Re: [NH] find/replace in tags

  • Don Strack
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2008
      > Reg. Exp.: \<td class\="[^"]*"\>([^<]*)\</td\>
      > Replace with: <td>$1</td>
      >
      > [ ] Case Sensitive [x] Regular Exp.
      >
      > Does this help?
      >
      > I suggest you dive into Regular Expressions. The NTP help file
      > contains
      > some hints, and you might find some links to tutorials here:
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression

      I guess I asked the wrong question. What I meant to ask was:

      How do I strip everything from inside the <td> tags. I tried the above
      string, I'm not able to figure out what to leave in and what to take out.

      I see what the \ before the various characters does, to maintain the
      parts do?

      [^"]*

      and

      ([^<]*)

      Whatever I try, it either finds nothing, or selects everything between
      the first <td> and the last </td>.

      I've inherited with over 100 files that were autogenerated over the
      years by at least three different html editors. Most of the files are
      simple HTML tables. I have several <td> tags with an "a href", among
      other helpful bloat. I'm using Dreamweaver and NoteTab Pro to clean up
      the mess, and prepare them all for proper CSS implementation.

      I've stared at the help file in NTP for what seems like hours, and
      tried numerous different character combinations. Also, I've been to
      several web sites with tutorials about regular expressions. I simply
      don't see the I need to do to get them to work.

      Don Strack
    • Don Strack
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2008
        > Reg. Exp.: \<td class\="[^"]*"\>([^<]*)\</td\>
        > Replace with: <td>$1</td>

        Find, with Reg Exp: <td\b[^>]*>(.*?)</td>

        Replace: <td>$1</td>

        Of course, it also replaced every <td></td> tag combination (5600 of
        them, in just one file), but that's okay.

        Don Strack
      • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2008
          Interviewed by CNN on 6/10/2008 21:39, Don Strack told the world:
          >> Reg. Exp.: \<td class\="[^"]*"\>([^<]*)\</td\>
          >> Replace with: <td>$1</td>
          >>
          >> [ ] Case Sensitive [x] Regular Exp.
          >>
          >> Does this help?
          >>
          >> I suggest you dive into Regular Expressions. The NTP help file
          >> contains
          >> some hints, and you might find some links to tutorials here:
          >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression
          >>

          > I guess I asked the wrong question. What I meant to ask was:
          >
          > How do I strip everything from inside the <td> tags. I tried the above
          > string, I'm not able to figure out what to leave in and what to take out.
          >
          > I see what the \ before the various characters does, to maintain the
          > parts do?
          >
          > [^"]*
          >
          > and
          >
          > ([^<]*)

          OK, let's take one detail at a time.
          Square brackets define a "class" of characters. Meaning that they match
          any character that belongs to that class.
          The "^" as the first character inside the square brackets INVERTS the
          definition of the class. Thus, [^"] means "any character EXCEPT double
          quotes".
          The asterisk means "0 or more occurrences of the thing that comes
          before". So, [^"]* will match any string that does NOT contain a double
          quote -- that is, it will match everything from the point it begins
          until it finds a double quote (the double quote will "stay outside" of
          the match, so to speak).

          The parentheses assign whatever matched the string inside to a variable.
          So, the second example will find a string that ends just before the next
          HTML tag, and assign it to a variable. Then, in the "replace" field, you
          can use a token (like $1) to insert back that string.

          This is explained in the "Help on Regular Expressions" in the NoteTab
          Help menu. There are also lots of places around the Web where you can
          find more about regular expressions.

          Marcelo
          -=-=-
          Jury: Twelve people who decide who has the better lawyer
          * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.12
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2008
            Don Strack (donstrack@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-10-06 at
            20:39):
            > Whatever I try, it either finds nothing, or selects everything between
            > the first <td> and the last </td>

            Don: In case you are still struggling after Rudolf's and Marcello's posts?

            Sounds like you might be getting bitten by regex "greedy" mode.
            Though I'm not sure how it would get from first to last unless the html
            code is all in one line. You can control whether a . (dot) can span more
            than one line by putting either (?s) -span multiple lines or (?-s)
            -span ONLY one line at the beginning of your regular expression. If
            neither is specified, (?-s) is implied. So:

            * (?s)<td>.*</td>
            o will find from the first <td> to the LAST </td> in the
            entire file (greedy mode)
            * (?s)<td>.*?</td>
            o will find from the first <td> to the NEXT </td> even if its
            on the next or following lines. (non-greedy mode)

            Your original question was:
            > How do I strip the "class" contents of any and all tags, as below:
            >
            > change this:

            > /td>
            >
            > to this:

            ie. class can appear in other tags than just <td> and (I assume) any
            other attributes are to be left unchanged as is - CORRECT?

            I *think* this should work:
            ^!replace "\bclass=".*?" >> "" rwsai
            In English: match from a word boundary (\b) followed by literal class="
            to the very next occurrence of quote (.*?") and replace everything
            matched by nothing.

            If this doesn't work and/or you can't make it work with a tweaking you
            can guess at .... Could you take one old file and get it to the state
            before you wanted to apply this fix and manually change it to what you
            want the result to be and zip the two files together as before.html and
            after.html?

            I created a folder in our yahoo-group files:
            you can post the zip.