Re: [NH] Looking for Resources

  • Hugo Paulissen
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
      Hi,
      That is a good source, but maybe not for beginners? I went through this a couple of years ago (ASP - Queries - MS Access...), and found out that the main thing to master is the querystring. There are ways to have the querystring that is sent to the db displayed to the user (don't ask me now, I'm no longer active in that field); if you enable this you can actually see what the exact searchstring contains. That helped me a lot; it gave me insight in the inner workings of the whole process.
      The form that handles the user input results in a string that must be passed to the database. And this needs to be (fine-)tuned. You'll need to do some learning (lots of websites available), otherwise you have to look for alternatives, but do not give up to soon...
      It may help to change the string within the asp-page itself (append wildchards for instance) - in order to get better results. If you know exactly what the string should be (you can use trial and error) you have to find a way to have this string generated by means of the interaction with the user. Without actually seeing the asp code, and not knowing what the connection is, it is hard to help you out.
      I found the 4guysfromrolla-website very helpful. Another tool that I used to master the database techniques was from Roman Koch (http://www.romankoch.ch/capslock/editor.htm%c2%a0or%c2%a0http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/110999-1.shtml). Play with it and try to see how you can benefit from the example-code. It may be old, but I reckon that will not be a big problem.
      Frontpage is the MS tool that may help you further: it may be used to generate db-connections and instructions in asp directly. I've followed some tutorials about the Frontpage database wizard and learnt a lot from that (see a.o. http://www.frontpagehowto.com/examples.asp). I must acknowledge that I used a tool to have all superfluous code stripped automatically (Notetab was very helpful in that respect). So: I built some code with fronpage, had that stripped in order to look at the resulting querystring, and most of the time I edited the resulting asp-page (but you have to know what you are doing, if you do it that way...).
      Hope this helps.
      Hugo

      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
        Hi LaurieK,
        Oh yes, this may be of help as well... Also from Roman Koch: http://www.romankoch.ch/capslock/query.htm
        Query.ASP - a general-purpose database query manager for Microsoft Access tables
        Hugo

      • LaurieK
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
          Loro,

          Thanks for the resource, I got it LATE last night and will check it out
          today..

          Alan,

          MS Access is the what I'm using for the DB construction. I know NOTHING
          about SQL or MySQL. or any other methods.. I know enough about Access to be
          DANGEROUS.. I'm using Office 2007 but my server doesn't support that version
          so the DB is in 2003 version.

          Yes I am using a "form" within my "asp" page for the search..

          Hugo.

          I'm using Dreamweaver. I have FrontPage but for work purposes/support I'm
          using Dreamweaver as my webpage editor.. The tip you gave me about the query
          string. we did something once about using a "+" for the end of the search
          string but that was when we had a drop down menu I believe. but I will go
          back and check into my other resources, thank for the memory Jog! J

          I'll also check out the other resources and tips that you offered, I
          appreciate it..

          Jmgledhill, sisterscape, Don, Alan, fw7oaks...

          I'm getting all of these search suggestions and I'm like.. OH YEAH. I said
          early on, I even have a mental block on what to or how to properly search
          not quite knowing what I should use to google with.. And have obtained an
          education from these searches as well..

          Thank you everyone for all of your help, recommendations and suggestions..
          I'll keep you posted as I learn (if I can teach this old dog new tricks
          hehehe) J

          Laurie

          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
            Hugo wrote:
            >That is a good source, but maybe not for beginners?

            You can't mean that rolling your own would be easier for beginners?
            Not all of your links worked, but the page I could reach seemed to
            deal with that.

            Myself, I'm quite prolific installing scripts and can modify them
            with a light hand. Not as successful writing them. ;-o)

            Lotta
          • Hugo Paulissen
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
              Hi Lotta,
              > You can't mean that rolling your own would be easier for beginners?

              No, but my experience was that most of those scripts needed some tweaking (they do not always do what you really need), or are meant for specific server-configurations...
              > Not all of your links worked, but the page I could reach seemed to
              deal with that.

              I clicked the links in my mail, on my end it seems to be ok.
              Regards,
              Hugo

            • Alan C
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:39 AM, LaurieK <ladyck3@...> wrote:

                > Loro,

                [ . . ]

                Alan,

                > MS Access is the what I'm using for the DB construction. [ . . ]
                >
                > Yes I am using a "form" within my "asp" page for the search..

                http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=XIF&q=boolean+asp+microsoft+access&btnG=Search

                At Google, I entered the next 4 words: boolean asp microsoft access

                http://databases.aspfaq.com/database/how-do-i-handle-bit/boolean-columns.html

                at there if you scroll slightly down can seen (asp) form (boolean search)
                but it uses "post" instead of (alternative, maybe) "get", evidently uses 3
                asp pages to achieve the query AND it has at least slight bit of SQL in it
                too.

                Isn't this fun? (don't ask me, I know nothing about it the asp, access).

                I did do once, some time ago, I wrote a Perl--cgi interface to a

                http://www.mysql.com/

                database

                which is not Microsoft Access. not asp.

                on an irrelevant note: but I don't know if Mysql supports boolean or not.
                --

                Perl abstracts (keeps details of the SQL away from the Perl programmer)
                which my point is here that a Perl programmer not need to know SQL (Perl

                There's got to be perhaps some GUI app that abstracts (make it easier, more
                user friendly) as opposed to geeky, machine_y like when need to do (what are
                we doing here?)

                I guess (the goal) it is to construct an (boolean) asp query to query an
                access database

                http://forums.aspfree.com/code-bank-54/advanced-boolean-search-indexing-43470.html

                turned up when I now just added abstract onto the google search, a new
                google search, thus:

                abstract boolean asp microsoft access

                (methinks google getting confused on that one [no abstract for/as a word
                returned]

                But it did turn up a code bank forum "advanced boolean search" at aspfree
                (oh, it appears that it may be a forum about the link Hugo posted about the
                Query.asp) where can ask questions.

                Alan.

              • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 5, 2008
                  Alan C wrote:
                  > On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:39 AM, LaurieK <ladyck3@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Loro,
                  >
                  > [ . . ]
                  >
                  > Alan,
                  >> MS Access is the what I'm using for the DB construction. [ . . ]
                  >>
                  >> Yes I am using a "form" within my "asp" page for the search..

                  An ASP page, much like a perl cgi page or a PHP page in fact may contain
                  many pages and coding to have it do something.

                  If you just hit the page with no post or get information provided, then
                  it displays a page. You can use view source to see the content
                  generated by the ASP page, but contrary to what someone is suggesting,
                  you cannot see what is in the ASP pages code. To repeat you see only
                  the generated html -- and what is generated is controlled by what input
                  (or no input) is given by the user.

                  If you look at the ASP page, you will see a series of "choices" or
                  branches in the coding. It will say something like:

                  if there is information provided by our form then process that, create a
                  result and display the result

                  or

                  if there is not information provided by our form then just display the
                  basic page with the search form

                  There may be many other branches. We have written entire sites in one
                  script so the page address is the same for every page. The only way to
                  see this coding is to look in the raw coding of the ASP page. First
                  MAKE A BACKUP, and then using notetab, open your ASP page. Start
                  looking around. You will find a part that ultimately generates the
                  query. That is the part we are looking for. We can then tweak what is
                  being asked for.

                  Your function (part of the ASP program) that builds results isn't very
                  well developed, because it does not tell me no results found. It still
                  outputs the table heading, but the table is empty of results.

                  I believe something like this in your ASP is where you are headed.
                  http://www.asp101.com/samples/viewasp.asp?file=db_search_multi.asp

                  Again there are more coders in the clips or in the scripts lists than
                  there probably are here (no offense intended, but I think you'll find
                  the heavy coders in one of those two lists) and/or in off topic.
                • LaurieK
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 5, 2008
                    OH MY GOODNESS. I sure did strike up the conversation didn't I?

                    Man I sure appreciate it.. I've got LOTS to research here... my mind is
                    going swish swish swish.

                    Thanks!!!! J

                    Laurie