Re: [NH] Looking for Resources

  • Alan C
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
      On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:39 AM, LaurieK <ladyck3@...> wrote:

      > Loro,

      [ . . ]

      Alan,

      > MS Access is the what I'm using for the DB construction. [ . . ]
      >
      > Yes I am using a "form" within my "asp" page for the search..

      http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=XIF&q=boolean+asp+microsoft+access&btnG=Search

      At Google, I entered the next 4 words: boolean asp microsoft access

      http://databases.aspfaq.com/database/how-do-i-handle-bit/boolean-columns.html

      at there if you scroll slightly down can seen (asp) form (boolean search)
      but it uses "post" instead of (alternative, maybe) "get", evidently uses 3
      asp pages to achieve the query AND it has at least slight bit of SQL in it
      too.

      Isn't this fun? (don't ask me, I know nothing about it the asp, access).

      I did do once, some time ago, I wrote a Perl--cgi interface to a

      http://www.mysql.com/

      database

      which is not Microsoft Access. not asp.

      on an irrelevant note: but I don't know if Mysql supports boolean or not.
      --

      Perl abstracts (keeps details of the SQL away from the Perl programmer)
      which my point is here that a Perl programmer not need to know SQL (Perl

      There's got to be perhaps some GUI app that abstracts (make it easier, more
      user friendly) as opposed to geeky, machine_y like when need to do (what are
      we doing here?)

      I guess (the goal) it is to construct an (boolean) asp query to query an
      access database

      http://forums.aspfree.com/code-bank-54/advanced-boolean-search-indexing-43470.html

      turned up when I now just added abstract onto the google search, a new
      google search, thus:

      abstract boolean asp microsoft access

      (methinks google getting confused on that one [no abstract for/as a word
      returned]

      But it did turn up a code bank forum "advanced boolean search" at aspfree
      (oh, it appears that it may be a forum about the link Hugo posted about the
      Query.asp) where can ask questions.

      Alan.

    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 5, 2008
        Alan C wrote:
        > On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:39 AM, LaurieK <ladyck3@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Loro,
        >
        > [ . . ]
        >
        > Alan,
        >> MS Access is the what I'm using for the DB construction. [ . . ]
        >>
        >> Yes I am using a "form" within my "asp" page for the search..

        An ASP page, much like a perl cgi page or a PHP page in fact may contain
        many pages and coding to have it do something.

        If you just hit the page with no post or get information provided, then
        it displays a page. You can use view source to see the content
        generated by the ASP page, but contrary to what someone is suggesting,
        you cannot see what is in the ASP pages code. To repeat you see only
        the generated html -- and what is generated is controlled by what input
        (or no input) is given by the user.

        If you look at the ASP page, you will see a series of "choices" or
        branches in the coding. It will say something like:

        if there is information provided by our form then process that, create a
        result and display the result

        or

        if there is not information provided by our form then just display the
        basic page with the search form

        There may be many other branches. We have written entire sites in one
        script so the page address is the same for every page. The only way to
        see this coding is to look in the raw coding of the ASP page. First
        MAKE A BACKUP, and then using notetab, open your ASP page. Start
        looking around. You will find a part that ultimately generates the
        query. That is the part we are looking for. We can then tweak what is
        being asked for.

        Your function (part of the ASP program) that builds results isn't very
        well developed, because it does not tell me no results found. It still
        outputs the table heading, but the table is empty of results.

        I believe something like this in your ASP is where you are headed.
        http://www.asp101.com/samples/viewasp.asp?file=db_search_multi.asp

        Again there are more coders in the clips or in the scripts lists than
        there probably are here (no offense intended, but I think you'll find
        the heavy coders in one of those two lists) and/or in off topic.
      • LaurieK
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 5, 2008
          OH MY GOODNESS. I sure did strike up the conversation didn't I?

          Man I sure appreciate it.. I've got LOTS to research here... my mind is
          going swish swish swish.

          Thanks!!!! J

          Laurie