Re: [NH] find/replace in tags

  • Rudolf Horbas
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 5, 2008
      Hin Don,

      > How do I strip the "class" contents of any and all tags, as below:
      >
      > change this:

      > to this:

      Simple. (I assume you have [whatever1] and [whatever2])

      Reg. Exp.: \<td class\="[^"]*"\>([^<]*)\</td\>
      Replace with: <td>$1</td>

      [ ] Case Sensitive [x] Regular Exp.

      Does this help?

      I suggest you dive into Regular Expressions. The NTP help file contains
      some hints, and you might find some links to tutorials here:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression

      They're fun, and extremely useful!

      Rudi
    • Don Strack
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2008
        > Reg. Exp.: \<td class\="[^"]*"\>([^<]*)\</td\>
        > Replace with: <td>$1</td>
        >
        > [ ] Case Sensitive [x] Regular Exp.
        >
        > Does this help?
        >
        > I suggest you dive into Regular Expressions. The NTP help file
        > contains
        > some hints, and you might find some links to tutorials here:
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression

        I guess I asked the wrong question. What I meant to ask was:

        How do I strip everything from inside the <td> tags. I tried the above
        string, I'm not able to figure out what to leave in and what to take out.

        I see what the \ before the various characters does, to maintain the
        parts do?

        [^"]*

        and

        ([^<]*)

        Whatever I try, it either finds nothing, or selects everything between
        the first <td> and the last </td>.

        I've inherited with over 100 files that were autogenerated over the
        years by at least three different html editors. Most of the files are
        simple HTML tables. I have several <td> tags with an "a href", among
        other helpful bloat. I'm using Dreamweaver and NoteTab Pro to clean up
        the mess, and prepare them all for proper CSS implementation.

        I've stared at the help file in NTP for what seems like hours, and
        tried numerous different character combinations. Also, I've been to
        several web sites with tutorials about regular expressions. I simply
        don't see the I need to do to get them to work.

        Don Strack
      • Don Strack
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2008
          > Reg. Exp.: \<td class\="[^"]*"\>([^<]*)\</td\>
          > Replace with: <td>$1</td>

          Find, with Reg Exp: <td\b[^>]*>(.*?)</td>

          Replace: <td>$1</td>

          Of course, it also replaced every <td></td> tag combination (5600 of
          them, in just one file), but that's okay.

          Don Strack
        • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2008
            Interviewed by CNN on 6/10/2008 21:39, Don Strack told the world:
            >> Reg. Exp.: \<td class\="[^"]*"\>([^<]*)\</td\>
            >> Replace with: <td>$1</td>
            >>
            >> [ ] Case Sensitive [x] Regular Exp.
            >>
            >> Does this help?
            >>
            >> I suggest you dive into Regular Expressions. The NTP help file
            >> contains
            >> some hints, and you might find some links to tutorials here:
            >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression
            >>

            > I guess I asked the wrong question. What I meant to ask was:
            >
            > How do I strip everything from inside the <td> tags. I tried the above
            > string, I'm not able to figure out what to leave in and what to take out.
            >
            > I see what the \ before the various characters does, to maintain the
            > parts do?
            >
            > [^"]*
            >
            > and
            >
            > ([^<]*)

            OK, let's take one detail at a time.
            Square brackets define a "class" of characters. Meaning that they match
            any character that belongs to that class.
            The "^" as the first character inside the square brackets INVERTS the
            definition of the class. Thus, [^"] means "any character EXCEPT double
            quotes".
            The asterisk means "0 or more occurrences of the thing that comes
            before". So, [^"]* will match any string that does NOT contain a double
            quote -- that is, it will match everything from the point it begins
            until it finds a double quote (the double quote will "stay outside" of
            the match, so to speak).

            The parentheses assign whatever matched the string inside to a variable.
            So, the second example will find a string that ends just before the next
            HTML tag, and assign it to a variable. Then, in the "replace" field, you
            can use a token (like $1) to insert back that string.

            This is explained in the "Help on Regular Expressions" in the NoteTab
            Help menu. There are also lots of places around the Web where you can
            find more about regular expressions.

            Marcelo
            -=-=-
            Jury: Twelve people who decide who has the better lawyer
            * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.12
          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 6, 2008
              Don Strack (donstrack@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-10-06 at
              20:39):
              > Whatever I try, it either finds nothing, or selects everything between
              > the first <td> and the last </td>

              Don: In case you are still struggling after Rudolf's and Marcello's posts?

              Sounds like you might be getting bitten by regex "greedy" mode.
              Though I'm not sure how it would get from first to last unless the html
              code is all in one line. You can control whether a . (dot) can span more
              than one line by putting either (?s) -span multiple lines or (?-s)
              -span ONLY one line at the beginning of your regular expression. If
              neither is specified, (?-s) is implied. So:

              * (?s)<td>.*</td>
              o will find from the first <td> to the LAST </td> in the
              entire file (greedy mode)
              * (?s)<td>.*?</td>
              o will find from the first <td> to the NEXT </td> even if its
              on the next or following lines. (non-greedy mode)

              Your original question was:
              > How do I strip the "class" contents of any and all tags, as below:
              >
              > change this:

              > /td>
              >
              > to this:

              ie. class can appear in other tags than just <td> and (I assume) any
              other attributes are to be left unchanged as is - CORRECT?

              I *think* this should work:
              ^!replace "\bclass=".*?" >> "" rwsai
              In English: match from a word boundary (\b) followed by literal class="
              to the very next occurrence of quote (.*?") and replace everything
              matched by nothing.

              If this doesn't work and/or you can't make it work with a tweaking you
              can guess at .... Could you take one old file and get it to the state
              before you wanted to apply this fix and manually change it to what you
              want the result to be and zip the two files together as before.html and
              after.html?

              I created a folder in our yahoo-group files:
              you can post the zip.