Re: [NH] Validator...

    Message 1 of 7 , May 9, 2008
      Greg Chapman wrote:
      > HTMLTidy will automatically correct some basic errors and
      > provide a user definable pretty layout

      Yes but that layout is not the way I like it. What I do recommend is
      the Html Validator extension for Firefox. It gives you both the W3C
      Validator errors and Html Tidy warnings and hints and lets you view
      the source with the relevant part highlighted -- a big help. The
      only thing it does not do is character errors because the extension
      only sees the code after thert browser has internally converted the
      characters. (This is a bad thing for me, because I prefer to write
      German in US-ASCII encoding and these are my most frequent
      mistakes.)

      N.B: I too am happy to take a look at your code, Joe. We'll soon
      lick those errors, promise.

      Message 2 of 7 , May 9, 2008
        woodysnomad wrote:
        > I also used utf-8 for the charater set
        > but have no idea what that is for or if it's working.

        If you are writing with NoteTab in Windows, then the standard
        Windows character set is what your files actually contain. That
        being the case, this is what you should tell the browser they are,
        i.e:
        <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"
        CONTENT="text/html; charset=windows-1252">

        Message 3 of 7 , May 9, 2008
          Joe wrote:
          > Also where I put BODY following HEAD according to everything
          >have read, I get a validation error of document type does not allow
          >element BODY here? No clue here.

          Look what you have on the line before the opening BODY tag.
          <http://www.htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.cgi?url=http%3A//nomad17.home.comcast.net/%7Enomad17/&warnings=yes&input=yes#L14>

          It's like this. Both the start and closing tag for BODY are actually
          optional in HTML (but keep on using thems!). If they aren't used,
          they are "implied". No content, tags or text, can go between the
          closing HEAD tag and the opening BODY tag. But you have put a BR
          there. When the validator encounters the BR, it correctly assumes an
          implied opening BODY tag must come before it. So when it comes to the
          opening BODY tag you actually wrote, it sees it as a second BODY tag.

          It's a machine. It takes it line by line. That's why its output is
          sometimes a little oracle like. What you want to hear is: "Hey!
          You've put a BR tag between HEAD and BODY. That's no good!". The a
          validator won't say that, but I can. ;-)