Cyrillic text written in NTP appears as question marks in browser

  • Roman Korol
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 9 6:23 AM
      Some history is necessary here, so please bear with me.

      Recently I had to replace my C drive and did a re-installation of my
      software including NTP v.5.61/fv.

      I did the proper language settings in Windows XP, which is my
      operating platform. (I mean clicking on Strart -->Control Panel
      -->Regional and Language Options, and choosing the proper languages;
      in this case, English, French, and Ukrainian).

      In NTP, I selected a proper font and chose "Cyrillic", a selection
      which worked in the past. It allowed me to type in NTP in Ukrainian,
      code my web page, and the text appeared normally in the browser.

      But now, after the new installation of NTP on my hard drive, this does
      not work any more. When I launch a browser (Firefox, and also IE) to
      view those html files that had been prepared and saved in NTP prior to
      my replacement of my dirve C, the Cyrillic in these files is now not
      recognized by the browser. What I get is question marks. The text in
      the html file itslf is changed to question marks, too.

      Typing new files in Cyrillic using NTP still works fine, but for
      viewing those files in NTP only. When I try to view these files in a
      browser, the same problem occurs: question marks appear in place of
      the Cyrillic characters. Then, when I want to view the file in NTP
      after it had been viewed in the browser, all Cyrillic text is replaced
      by question marks too.

      To ensure that my language settings work in Windows, and my HTML code
      is correct, I tried another text edtor: the open-source Nvu, available
      at http://www.nvudev.com/download.php

      I wrote a short text composed of English and Ukrainian, and tried it
      in Firefox. It worked OK.

      This leads me to suppose that there is a problem in the interface
      between NTP and the browser insofar as Cyrillic is concerned.
      Possibly some other settings in NTP unknown to me, that I had in my
      old copy of NTP which once worked perfectly for me, have been
      unattended to because I do not know them.

      My apologies for the length of the post. I would be very grateful for
      any help to resolve this obstacle, as I do not want to give up NTP for
      my work needlessly.

      Regards,

      --Roman Korol
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 9 7:33 AM
        Hi
        Have a look at the top few lines of the html pages and see weather the font
        spec is correct for Ukraine do not think it was saved
        i.e. <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 9 11:39 AM
          Roman Korol wrote:
          > When I launch a browser (Firefox, and also IE) to view those
          > html files that had been prepared and saved in NTP prior to
          > my replacement of my dirve C, the Cyrillic in these files is
          > now not recognized by the browser. What I get is question
          > marks. The text in the html file itslf is changed to question
          > marks, too.

          In that case it is noting to do with NoteTab. Reinstalling a
          software has no effect whatsoever on files already there and written
          by the previous version. Just to be on the safe side you should
          write protect those old files and solve your browser issues so they
          can be displayed again. Only when that is achieved should you try
          writing new ones with your newly installed NoteTab. I bet that will
          work flawlessly.

          Other than that I can not give any help on using the eXPerimental
          Windows.

          Axel

          > Typing new files in Cyrillic using NTP still works fine, but for
          > viewing those files in NTP only. When I try to view these files in a
          > browser, the same problem occurs: question marks appear in place of
          > the Cyrillic characters. Then, when I want to view the file in NTP
          > after it had been viewed in the browser, all Cyrillic text is replaced
          > by question marks too.
          >
          > To ensure that my language settings work in Windows, and my HTML code
          > is correct, I tried another text edtor: the open-source Nvu, available
          > at http://www.nvudev.com/download.php
          >
          > I wrote a short text composed of English and Ukrainian, and tried it
          > in Firefox. It worked OK.
          >
          > This leads me to suppose that there is a problem in the interface
          > between NTP and the browser insofar as Cyrillic is concerned.
          > Possibly some other settings in NTP unknown to me, that I had in my
          > old copy of NTP which once worked perfectly for me, have been
          > unattended to because I do not know them.
          >
          > My apologies for the length of the post. I would be very grateful for
          > any help to resolve this obstacle, as I do not want to give up NTP for
          > my work needlessly.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > --Roman Korol

          Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
        • Roman Korol
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 10 6:30 AM
            The UTF-8 attribute in that meta tag, which you recommend, is one of
            my problems. I cannot use it, if I use Note Tab to prepare my text.
            Here's why.

            I am preparing a bilingual website: one side is English, the other is
            Ukrainian. The user can click between the two. Often I have a mix of
            the two languages on one page.

            Note Tab's text is never just "plain text", or a loosey-goosey "ANSI"
            text, as their faq claims. Note Tab uses a character code to display
            in Windows. It saves your files in that character code. But Note Tab
            does not provide a convenient means to find out what that character
            code is.

            http://www.i18nguy.com/unicode/codepages.html#msftwindows

            The character code that Note Tab uses for my text is Windows-1251 and
            sometimes I've also seen, upon checking, that it was Windows-1252.

            In the head section of the html code of a web page, that attribute in
            the meta tag specifying character code ("charset") has to correspond
            to the character code that Note Tab used to save your file. If it does
            not correspond, it will confuse your browser and you will get a dump
            of garbage on your screen when you launch the browser. Or, a dump of
            question marks.

            In my case, provided that Note Tab consistently saves my work in
            Windows-1251 code page (of which I am unsure), that meta tag should
            read as follows:

            <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html";
            charset=windows-1251">

            I have tried launching my site with that metatag. The usual garbage
            ensued.

            (I checked my browser, incidentally, that it was correctly set to view
            Windows-1251. It was. But that made no difference).

            That is the point at which I wrote my question to this board.

            Now, I have also tried the metatag with "charset=utf-8". But, as
            expected, it did not work. For it to work, the code page of the saved
            text has to be changed from Windows-1251 (if that, indeed, is how Note
            Tab saved it) to Unicode. But Note Tab does not provide the means to
            do this conversion. Nor does Note Tab seem to want to work with
            Unicode in any case(see their faq).

            This is a serious problem. If you change your saved text to Unicode (I
            have done this), it will show up normally in the browser. But then,
            you cannot open that Unicode text in Note Tab, because this corrupts
            the text and all you will see is a series of question marks. This
            means you need a different text editor, at least for the final stage
            of your website preparation, if you want Unicode.

            --Roman

            --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dmc43959@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            > Have a look at the top few lines of the html pages and see weather
            the font
            > spec is correct for Ukraine do not think it was saved
            > i.e. <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
            > THANKYOU DAVE M

          • Roman Korol
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 10 6:30 AM
> [...]

              do this conversion. Nor does Note Tab seem to want to work with
              Unicode in any case(see their faq).

              This is a serious problem. If you change your saved text to Unicode (I
              have done this), it will show up normally in the browser. But then,
              you cannot open that Unicode text in Note Tab, because this corrupts
              the text and all you will see is a series of question marks. This
              means you need a different text editor, at least for the final stage
              of your website preparation, if you want Unicode.

              --Roman

              --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dmc43959@...> wrote:

              > Hi
              > Have a look at the top few lines of the html pages and see weather
              the font
              > spec is correct for Ukraine do not think it was saved
              > i.e. <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

            • Roman Korol
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 10 6:38 AM
                Axel, I suggest you read my reply to Dave's post. I believe you will
                find in it the response to your comment, too. Thanks.

                --Roman

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 10 7:01 AM
                  Please do not top post and please trim your quotes. If I am too
                  doddery to remember what I wrote before, I won't be able to givve
                  good advice anyway.

                  Roman Korol wrote:
                  > Note Tab uses a character code to display in Windows. It saves
                  > your files in that character code. But Note Tab does not
                  > provide a convenient means to find out what that character
                  > code is.

                  True. But that is NOT your current problem. If you have old files
                  that used to be shown alright, then first make sure these old files
                  are shown alright again. Only when that's done can you begin to care
                  about writing good new files.

                  Otherwise it's like putting a lot of effort into improving your sign
                  language while talking to a blind person.

                  Axel
                • Roman Korol
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 10 1:02 PM
                    Axel, I did not respond to your previous post because it was frivolous
                    and not worth my time to respond. I was kinda hoping you would have
                    taken the hint, and left it at that. Since you did not take the hint,
                    well - there's your response.

                    My response to Dave, who did offer a serious suggestion, summarized
                    what my problem is (or, rather, was; because I've now solved it myself).