RE: [NH] Looking for Resources

  • LaurieK
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
      Loro,

      Thanks for the resource, I got it LATE last night and will check it out
      today..

      Alan,

      MS Access is the what I'm using for the DB construction. I know NOTHING
      about SQL or MySQL. or any other methods.. I know enough about Access to be
      DANGEROUS.. I'm using Office 2007 but my server doesn't support that version
      so the DB is in 2003 version.

      Yes I am using a "form" within my "asp" page for the search..

      Hugo.

      I'm using Dreamweaver. I have FrontPage but for work purposes/support I'm
      using Dreamweaver as my webpage editor.. The tip you gave me about the query
      string. we did something once about using a "+" for the end of the search
      string but that was when we had a drop down menu I believe. but I will go
      back and check into my other resources, thank for the memory Jog! J

      I'll also check out the other resources and tips that you offered, I
      appreciate it..

      Jmgledhill, sisterscape, Don, Alan, fw7oaks...

      I'm getting all of these search suggestions and I'm like.. OH YEAH. I said
      early on, I even have a mental block on what to or how to properly search
      not quite knowing what I should use to google with.. And have obtained an
      education from these searches as well..

      Thank you everyone for all of your help, recommendations and suggestions..
      I'll keep you posted as I learn (if I can teach this old dog new tricks
      hehehe) J

      Laurie

      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
        Hugo wrote:
        >That is a good source, but maybe not for beginners?

        You can't mean that rolling your own would be easier for beginners?
        Not all of your links worked, but the page I could reach seemed to
        deal with that.

        Myself, I'm quite prolific installing scripts and can modify them
        with a light hand. Not as successful writing them. ;-o)

        Lotta
      • Hugo Paulissen
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
          Hi Lotta,
          > You can't mean that rolling your own would be easier for beginners?

          No, but my experience was that most of those scripts needed some tweaking (they do not always do what you really need), or are meant for specific server-configurations...
          > Not all of your links worked, but the page I could reach seemed to
          deal with that.

          I clicked the links in my mail, on my end it seems to be ok.
          Regards,
          Hugo

        • Alan C
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
            On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:39 AM, LaurieK <ladyck3@...> wrote:

            > Loro,

            [ . . ]

            Alan,

            > MS Access is the what I'm using for the DB construction. [ . . ]
            >
            > Yes I am using a "form" within my "asp" page for the search..

            http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=XIF&q=boolean+asp+microsoft+access&btnG=Search

            At Google, I entered the next 4 words: boolean asp microsoft access

            http://databases.aspfaq.com/database/how-do-i-handle-bit/boolean-columns.html

            at there if you scroll slightly down can seen (asp) form (boolean search)
            but it uses "post" instead of (alternative, maybe) "get", evidently uses 3
            asp pages to achieve the query AND it has at least slight bit of SQL in it
            too.

            Isn't this fun? (don't ask me, I know nothing about it the asp, access).

            I did do once, some time ago, I wrote a Perl--cgi interface to a

            http://www.mysql.com/

            database

            which is not Microsoft Access. not asp.

            on an irrelevant note: but I don't know if Mysql supports boolean or not.
            --

            Perl abstracts (keeps details of the SQL away from the Perl programmer)
            which my point is here that a Perl programmer not need to know SQL (Perl

            There's got to be perhaps some GUI app that abstracts (make it easier, more
            user friendly) as opposed to geeky, machine_y like when need to do (what are
            we doing here?)

            I guess (the goal) it is to construct an (boolean) asp query to query an
            access database

            http://forums.aspfree.com/code-bank-54/advanced-boolean-search-indexing-43470.html

            turned up when I now just added abstract onto the google search, a new
            google search, thus:

            abstract boolean asp microsoft access

            (methinks google getting confused on that one [no abstract for/as a word
            returned]

            But it did turn up a code bank forum "advanced boolean search" at aspfree
            (oh, it appears that it may be a forum about the link Hugo posted about the
            Query.asp) where can ask questions.

            Alan.

          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 5, 2008
              Alan C wrote:
              > On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:39 AM, LaurieK <ladyck3@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Loro,
              >
              > [ . . ]
              >
              > Alan,
              >> MS Access is the what I'm using for the DB construction. [ . . ]
              >>
              >> Yes I am using a "form" within my "asp" page for the search..

              An ASP page, much like a perl cgi page or a PHP page in fact may contain
              many pages and coding to have it do something.

              If you just hit the page with no post or get information provided, then
              it displays a page. You can use view source to see the content
              generated by the ASP page, but contrary to what someone is suggesting,
              you cannot see what is in the ASP pages code. To repeat you see only
              the generated html -- and what is generated is controlled by what input
              (or no input) is given by the user.

              If you look at the ASP page, you will see a series of "choices" or
              branches in the coding. It will say something like:

              if there is information provided by our form then process that, create a
              result and display the result

              or

              if there is not information provided by our form then just display the
              basic page with the search form

              There may be many other branches. We have written entire sites in one
              script so the page address is the same for every page. The only way to
              see this coding is to look in the raw coding of the ASP page. First
              MAKE A BACKUP, and then using notetab, open your ASP page. Start
              looking around. You will find a part that ultimately generates the
              query. That is the part we are looking for. We can then tweak what is
              being asked for.

              Your function (part of the ASP program) that builds results isn't very
              well developed, because it does not tell me no results found. It still
              outputs the table heading, but the table is empty of results.

              I believe something like this in your ASP is where you are headed.
              http://www.asp101.com/samples/viewasp.asp?file=db_search_multi.asp

              Again there are more coders in the clips or in the scripts lists than
              there probably are here (no offense intended, but I think you'll find
              the heavy coders in one of those two lists) and/or in off topic.
            • LaurieK
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 5, 2008
                OH MY GOODNESS. I sure did strike up the conversation didn't I?

                Man I sure appreciate it.. I've got LOTS to research here... my mind is
                going swish swish swish.

                Thanks!!!! J

                Laurie