Re: [NH] Down to 6...

    Message 1 of 3 , May 9, 2008
      Joe wrote:
      >I corrected the <BR> between HEAD and BODY and that error went away...

      Yay!

      >one more down...
      >I put in the META statement for Windows Character set and that works
      >too...

      Almost anything (within reason) will work if you use only ASCII
      characters. Personally I wouldn't use the Windows Charset, but to each his own.

      >It seems all that is left is the endtag for element P is not open

      This is actually a parallel to the error with the BODY tag. Let's
      look at the first occurrence of the error here.
      <http://www.htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.cgi?url=http%3A//nomad17.home.comcast.net/%7Enomad17/&warnings=yes&input=yes#L102>

      You have this HTML:

      99
      <<http://www.htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.cgi?url=http%3A//nomad17.home.comcast.net/%7Enomad17//reference/html40/block/p.html>P>
      100
      <<http://www.htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.cgi?url=http%3A//nomad17.home.comcast.net/%7Enomad17//reference/html40/special/a.html>A
      NAME="Thanks"></A>
      101
      <<http://www.htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.cgi?url=http%3A//nomad17.home.comcast.net/%7Enomad17//reference/html40/block/h2.html>H2
      ALIGN=CENTER>A Special Thanks to Ron Frenette and Bear Mountain Boats</H2>
      102 </P>

      Now, the end tag for P is optional (but it's good that you use it -
      keep doing that). P can't contain other block level elements. H2 is a
      block level element. When the validator comes to the H2 it considers
      the P to be closed. Therefore the closing P tag that you actually
      wrote is unmatched. Are you beginning to see the pattern now? :-)

      It's very important to learn what other elements an element can
      contain. The WDG reference is handy for these things. Look at the
      first error statement in WDG's validation result, "Error: end tag for
      element
      <http://www.htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.cgi?url=http%3A//nomad17.home.comcast.net/%7Enomad17//reference/html40/block/p.html>P
      which is not open...". The P is linked. If you click it you are taken
      to the section about P in the reference.
      <http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/block/p.html>
      Look at the bits called "Contents" and "Contained in".
      ---------------------------------
      Contents:
      <http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/block/../inline.html>Inline elements
      ---------------------------------
      So, no bock level elements in a P.

      Lotta

      Message 2 of 3 , May 9, 2008
        loro wrote:
        > Personally I wouldn't use the Windows Charset, but to each his own.

        Why, please? If and when you write using NoteTab cp1252 is what your
        files actually are. If you want them to be anything else you have to go
        the extra mile and actively convert them. Actually, this is what I do on
        my own sites. I prefer US-ASCII for its lowest level rock bottom
        comptibility, and inevitably all to often an umlaut creeps in in some
        last minute correction after the characters had already been converted.

        There are good reasons to use another character set, agreed, but then
        you have to actually use it. Just declaring it is wrong and does
        nothing.
        NoteTab is wrong here. Out of the box it declares ISO 8859-1. Now
        agreed, most of the characters are the same, but who guarantees you'll
        never use any of the others?

        Using one thing and declaring another is wrong. Declaring something that
        not all older browsers can be relied on to recognize is a bit less than
        ideal, but at least it's correct.