RE: [NH] Looking for Resources

  • jmgledhill
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
      Try doing a search in Google for "html database" and you will find
      converters that should let you do searches on multiple fields.

    • LaurieK
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
        Oh cool.. thanks for the tip. off to google J

        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
          I'm not all that sure about what you want to do, really, but maybe
          one of these scipts does what you want.
          <http://www.hotscripts.com/ASP/Scripts_and_Components/Searching/Database_Search/>

          Lotta
        • Alan C
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
            re google, I had used the word "site"

            I think Don had it a while back ie "form" etc.

            Perl can do this (mute since this is already known).
            --

            I assume that when using web browser to search said database that it is a
            "form" (where the user interactivity is) where user's query is entered --

            Didn't Laurie say it's asp?

            But it's not to matter for what Laurie seeks here, really, (as to whatever
            the "back end" (A.K.A method(s)) is.

            The action (that's needed here) is in getting the form filled with the
            search query ? I guess?

            Or ?? does Laurie need to come up with a backend (and/or entire) method so
            as with which to accomplish the searching of a database as in right now
            currently there is no (via www) searching of the data base.

            --
            Alan.

          • Alan C
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
              (it's not hidden) (doesn't need to be hidden) IOW anyone viewing source in
              web browser:

              http://www.ladyck.com/data/new_wb_lookup.asp

              works for when entering one search word (I entered "yarn").

              Uses the "get" (I forget if this get is an http, cgi, whatever--method). A
              back end of some sort exists due to the output results (are found and then)
              are (outputted as) dynamically written html.

              Laurie wants to implement boolean.

              Laurie, how is the actual searching IOW what brand is the database

              IOW different types/brand of databases likely have need to accept certain
              type of query

              IOW does the database itself support boolean (if not then something need
              detect when two words and divvy it up into two separate queries, assembling
              all of the output results together.

              Likely your database supports boolean but that you seek how to query it in
              boolean.

              HTH. Alan.

            • Hugo Paulissen
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                Hi,
                That is a good source, but maybe not for beginners? I went through this a couple of years ago (ASP - Queries - MS Access...), and found out that the main thing to master is the querystring. There are ways to have the querystring that is sent to the db displayed to the user (don't ask me now, I'm no longer active in that field); if you enable this you can actually see what the exact searchstring contains. That helped me a lot; it gave me insight in the inner workings of the whole process.
                The form that handles the user input results in a string that must be passed to the database. And this needs to be (fine-)tuned. You'll need to do some learning (lots of websites available), otherwise you have to look for alternatives, but do not give up to soon...
                It may help to change the string within the asp-page itself (append wildchards for instance) - in order to get better results. If you know exactly what the string should be (you can use trial and error) you have to find a way to have this string generated by means of the interaction with the user. Without actually seeing the asp code, and not knowing what the connection is, it is hard to help you out.
                I found the 4guysfromrolla-website very helpful. Another tool that I used to master the database techniques was from Roman Koch (http://www.romankoch.ch/capslock/editor.htm%c2%a0or%c2%a0http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/110999-1.shtml). Play with it and try to see how you can benefit from the example-code. It may be old, but I reckon that will not be a big problem.
                Frontpage is the MS tool that may help you further: it may be used to generate db-connections and instructions in asp directly. I've followed some tutorials about the Frontpage database wizard and learnt a lot from that (see a.o. http://www.frontpagehowto.com/examples.asp). I must acknowledge that I used a tool to have all superfluous code stripped automatically (Notetab was very helpful in that respect). So: I built some code with fronpage, had that stripped in order to look at the resulting querystring, and most of the time I edited the resulting asp-page (but you have to know what you are doing, if you do it that way...).
                Hope this helps.
                Hugo

                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                  Hi LaurieK,
                  Oh yes, this may be of help as well... Also from Roman Koch: http://www.romankoch.ch/capslock/query.htm
                  Query.ASP - a general-purpose database query manager for Microsoft Access tables
                  Hugo

                • LaurieK
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                    Loro,

                    Thanks for the resource, I got it LATE last night and will check it out
                    today..

                    Alan,

                    MS Access is the what I'm using for the DB construction. I know NOTHING
                    about SQL or MySQL. or any other methods.. I know enough about Access to be
                    DANGEROUS.. I'm using Office 2007 but my server doesn't support that version
                    so the DB is in 2003 version.

                    Yes I am using a "form" within my "asp" page for the search..

                    Hugo.

                    I'm using Dreamweaver. I have FrontPage but for work purposes/support I'm
                    using Dreamweaver as my webpage editor.. The tip you gave me about the query
                    string. we did something once about using a "+" for the end of the search
                    string but that was when we had a drop down menu I believe. but I will go
                    back and check into my other resources, thank for the memory Jog! J

                    I'll also check out the other resources and tips that you offered, I
                    appreciate it..

                    Jmgledhill, sisterscape, Don, Alan, fw7oaks...

                    I'm getting all of these search suggestions and I'm like.. OH YEAH. I said
                    early on, I even have a mental block on what to or how to properly search
                    not quite knowing what I should use to google with.. And have obtained an
                    education from these searches as well..

                    Thank you everyone for all of your help, recommendations and suggestions..
                    I'll keep you posted as I learn (if I can teach this old dog new tricks
                    hehehe) J

                    Laurie

                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                      Hugo wrote:
                      >That is a good source, but maybe not for beginners?

                      You can't mean that rolling your own would be easier for beginners?
                      Not all of your links worked, but the page I could reach seemed to
                      deal with that.

                      Myself, I'm quite prolific installing scripts and can modify them
                      with a light hand. Not as successful writing them. ;-o)

                      Lotta
                    • Hugo Paulissen
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                        Hi Lotta,
                        > You can't mean that rolling your own would be easier for beginners?

                        No, but my experience was that most of those scripts needed some tweaking (they do not always do what you really need), or are meant for specific server-configurations...
                        > Not all of your links worked, but the page I could reach seemed to
                        deal with that.

                        I clicked the links in my mail, on my end it seems to be ok.
                        Regards,
                        Hugo

                      • Alan C
                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                          On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:39 AM, LaurieK <ladyck3@...> wrote:

                          > Loro,

                          [ . . ]

                          Alan,

                          > MS Access is the what I'm using for the DB construction. [ . . ]
                          >
                          > Yes I am using a "form" within my "asp" page for the search..

                          http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=XIF&q=boolean+asp+microsoft+access&btnG=Search

                          At Google, I entered the next 4 words: boolean asp microsoft access

                          http://databases.aspfaq.com/database/how-do-i-handle-bit/boolean-columns.html

                          at there if you scroll slightly down can seen (asp) form (boolean search)
                          but it uses "post" instead of (alternative, maybe) "get", evidently uses 3
                          asp pages to achieve the query AND it has at least slight bit of SQL in it
                          too.

                          Isn't this fun? (don't ask me, I know nothing about it the asp, access).

                          I did do once, some time ago, I wrote a Perl--cgi interface to a

                          http://www.mysql.com/

                          database

                          which is not Microsoft Access. not asp.

                          on an irrelevant note: but I don't know if Mysql supports boolean or not.
                          --

                          Perl abstracts (keeps details of the SQL away from the Perl programmer)
                          which my point is here that a Perl programmer not need to know SQL (Perl

                          There's got to be perhaps some GUI app that abstracts (make it easier, more
                          user friendly) as opposed to geeky, machine_y like when need to do (what are
                          we doing here?)

                          I guess (the goal) it is to construct an (boolean) asp query to query an
                          access database

                          http://forums.aspfree.com/code-bank-54/advanced-boolean-search-indexing-43470.html

                          turned up when I now just added abstract onto the google search, a new
                          google search, thus:

                          abstract boolean asp microsoft access

                          (methinks google getting confused on that one [no abstract for/as a word
                          returned]

                          But it did turn up a code bank forum "advanced boolean search" at aspfree
                          (oh, it appears that it may be a forum about the link Hugo posted about the
                          Query.asp) where can ask questions.

                          Alan.

                        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                          Message 12 of 30 , Aug 5, 2008
                            Alan C wrote:
                            > On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:39 AM, LaurieK <ladyck3@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >> Loro,
                            >
                            > [ . . ]
                            >
                            > Alan,
                            >> MS Access is the what I'm using for the DB construction. [ . . ]
                            >>
                            >> Yes I am using a "form" within my "asp" page for the search..

                            An ASP page, much like a perl cgi page or a PHP page in fact may contain
                            many pages and coding to have it do something.

                            If you just hit the page with no post or get information provided, then
                            it displays a page. You can use view source to see the content
                            generated by the ASP page, but contrary to what someone is suggesting,
                            you cannot see what is in the ASP pages code. To repeat you see only
                            the generated html -- and what is generated is controlled by what input
                            (or no input) is given by the user.

                            If you look at the ASP page, you will see a series of "choices" or
                            branches in the coding. It will say something like:

                            if there is information provided by our form then process that, create a
                            result and display the result

                            or

                            if there is not information provided by our form then just display the
                            basic page with the search form

                            There may be many other branches. We have written entire sites in one
                            script so the page address is the same for every page. The only way to
                            see this coding is to look in the raw coding of the ASP page. First
                            MAKE A BACKUP, and then using notetab, open your ASP page. Start
                            looking around. You will find a part that ultimately generates the
                            query. That is the part we are looking for. We can then tweak what is
                            being asked for.

                            Your function (part of the ASP program) that builds results isn't very
                            well developed, because it does not tell me no results found. It still
                            outputs the table heading, but the table is empty of results.

                            I believe something like this in your ASP is where you are headed.
                            http://www.asp101.com/samples/viewasp.asp?file=db_search_multi.asp

                            Again there are more coders in the clips or in the scripts lists than
                            there probably are here (no offense intended, but I think you'll find
                            the heavy coders in one of those two lists) and/or in off topic.
                          • LaurieK
                            Message 13 of 30 , Aug 5, 2008
                              OH MY GOODNESS. I sure did strike up the conversation didn't I?

                              Man I sure appreciate it.. I've got LOTS to research here... my mind is
                              going swish swish swish.

                              Thanks!!!! J

                              Laurie