Re: [NH] Strange characters...

    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 10, 2008
      >We do know, Bob told us. He uses NoteTab and writes in his native
      >Windows charset.

      Axel, it's only the so called illegal range that's unique to the
      windows codepage. The rest, as the superscript characters at hand, are not.

      >If Bob can make the server send the correct HTTP headers, that's best.
      >Only his provider can tell him that.

      Trial and error works pretty well too. ;-)

      >The two providers I'm using (one is
      >my own choice and with the other I'm webmaster for someone else) don't,
      >but at least allow me to stop them sending the wrong ones.

      Do they let you use .htaccess but they don't let you use it to
      declare the character encoding? That sounds strange and unusual indeed.

      >encoded as cp-1252 (of which terms like AnsiNew and others are synonyms,
      >but not ANSI, Latin-1 or ISO 8859-1). So if you go and tell that to the
      >browsers rendering your pages, you'll be fine.

      So he will with an iso latin charset.

      I'll be quiet now. This doesn't lead anywhere and has very little to
      do with Bob's question. Again, I'm sorry for this bickering. It
      really wasn't my intention but that's how it turned out. I just
      wanted Bob to get an answer to his question.