Re: [NH] Looking for Resources

  • Hugo Paulissen
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 4 8:21 AM
      Hi Lotta,
      > You can't mean that rolling your own would be easier for beginners?

      No, but my experience was that most of those scripts needed some tweaking (they do not always do what you really need), or are meant for specific server-configurations...
      > Not all of your links worked, but the page I could reach seemed to
      deal with that.

      I clicked the links in my mail, on my end it seems to be ok.
      Regards,
      Hugo

    • Alan C
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 4 11:17 PM
        On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:39 AM, LaurieK <ladyck3@...> wrote:

        > Loro,

        [ . . ]

        Alan,

        > MS Access is the what I'm using for the DB construction. [ . . ]
        >
        > Yes I am using a "form" within my "asp" page for the search..

        http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=XIF&q=boolean+asp+microsoft+access&btnG=Search

        At Google, I entered the next 4 words: boolean asp microsoft access

        http://databases.aspfaq.com/database/how-do-i-handle-bit/boolean-columns.html

        at there if you scroll slightly down can seen (asp) form (boolean search)
        but it uses "post" instead of (alternative, maybe) "get", evidently uses 3
        asp pages to achieve the query AND it has at least slight bit of SQL in it
        too.

        Isn't this fun? (don't ask me, I know nothing about it the asp, access).

        I did do once, some time ago, I wrote a Perl--cgi interface to a

        http://www.mysql.com/

        database

        which is not Microsoft Access. not asp.

        on an irrelevant note: but I don't know if Mysql supports boolean or not.
        --

        Perl abstracts (keeps details of the SQL away from the Perl programmer)
        which my point is here that a Perl programmer not need to know SQL (Perl

        There's got to be perhaps some GUI app that abstracts (make it easier, more
        user friendly) as opposed to geeky, machine_y like when need to do (what are
        we doing here?)

        I guess (the goal) it is to construct an (boolean) asp query to query an
        access database

        http://forums.aspfree.com/code-bank-54/advanced-boolean-search-indexing-43470.html

        turned up when I now just added abstract onto the google search, a new
        google search, thus:

        abstract boolean asp microsoft access

        (methinks google getting confused on that one [no abstract for/as a word
        returned]

        But it did turn up a code bank forum "advanced boolean search" at aspfree
        (oh, it appears that it may be a forum about the link Hugo posted about the
        Query.asp) where can ask questions.

        Alan.

      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 5 5:00 AM
          Alan C wrote:
          > On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:39 AM, LaurieK <ladyck3@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Loro,
          >
          > [ . . ]
          >
          > Alan,
          >> MS Access is the what I'm using for the DB construction. [ . . ]
          >>
          >> Yes I am using a "form" within my "asp" page for the search..

          An ASP page, much like a perl cgi page or a PHP page in fact may contain
          many pages and coding to have it do something.

          If you just hit the page with no post or get information provided, then
          it displays a page. You can use view source to see the content
          generated by the ASP page, but contrary to what someone is suggesting,
          you cannot see what is in the ASP pages code. To repeat you see only
          the generated html -- and what is generated is controlled by what input
          (or no input) is given by the user.

          If you look at the ASP page, you will see a series of "choices" or
          branches in the coding. It will say something like:

          if there is information provided by our form then process that, create a
          result and display the result

          or

          if there is not information provided by our form then just display the
          basic page with the search form

          There may be many other branches. We have written entire sites in one
          script so the page address is the same for every page. The only way to
          see this coding is to look in the raw coding of the ASP page. First
          MAKE A BACKUP, and then using notetab, open your ASP page. Start
          looking around. You will find a part that ultimately generates the
          query. That is the part we are looking for. We can then tweak what is
          being asked for.

          Your function (part of the ASP program) that builds results isn't very
          well developed, because it does not tell me no results found. It still
          outputs the table heading, but the table is empty of results.

          I believe something like this in your ASP is where you are headed.
          http://www.asp101.com/samples/viewasp.asp?file=db_search_multi.asp

          Again there are more coders in the clips or in the scripts lists than
          there probably are here (no offense intended, but I think you'll find
          the heavy coders in one of those two lists) and/or in off topic.
        • LaurieK
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 5 7:45 AM
            OH MY GOODNESS. I sure did strike up the conversation didn't I?

            Man I sure appreciate it.. I've got LOTS to research here... my mind is
            going swish swish swish.

            Thanks!!!! J

            Laurie