 'homepage'. The
                  'DdeCommand=0' and 'DdeExec=whatever' have to do with 'Dynamic Data
                  Exchange' of which I'm not sure it is. Mine all work set as above.

                  One last question, we have tabs 'F8' and 'shift+F8, that gets us our Browser
                  and the Other Browser, if we have 3 or more browsers how do we choose the
                  one we want using shift+F8?

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
                    Edward wrote:
                    Edward wrote:
                    > hsavage wrote:
                    >
                    >> Ed,
                    > One last question, we have tabs 'F8' and 'shift+F8, that gets us our
                    Browser
                    > and the Other Browser, if we have 3 or more browsers how do we choose the
                    > one we want using shift+F8?
                    > ed

                    Ed,

                    You can either go into 'View > Options > Internet' and switch them
                    manually or use a clip similar to the one I wrote that will give access
                    to all the entries you want that are in 'browsers.dat.'

                    Since this is about browsers and using a clip is necessary it should be
                    OK to include it here. You'll have to edit the entries in the '^!Set
                    %browser%=' line to coincide with the entry names in you dat file.

                    Any questions about the clip please respond on the 'clips list'.

                    -----------------------
                    H="Multi-Browsers"
                    ; • Modified-Updated~Created_2008.09.28
                    ; • hrs ø hsavage·pobox·com_11:22:14a
                    ; • Uses Browsers.Dat File Entries
                    ^!SetWizardWidth 100
                    ^!SetWizardTitle "Select ALTERNATE Browsers"
                    ^!SetWizardLabel "PICK A BROWSER,^%nL%MAY SELECT MORE THAN ONE -"
                    ^!SetListDelimiter |
                    ;
                    ; • for more browsers.dat entries add vbar delimiter and name
                    ; • to end of next line inside the quotes, also,
                    ^!Set %browser%=AVANT|FIREFOX|IEXPLORE|K-MELEON|MAXTHON|OPERA
                    ; • add/edit an additional entry for new browser in browsers.dat file
                    ;
                    ; • this first ^!Set %url% line is very long, may get wrapped in email.
                    ^!Set %url%=^?{(T=O;H=11)VIEW THIS FILE, OR, SELECT ANOTHER==^##};
                    %browser%="^?{(T=A;H=9)BROWSER TO VIEW FILE WITH==^%browser%}"
                    ;
                    ^!Set %url%=^$StrReplace("|";":";"^$FileToUrl(^##)$";0;0)$
                    ;
                    ^!SetArray %prog%=^$StrReplace("_";"";"^%prog%"";0;0)$
                    ^!SetArray %browser%=^%browser%
                    ^!Set %count%=^%browser0%; %loop%=0
                    :LOOP
                    ^!Inc %loop%
                    ^!Url ["^%browser^%loop%%"] "^%url%"
                    ;^!Delay 1
                    ^!If ^%loop% < ^%count% LOOP

                    ºvº SL_day# 344 - created 2008.12.09_13.23.29

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 9, 2008
                      Thank you and your clip works great. I did have to unwrap the long line, but
                      with just a little knowledge I was able to do so easily.
                      Ed
                      -- Unknown