Validator...

  • woodysnomad
    Message 1 of 7 , May 8 8:40 PM
      Well, I started with 47 errors and I'm down to 11 after many hours of
      trying to figure this stuff out. The DOCTYPE was all my error and I
      put in a line for HTML 4.1. I also used utf-8 for the charater set
      but have no idea what that is for or if it's working. I used LI in a
      table and found out that's no good but it worked in actuality. I used
      the LU but it gave me 2 lines and I only wanted single spacing so I
      used a special character with some blanks and it works OK but the
      bullet and the "topic" is underlined. Don't know how to get rid of
      this??? Also where I put BODY following HEAD according to everything
      have read, I get a validation error of document type does not allow
      element BODY here? No clue here. I also have 4 occurances of end tag
      for element P which is not open. I have practically re-written the
      file and I cannot find one occurance of this and I have also tried a
      search to no avail. The next bigee is "a word" is not a member of a
      group specified for any attribute. Can figure this out yet either.
      AT least I'm trying to validate and I have learned a bunch just by
      starting over and checking every line by line... URGH
      Thanks in advance,
      Joe
    • Cary Driscoll
      Message 2 of 7 , May 8 9:44 PM
        Do you have a URL we can look at to see what you're doing?

        > Well, I started with 47 errors and I'm down to 11 after many hours of
        > trying to figure this stuff out....
      • sisterscape
        Message 3 of 7 , May 8 10:10 PM
          Yes. Can't do a thing without the complete HTML and .css.

          --- Cary Driscoll <carydriscoll@...> wrote:

          > Do you have a URL we can look at to see what you're doing?

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 7 , May 9 12:29 AM
            Hi Woody,

            On 09 May 08 04:40 "woodysnomad" <jmgledhill@...> said:
            > I started with 47 errors and I'm down to 11 after many hours of
            > trying to figure this stuff out.

            It might be worth installing HTMLTidy (http://tidy.sourceforge.net/)
            which integrates with NoteTab.

            HTMLTidy will automatically correct some basic errors and provide a
            user definable pretty layout to make the code easier to check for why
            the bits it can't figure don't work, as well.

            It makes later validation that much easier.

            Greg
            Message 5 of 7 , May 9 2:16 AM
              Greg Chapman wrote:
              > HTMLTidy will automatically correct some basic errors and
              > provide a user definable pretty layout

              Yes but that layout is not the way I like it. What I do recommend is
              the Html Validator extension for Firefox. It gives you both the W3C
              Validator errors and Html Tidy warnings and hints and lets you view
              the source with the relevant part highlighted -- a big help. The
              only thing it does not do is character errors because the extension
              only sees the code after thert browser has internally converted the
              characters. (This is a bad thing for me, because I prefer to write
              German in US-ASCII encoding and these are my most frequent
              mistakes.)

              N.B: I too am happy to take a look at your code, Joe. We'll soon
              lick those errors, promise.

              Message 6 of 7 , May 9 3:42 AM
                woodysnomad wrote:
                > I also used utf-8 for the charater set
                > but have no idea what that is for or if it's working.

                If you are writing with NoteTab in Windows, then the standard
                Windows character set is what your files actually contain. That
                being the case, this is what you should tell the browser they are,
                i.e:
                <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"
                CONTENT="text/html; charset=windows-1252">

                Message 7 of 7 , May 9 5:41 AM
                  Joe wrote:
                  > Also where I put BODY following HEAD according to everything
                  >have read, I get a validation error of document type does not allow
                  >element BODY here? No clue here.

                  Look what you have on the line before the opening BODY tag.
                  <http://www.htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.cgi?url=http%3A//nomad17.home.comcast.net/%7Enomad17/&warnings=yes&input=yes#L14>

                  It's like this. Both the start and closing tag for BODY are actually
                  optional in HTML (but keep on using thems!). If they aren't used,
                  they are "implied". No content, tags or text, can go between the
                  closing HEAD tag and the opening BODY tag. But you have put a BR
                  there. When the validator encounters the BR, it correctly assumes an
                  implied opening BODY tag must come before it. So when it comes to the
                  opening BODY tag you actually wrote, it sees it as a second BODY tag.

                  It's a machine. It takes it line by line. That's why its output is
                  sometimes a little oracle like. What you want to hear is: "Hey!
                  You've put a BR tag between HEAD and BODY. That's no good!". The a
                  validator won't say that, but I can. ;-)