Re: [NH] Validator...

    Message 1 of 7 , May 9, 2008
      woodysnomad wrote:
      > I also used utf-8 for the charater set
      > but have no idea what that is for or if it's working.

      If you are writing with NoteTab in Windows, then the standard
      Windows character set is what your files actually contain. That
      being the case, this is what you should tell the browser they are,
      i.e:
      <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"
      CONTENT="text/html; charset=windows-1252">

      Message 2 of 7 , May 9, 2008
        Joe wrote:
        > Also where I put BODY following HEAD according to everything
        >have read, I get a validation error of document type does not allow
        >element BODY here? No clue here.

        Look what you have on the line before the opening BODY tag.
        <http://www.htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.cgi?url=http%3A//nomad17.home.comcast.net/%7Enomad17/&warnings=yes&input=yes#L14>

        It's like this. Both the start and closing tag for BODY are actually
        optional in HTML (but keep on using thems!). If they aren't used,
        they are "implied". No content, tags or text, can go between the
        closing HEAD tag and the opening BODY tag. But you have put a BR
        there. When the validator encounters the BR, it correctly assumes an
        implied opening BODY tag must come before it. So when it comes to the
        opening BODY tag you actually wrote, it sees it as a second BODY tag.

        It's a machine. It takes it line by line. That's why its output is
        sometimes a little oracle like. What you want to hear is: "Hey!
        You've put a BR tag between HEAD and BODY. That's no good!". The a
        validator won't say that, but I can. ;-)