RE: [NH] Looking for Resources

  • LaurieK
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
      Oh cool.. thanks for the tip. off to google J

      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
        I'm not all that sure about what you want to do, really, but maybe
        one of these scipts does what you want.
        <http://www.hotscripts.com/ASP/Scripts_and_Components/Searching/Database_Search/>

        Lotta
      • Alan C
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
          re google, I had used the word "site"

          I think Don had it a while back ie "form" etc.

          Perl can do this (mute since this is already known).
          --

          I assume that when using web browser to search said database that it is a
          "form" (where the user interactivity is) where user's query is entered --

          Didn't Laurie say it's asp?

          But it's not to matter for what Laurie seeks here, really, (as to whatever
          the "back end" (A.K.A method(s)) is.

          The action (that's needed here) is in getting the form filled with the
          search query ? I guess?

          Or ?? does Laurie need to come up with a backend (and/or entire) method so
          as with which to accomplish the searching of a database as in right now
          currently there is no (via www) searching of the data base.

          --
          Alan.

        • Alan C
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
            (it's not hidden) (doesn't need to be hidden) IOW anyone viewing source in
            web browser:

            http://www.ladyck.com/data/new_wb_lookup.asp

            works for when entering one search word (I entered "yarn").

            Uses the "get" (I forget if this get is an http, cgi, whatever--method). A
            back end of some sort exists due to the output results (are found and then)
            are (outputted as) dynamically written html.

            Laurie wants to implement boolean.

            Laurie, how is the actual searching IOW what brand is the database

            IOW different types/brand of databases likely have need to accept certain
            type of query

            IOW does the database itself support boolean (if not then something need
            detect when two words and divvy it up into two separate queries, assembling
            all of the output results together.

            Likely your database supports boolean but that you seek how to query it in
            boolean.

            HTH. Alan.

          • Hugo Paulissen
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
              Hi,
              That is a good source, but maybe not for beginners? I went through this a couple of years ago (ASP - Queries - MS Access...), and found out that the main thing to master is the querystring. There are ways to have the querystring that is sent to the db displayed to the user (don't ask me now, I'm no longer active in that field); if you enable this you can actually see what the exact searchstring contains. That helped me a lot; it gave me insight in the inner workings of the whole process.
              The form that handles the user input results in a string that must be passed to the database. And this needs to be (fine-)tuned. You'll need to do some learning (lots of websites available), otherwise you have to look for alternatives, but do not give up to soon...
              It may help to change the string within the asp-page itself (append wildchards for instance) - in order to get better results. If you know exactly what the string should be (you can use trial and error) you have to find a way to have this string generated by means of the interaction with the user. Without actually seeing the asp code, and not knowing what the connection is, it is hard to help you out.
              I found the 4guysfromrolla-website very helpful. Another tool that I used to master the database techniques was from Roman Koch (http://www.romankoch.ch/capslock/editor.htm%c2%a0or%c2%a0http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/110999-1.shtml). Play with it and try to see how you can benefit from the example-code. It may be old, but I reckon that will not be a big problem.
              Frontpage is the MS tool that may help you further: it may be used to generate db-connections and instructions in asp directly. I've followed some tutorials about the Frontpage database wizard and learnt a lot from that (see a.o. http://www.frontpagehowto.com/examples.asp). I must acknowledge that I used a tool to have all superfluous code stripped automatically (Notetab was very helpful in that respect). So: I built some code with fronpage, had that stripped in order to look at the resulting querystring, and most of the time I edited the resulting asp-page (but you have to know what you are doing, if you do it that way...).
              Hope this helps.
              Hugo

              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                Hi LaurieK,
                Oh yes, this may be of help as well... Also from Roman Koch: http://www.romankoch.ch/capslock/query.htm
                Query.ASP - a general-purpose database query manager for Microsoft Access tables
                Hugo

              • LaurieK
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                  Loro,

                  Thanks for the resource, I got it LATE last night and will check it out
                  today..

                  Alan,

                  MS Access is the what I'm using for the DB construction. I know NOTHING
                  about SQL or MySQL. or any other methods.. I know enough about Access to be
                  DANGEROUS.. I'm using Office 2007 but my server doesn't support that version
                  so the DB is in 2003 version.

                  Yes I am using a "form" within my "asp" page for the search..

                  Hugo.

                  I'm using Dreamweaver. I have FrontPage but for work purposes/support I'm
                  using Dreamweaver as my webpage editor.. The tip you gave me about the query
                  string. we did something once about using a "+" for the end of the search
                  string but that was when we had a drop down menu I believe. but I will go
                  back and check into my other resources, thank for the memory Jog! J

                  I'll also check out the other resources and tips that you offered, I
                  appreciate it..

                  Jmgledhill, sisterscape, Don, Alan, fw7oaks...

                  I'm getting all of these search suggestions and I'm like.. OH YEAH. I said
                  early on, I even have a mental block on what to or how to properly search
                  not quite knowing what I should use to google with.. And have obtained an
                  education from these searches as well..

                  Thank you everyone for all of your help, recommendations and suggestions..
                  I'll keep you posted as I learn (if I can teach this old dog new tricks
                  hehehe) J

                  Laurie

                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                    Hugo wrote:
                    >That is a good source, but maybe not for beginners?

                    You can't mean that rolling your own would be easier for beginners?
                    Not all of your links worked, but the page I could reach seemed to
                    deal with that.

                    Myself, I'm quite prolific installing scripts and can modify them
                    with a light hand. Not as successful writing them. ;-o)

                    Lotta
                  • Hugo Paulissen
                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                      Hi Lotta,
                      > You can't mean that rolling your own would be easier for beginners?

                      No, but my experience was that most of those scripts needed some tweaking (they do not always do what you really need), or are meant for specific server-configurations...
                      > Not all of your links worked, but the page I could reach seemed to
                      deal with that.

                      I clicked the links in my mail, on my end it seems to be ok.
                      Regards,
                      Hugo

                    • Alan C
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                        On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:39 AM, LaurieK <ladyck3@...> wrote:

                        > Loro,

                        [ . . ]

                        Alan,

                        > MS Access is the what I'm using for the DB construction. [ . . ]
                        >
                        > Yes I am using a "form" within my "asp" page for the search..

                        http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=XIF&q=boolean+asp+microsoft+access&btnG=Search

                        At Google, I entered the next 4 words: boolean asp microsoft access

                        http://databases.aspfaq.com/database/how-do-i-handle-bit/boolean-columns.html

                        at there if you scroll slightly down can seen (asp) form (boolean search)
                        but it uses "post" instead of (alternative, maybe) "get", evidently uses 3
                        asp pages to achieve the query AND it has at least slight bit of SQL in it
                        too.

                        Isn't this fun? (don't ask me, I know nothing about it the asp, access).

                        I did do once, some time ago, I wrote a Perl--cgi interface to a

                        http://www.mysql.com/

                        database

                        which is not Microsoft Access. not asp.

                        on an irrelevant note: but I don't know if Mysql supports boolean or not.
                        --

                        Perl abstracts (keeps details of the SQL away from the Perl programmer)
                        which my point is here that a Perl programmer not need to know SQL (Perl

                        There's got to be perhaps some GUI app that abstracts (make it easier, more
                        user friendly) as opposed to geeky, machine_y like when need to do (what are
                        we doing here?)

                        I guess (the goal) it is to construct an (boolean) asp query to query an
                        access database

                        http://forums.aspfree.com/code-bank-54/advanced-boolean-search-indexing-43470.html

                        turned up when I now just added abstract onto the google search, a new
                        google search, thus:

                        abstract boolean asp microsoft access

                        (methinks google getting confused on that one [no abstract for/as a word
                        returned]

                        But it did turn up a code bank forum "advanced boolean search" at aspfree
                        (oh, it appears that it may be a forum about the link Hugo posted about the
                        Query.asp) where can ask questions.

                        Alan.

                      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 5, 2008
                          Alan C wrote:
                          > On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:39 AM, LaurieK <ladyck3@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> Loro,
                          >
                          > [ . . ]
                          >
                          > Alan,
                          >> MS Access is the what I'm using for the DB construction. [ . . ]
                          >>
                          >> Yes I am using a "form" within my "asp" page for the search..

                          An ASP page, much like a perl cgi page or a PHP page in fact may contain
                          many pages and coding to have it do something.

                          If you just hit the page with no post or get information provided, then
                          it displays a page. You can use view source to see the content
                          generated by the ASP page, but contrary to what someone is suggesting,
                          you cannot see what is in the ASP pages code. To repeat you see only
                          the generated html -- and what is generated is controlled by what input
                          (or no input) is given by the user.

                          If you look at the ASP page, you will see a series of "choices" or
                          branches in the coding. It will say something like:

                          if there is information provided by our form then process that, create a
                          result and display the result

                          or

                          if there is not information provided by our form then just display the
                          basic page with the search form

                          There may be many other branches. We have written entire sites in one
                          script so the page address is the same for every page. The only way to
                          see this coding is to look in the raw coding of the ASP page. First
                          MAKE A BACKUP, and then using notetab, open your ASP page. Start
                          looking around. You will find a part that ultimately generates the
                          query. That is the part we are looking for. We can then tweak what is
                          being asked for.

                          Your function (part of the ASP program) that builds results isn't very
                          well developed, because it does not tell me no results found. It still
                          outputs the table heading, but the table is empty of results.

                          I believe something like this in your ASP is where you are headed.
                          http://www.asp101.com/samples/viewasp.asp?file=db_search_multi.asp

                          Again there are more coders in the clips or in the scripts lists than
                          there probably are here (no offense intended, but I think you'll find
                          the heavy coders in one of those two lists) and/or in off topic.
                        • LaurieK
                          Message 12 of 30 , Aug 5, 2008
                            OH MY GOODNESS. I sure did strike up the conversation didn't I?

                            Man I sure appreciate it.. I've got LOTS to research here... my mind is
                            going swish swish swish.

                            Thanks!!!! J

                            Laurie