[NH] Underlined Links, Tables, CSS and such...

  • kevin@weblucent.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 1999

      Hello,

      My name is Kevin A. Krall, and I have been an avid fan of NoteTab Pro for almost 2 years, even though I have silently remained in the "background"...what did they use to call us?.."lurkers" ;-)

      However, I have had some contact with Jody (about my HTML 4.0 Ultimate Clipbook). I have now begun to enjoy this "HTML" NoteTab List, as it directly pertains to my profession...my website can be seen here: www.weblucent.com

      I now have decided to join the fray, and maybe try to contribute some guidance as to what works and what doesn't work and why, when it comes to "underline" links, tables, straight text, CSS and so on...

      You all have pretty much answered the question of whether to use underlined links or not, and I just thought to put it together in a concise manner for you here.

      When your hypertext link is "included" in actual content such as a paragraph, story and/or other such text then you should always use the underline. This helps visitors/readers distinguish between "actual content" and hypertext to "other content".

      However, when making a list of links, such as Nicole has mentioned, one does not need to have the links underlined (IMHO looks tacky), as this is readily recognized as a "list" of links, and as such, does not need the distinction of the underline.

      When making a long list of text a TABLE is the best way to do this: (actually the use of the TABLE element is still by far the only viable way to "structure" your whole web page)

      <TABLE>
       <TR>
        <TD>
      &nbsp;Table Data cell #1
        </TD>
        <TD>
      Table Data cell #2
      Put your text here and use the "ALIGN" Tag within the <TD> Element. For example <TD ALIGN="Left">.
      You can use the "Left" (Table Data cell #1) and the "Right" (Table Data cell #3) <TD>to adjust "Margin" for your text. To do this just add a "WIDTH=" to the <TD>.
      Let's say you wanted a 10pixel margin/space on the "Left" side of your content/paragraph. <TD WIDTH="10">&nbsp; would accomplish this as the "WIDTH" Value is recognized by MSIE 3.02/Netscape 3 and greater, Netscape requires "something" in the table data cell itself so that explains the use of the "&nbsp;"...
      </TD> <TD> &nbsp;Table Data cell #3 </TD> </TR> </TABLE>

      Now, as far as the use of Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) one would benefit by reading all they can, and experimenting all they can. Browsers are very "fickle" to say the least when it comes to the use of Style Sheets. However, with the newer browsers we are close to being able to using CSS1 almost completely. Use CSS2 at your own risk ;-)

      The speed at which a browser parses a TABLE is negligible, to say the least. there are too many "other" considerations to actually distinguish the time it takes just to load a TABLE in a browser (although someone I'm sure has done this test?). All Browsers "parse" (read, sift) HTML from the top down (Header-Content-Footer)...however they do read the TABLE as a complete whole, and as such will not display until the TABLE is "understood". Netscape takes longer as it is more particular about length/width of each table data cell, MSIE is not.

      Hopes this has helped and was clear (I despise mistakes), again I do enjoy this thread...and am looking forward to continued growth and participation here.

      Have a great weekend!
      Kevin

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html