RE: [NH] Looking for Resources

    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
      I'm not all that sure about what you want to do, really, but maybe
      one of these scipts does what you want.
      <http://www.hotscripts.com/ASP/Scripts_and_Components/Searching/Database_Search/>

      Lotta
    • Alan C
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
        re google, I had used the word "site"

        I think Don had it a while back ie "form" etc.

        Perl can do this (mute since this is already known).
        --

        I assume that when using web browser to search said database that it is a
        "form" (where the user interactivity is) where user's query is entered --

        Didn't Laurie say it's asp?

        But it's not to matter for what Laurie seeks here, really, (as to whatever
        the "back end" (A.K.A method(s)) is.

        The action (that's needed here) is in getting the form filled with the
        search query ? I guess?

        Or ?? does Laurie need to come up with a backend (and/or entire) method so
        as with which to accomplish the searching of a database as in right now
        currently there is no (via www) searching of the data base.

        --
        Alan.

      • Alan C
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
          (it's not hidden) (doesn't need to be hidden) IOW anyone viewing source in
          web browser:

          http://www.ladyck.com/data/new_wb_lookup.asp

          works for when entering one search word (I entered "yarn").

          Uses the "get" (I forget if this get is an http, cgi, whatever--method). A
          back end of some sort exists due to the output results (are found and then)
          are (outputted as) dynamically written html.

          Laurie wants to implement boolean.

          Laurie, how is the actual searching IOW what brand is the database

          IOW different types/brand of databases likely have need to accept certain
          type of query

          IOW does the database itself support boolean (if not then something need
          detect when two words and divvy it up into two separate queries, assembling
          all of the output results together.

          Likely your database supports boolean but that you seek how to query it in
          boolean.

          HTH. Alan.

        • Hugo Paulissen
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
            Hi,
            That is a good source, but maybe not for beginners? I went through this a couple of years ago (ASP - Queries - MS Access...), and found out that the main thing to master is the querystring. There are ways to have the querystring that is sent to the db displayed to the user (don't ask me now, I'm no longer active in that field); if you enable this you can actually see what the exact searchstring contains. That helped me a lot; it gave me insight in the inner workings of the whole process.
            The form that handles the user input results in a string that must be passed to the database. And this needs to be (fine-)tuned. You'll need to do some learning (lots of websites available), otherwise you have to look for alternatives, but do not give up to soon...
            It may help to change the string within the asp-page itself (append wildchards for instance) - in order to get better results. If you know exactly what the string should be (you can use trial and error) you have to find a way to have this string generated by means of the interaction with the user. Without actually seeing the asp code, and not knowing what the connection is, it is hard to help you out.
            I found the 4guysfromrolla-website very helpful. Another tool that I used to master the database techniques was from Roman Koch (http://www.romankoch.ch/capslock/editor.htm%c2%a0or%c2%a0http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/110999-1.shtml). Play with it and try to see how you can benefit from the example-code. It may be old, but I reckon that will not be a big problem.
            Frontpage is the MS tool that may help you further: it may be used to generate db-connections and instructions in asp directly. I've followed some tutorials about the Frontpage database wizard and learnt a lot from that (see a.o. http://www.frontpagehowto.com/examples.asp). I must acknowledge that I used a tool to have all superfluous code stripped automatically (Notetab was very helpful in that respect). So: I built some code with fronpage, had that stripped in order to look at the resulting querystring, and most of the time I edited the resulting asp-page (but you have to know what you are doing, if you do it that way...).
            Hope this helps.
            Hugo

            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
              Hi LaurieK,
              Oh yes, this may be of help as well... Also from Roman Koch: http://www.romankoch.ch/capslock/query.htm
              Query.ASP - a general-purpose database query manager for Microsoft Access tables
              Hugo

            • LaurieK
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                Loro,

                Thanks for the resource, I got it LATE last night and will check it out
                today..

                Alan,

                MS Access is the what I'm using for the DB construction. I know NOTHING
                about SQL or MySQL. or any other methods.. I know enough about Access to be
                DANGEROUS.. I'm using Office 2007 but my server doesn't support that version
                so the DB is in 2003 version.

                Yes I am using a "form" within my "asp" page for the search..

                Hugo.

                I'm using Dreamweaver. I have FrontPage but for work purposes/support I'm
                using Dreamweaver as my webpage editor.. The tip you gave me about the query
                string. we did something once about using a "+" for the end of the search
                string but that was when we had a drop down menu I believe. but I will go
                back and check into my other resources, thank for the memory Jog! J

                I'll also check out the other resources and tips that you offered, I
                appreciate it..

                Jmgledhill, sisterscape, Don, Alan, fw7oaks...

                I'm getting all of these search suggestions and I'm like.. OH YEAH. I said
                early on, I even have a mental block on what to or how to properly search
                not quite knowing what I should use to google with.. And have obtained an
                education from these searches as well..

                Thank you everyone for all of your help, recommendations and suggestions..
                I'll keep you posted as I learn (if I can teach this old dog new tricks
                hehehe) J

                Laurie

                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                  Hugo wrote:
                  >That is a good source, but maybe not for beginners?

                  You can't mean that rolling your own would be easier for beginners?
                  Not all of your links worked, but the page I could reach seemed to
                  deal with that.

                  Myself, I'm quite prolific installing scripts and can modify them
                  with a light hand. Not as successful writing them. ;-o)

                  Lotta
                • Hugo Paulissen
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                    Hi Lotta,
                    > You can't mean that rolling your own would be easier for beginners?

                    No, but my experience was that most of those scripts needed some tweaking (they do not always do what you really need), or are meant for specific server-configurations...
                    > Not all of your links worked, but the page I could reach seemed to
                    deal with that.

                    I clicked the links in my mail, on my end it seems to be ok.
                    Regards,
                    Hugo

                  • Alan C
                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                      On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:39 AM, LaurieK <ladyck3@...> wrote:

                      > Loro,

                      [ . . ]

                      Alan,

                      > MS Access is the what I'm using for the DB construction. [ . . ]
                      >
                      > Yes I am using a "form" within my "asp" page for the search..

                      http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=XIF&q=boolean+asp+microsoft+access&btnG=Search

                      At Google, I entered the next 4 words: boolean asp microsoft access

                      http://databases.aspfaq.com/database/how-do-i-handle-bit/boolean-columns.html

                      at there if you scroll slightly down can seen (asp) form (boolean search)
                      but it uses "post" instead of (alternative, maybe) "get", evidently uses 3
                      asp pages to achieve the query AND it has at least slight bit of SQL in it
                      too.

                      Isn't this fun? (don't ask me, I know nothing about it the asp, access).

                      I did do once, some time ago, I wrote a Perl--cgi interface to a

                      http://www.mysql.com/

                      database

                      which is not Microsoft Access. not asp.

                      on an irrelevant note: but I don't know if Mysql supports boolean or not.
                      --

                      Perl abstracts (keeps details of the SQL away from the Perl programmer)
                      which my point is here that a Perl programmer not need to know SQL (Perl

                      There's got to be perhaps some GUI app that abstracts (make it easier, more
                      user friendly) as opposed to geeky, machine_y like when need to do (what are
                      we doing here?)

                      I guess (the goal) it is to construct an (boolean) asp query to query an
                      access database

                      http://forums.aspfree.com/code-bank-54/advanced-boolean-search-indexing-43470.html

                      turned up when I now just added abstract onto the google search, a new
                      google search, thus:

                      abstract boolean asp microsoft access

                      (methinks google getting confused on that one [no abstract for/as a word
                      returned]

                      But it did turn up a code bank forum "advanced boolean search" at aspfree
                      (oh, it appears that it may be a forum about the link Hugo posted about the
                      Query.asp) where can ask questions.

                      Alan.

                    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 5, 2008
                        Alan C wrote:
                        > On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:39 AM, LaurieK <ladyck3@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Loro,
                        >
                        > [ . . ]
                        >
                        > Alan,
                        >> MS Access is the what I'm using for the DB construction. [ . . ]
                        >>
                        >> Yes I am using a "form" within my "asp" page for the search..

                        An ASP page, much like a perl cgi page or a PHP page in fact may contain
                        many pages and coding to have it do something.

                        If you just hit the page with no post or get information provided, then
                        it displays a page. You can use view source to see the content
                        generated by the ASP page, but contrary to what someone is suggesting,
                        you cannot see what is in the ASP pages code. To repeat you see only
                        the generated html -- and what is generated is controlled by what input
                        (or no input) is given by the user.

                        If you look at the ASP page, you will see a series of "choices" or
                        branches in the coding. It will say something like:

                        if there is information provided by our form then process that, create a
                        result and display the result

                        or

                        if there is not information provided by our form then just display the
                        basic page with the search form

                        There may be many other branches. We have written entire sites in one
                        script so the page address is the same for every page. The only way to
                        see this coding is to look in the raw coding of the ASP page. First
                        MAKE A BACKUP, and then using notetab, open your ASP page. Start
                        looking around. You will find a part that ultimately generates the
                        query. That is the part we are looking for. We can then tweak what is
                        being asked for.

                        Your function (part of the ASP program) that builds results isn't very
                        well developed, because it does not tell me no results found. It still
                        outputs the table heading, but the table is empty of results.

                        I believe something like this in your ASP is where you are headed.
                        http://www.asp101.com/samples/viewasp.asp?file=db_search_multi.asp

                        Again there are more coders in the clips or in the scripts lists than
                        there probably are here (no offense intended, but I think you'll find
                        the heavy coders in one of those two lists) and/or in off topic.
                      • LaurieK
                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 5, 2008
                          OH MY GOODNESS. I sure did strike up the conversation didn't I?

                          Man I sure appreciate it.. I've got LOTS to research here... my mind is
                          going swish swish swish.

                          Thanks!!!! J

                          Laurie