Re: [NH] Display only part of an image?

    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 14, 2008
      Cary Driscoll wrote:
      > to use the image as the postioned
      > background of a smaller div or to clip the image using CSS.

      Yes, but: Backgrounds are a pain in the proverbial and only serve to
      make text nearly illegible more often than not. That's why many
      people, me included, turn them off. Background is background and
      content is content. Don't confuse one with the other and don't hide
      the latter in the invisible first.
      (N.B: As background is superfluous and purely decorous and does not
      add to the content, there is not ALT element provided. It is
      nonexistent for blind users and it is also not printed in the
      default setup of all current browsers.)

      Axel

      P.S: Yes, I am an old killjoy pouring cold water on lots of very
      clever ideas and promoting only bland and boring pages, none blander
      and more boring (except for content, or so I hope) than my own. Feel
      free to ignore my advice, but please at least be aware of the
      possible drawbacks and pitfalls.
    • Jeff
      Message 34 of 34 , Oct 13, 2008
        I'm new here, Marcelo, but maybe this article will help:

        http://www.wellstyled.com/css-nopreload-rollovers.html

        This is a fairly common technique in building CSS-styled menus,
        especially.

        Jeff

        --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo de Castro Bastos