Re: [NH] case requirements for JPG

    Message 1 of 28 , May 26, 2008
      loro wrote:
      > Still wondering who would use that setting and for what reason.

      Well, spaces are forbidden or at least a very bad idea and I find
      MyCamelCasePage much more legible than mycamelcasepage. I always use
      camelcase when needing to abbreviate without Spaces. As a case in
      point this is the link to an article I've scanned
      (don't try, it's password protected):
      http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/Scans/Zeitschrift/JArchSci/33/039-D%c3%bcrrw%c3%a4chter.pdf

      And yes, umlauts are not ideal either.

      Axel
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 28 , May 26, 2008
        Axel Berger wrote:
        > loro wrote:
        >> Still wondering who would use that setting and for what reason.
        >
        > Well, spaces are forbidden or at least a very bad idea and I find
        > MyCamelCasePage much more legible than mycamelcasepage. I always use
        > camelcase when needing to abbreviate without Spaces. As a case in
        > point this is the link to an article I've scanned
        > (don't try, it's password protected):
        > http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/Scans/Zeitschrift/JArchSci/33/039-D%c3%bcrrw%c3%a4chter.pdf
        >
        > And yes, umlauts are not ideal either.
        >
        > Axel

        Actually if you use an underscore then google will actually find and
        index the words ...
        Message 3 of 28 , May 26, 2008
          Axel Berger wrote:
          >loro wrote:
          > > Still wondering who would use that setting and for what reason.
          >
          >Well, spaces are forbidden or at least a very bad idea and I find
          >MyCamelCasePage much more legible than mycamelcasepage.

          I meant who'd use that Notetab setting, to force lowercase URLs. Not
          that it matters, I'm just curious by nature. ;-)

          Lotta
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 28 , May 26, 2008
            loro wrote:
            > Axel Berger wrote:
            >> loro wrote:
            >>> Still wondering who would use that setting and for what reason.
            >> Well, spaces are forbidden or at least a very bad idea and I find
            >> MyCamelCasePage much more legible than mycamelcasepage.
            >
            > I meant who'd use that Notetab setting, to force lowercase URLs. Not
            > that it matters, I'm just curious by nature. ;-)
            >
            > Lotta

            I sometimes use it to force lowercase url's because then I use my ftp
            program to make sure the files uploaded are lower case.
          • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
            Message 5 of 28 , May 26, 2008
              Interviewed by CNN on 26/5/2008 11:28, Don - HtmlFixIt.com told the world:
              > loro wrote:
              >
              >> Axel Berger wrote:
              >> I meant who'd use that Notetab setting, to force lowercase URLs. Not
              >> that it matters, I'm just curious by nature. ;-)
              >>

              > I sometimes use it to force lowercase url's because then I use my ftp
              > program to make sure the files uploaded are lower case.

              Yeah, it goes like this:

              - Consistency is good. Different cases are bad.
              - The same file/pic/page can be called from a lot of different places.
              - It's easier to rename the one file when there's a problem than search
              through all the HTML pages to fix the case of the URL.
              - Also, you can use the FTP utility to force all files into lowercase.
              - Finally, a point that should not be overlooked, there's the matter of
              people keying in the URL by hand in their browsers. Nine times out of
              ten, they will write it all in lowercase. Putting a few uppercase
              letters in the middle will only make the job harder.

              In the different matter of accented/international characters and
              spaces... they aren't illegal per se, but you have to be careful in
              encoding them correctly.

              Marcelo

              -=-=-
              Free Nelson Mandela, while stocks last!
              * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.9
              Message 6 of 28 , May 26, 2008
                Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:
                > Nine times out of ten, they will write it all in lowercase.

                Perhaps it's a case of me being German and more used to capitals in
                words. Or perhaps I'm just nuts, but I prefer the odd capital here
                and there.

                But then I wouldn't want to type long URLs anyway. I prefer being
                given them as links so one click leads to direct access, but where
                typing is involved I prefer well done menues to get there - there
                are just too many ways to get them wrong.

                Axel
              • Scott Fordin
                Message 7 of 28 , May 26, 2008
                  loro wrote:
                  > I meant who'd use that Notetab setting, to force lowercase URLs. Not
                  > that it matters, I'm just curious by nature. ;-)

                  FWIW, I use all lowercase URLs and file names for several reasons:

                  1. I'm an HTML coder from the ur-days, and using what was once
                  known as "Netscape compatible" links -- that is, all lowercase
                  -- is a habit.

                  2. Consistency is good; one rule, no confusion, no worries. My
                  code works consistently on any server platform.

                  3. It's easier to type all lowercase; no Shift combination or
                  Caps Lock.

                  4. I spend a good part of my life on Solaris and Linux machines,
                  so this whole case thing is deeply ingrained. I don't use
                  uppercase letters unless there's a darn good reason to.

                  5. I'm anal retentive or arguably OCD, and I simply like how
                  lowercase looks compared to mixed case or uppercase. I
                  figure life is stressful enough, so I don't need my code
                  shouting at me.

                  I also scrupulously avoid the use of spaces in file names and URLs.
                  Instead of spaces, I use underscores. Finally, I try to use taxonomic
                  naming schemes, so it's easy to figure out what should be where and
                  when something is off.

                  Just one writer's opinion,

                  Scott
                • GilaMountainDulcimers.com
                  Message 8 of 28 , May 26, 2008
                    Yes, Scott. I ALWAYS use lower case in all my file names and URLs. Sometimes (like in my signature below) I will type the URL with the first letter in upper-case for in emails or hardcopy letters -- Some of my URLs are long and so it breaks it up -- that is the only reason. Otherwise, when I am composing or creating a website or file, it is all lower case. I use dashes instead of underscores because links are always underlined and some folks miss the underscores -- looks like part of the link's underscore. But I agree with you completely for all your reasons for using lower case, especially the one about consistency -- one rule, no worries. I never have to double-check myself.

                    Hugs,
                    Kerry Coates in New Mexico
                    http://www.network-marketing-mlm-business.com
                    http://www.Amazing-Health-Products.com
                    http://www.GilaMountainDulcimers.com
                    http://www.GilaMountainDulcimers.com/pekes-family.htm

                    Message 9 of 28 , May 27, 2008
                      Scott Fordin wrote:
                      >loro wrote:
                      > > I meant who'd use that Notetab setting, to force lowercase URLs. Not
                      > > that it matters, I'm just curious by nature. ;-)
                      >
                      >FWIW, I use all lowercase URLs and file names for several reasons:

                      Yes, I understand that. It's the usefulness of that setting i Notetab
                      I don't understand. Wouldn't it be easier to name the images in
                      lowercase to start with, or rename them? Especially since algeddis
                      says this case conversion is on by default it's bound to cause
                      problems, as we've just seen. I guess everything that forces this or
                      that seems counterproductive to me, since I would have to change the
                      setting every time I wanted it differently. Anyway, it doesn't
                      matter. Just curious, as said.

                      BTW I find uppercase (on a case sensitive system) very useful.
                      Personably I use it for example for old copies of files I want to
                      save a while (INDEX.html). Sometimes just for something I want to
                      stand out that shouldn't be on the web (NOTES, TODO). But that's
                      another matter. ;-)

                      Lotta
                    • Eric Fookes
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 27, 2008
                        Hi Lotta,

                        The reason for that option is that many FTP programs have an option to
                        upload files and automatically set their to lowercase during the
                        process. It's a feature I used a lot in the past. Setting that option in
                        NoteTab simply ensure that links in your Web pages will work if you're
                        uploading to a case-sensitive Web server.

                        Eric Fookes
                        http://www.fookes.com/

                        loro wrote:
                        > Scott Fordin wrote:
                        >> loro wrote:
                        >>> I meant who'd use that Notetab setting, to force lowercase URLs. Not
                        >>> that it matters, I'm just curious by nature. ;-)
                        >> FWIW, I use all lowercase URLs and file names for several reasons:
                        >
                        > Yes, I understand that. It's the usefulness of that setting i Notetab
                        > I don't understand. Wouldn't it be easier to name the images in
                        > lowercase to start with, or rename them? Especially since algeddis
                        > says this case conversion is on by default it's bound to cause
                        > problems, as we've just seen. I guess everything that forces this or
                        > that seems counterproductive to me, since I would have to change the
                        > setting every time I wanted it differently. Anyway, it doesn't
                        > matter. Just curious, as said.
                        >
                        > BTW I find uppercase (on a case sensitive system) very useful.
                        > Personably I use it for example for old copies of files I want to
                        > save a while (INDEX.html). Sometimes just for something I want to
                        > stand out that shouldn't be on the web (NOTES, TODO). But that's
                        > another matter. ;-)
                        >
                        > Lotta
                      • Mike Breiding
                        Message 11 of 28 , May 29, 2008
                          Greetings,
                          This link:
                          http://mbreiding.us/2008/dumpsters-on-reid-street/index.html#slip

                          works in IE 6 and Opera, but not FF.
                          In other words - they URL opens to the bottom of the page where this
                          code is:

                          ...<...title="Slip on Falling Run Road" id="#slip" name="#slip">...

                          What am I missing ?

                          Thanks,
                          -Mike
                          www.EpicRoadTrips.us
                        • Mike Breiding
                          Message 12 of 28 , May 29, 2008
                            Solved!
                            Removed the "#" from the ID name.
                            Duh...
                            -mb

                            Message 13 of 28 , May 29, 2008
                              Mike Breiding wrote:
                              > ...<...title="Slip on Falling Run Road" id="#slip" name="#slip">...
                              > What am I missing ?

                              Leave out the "#". Obviously IE and Opera silently corrct your
                              mistake while FF is more fussy but correct.