Re: [NH] Colors of link, vlink & alink when using a photo background.

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 14 , May 6 11:22 AM
      In addition to what Marcelo listed (he beat me to it!). . .

      If you are using a linked style sheet you shouldn't include the <!--
      -->.

      I also use " " around the image file name but can't remember why. Mac
      compatability?

      Added background: transparent ; to your links just to be safe a user
      doesn't see something funny.

      Try this:

      body { background-image: url("woodh1.jpg");
      color: #660000;
      font-family: Tahoma, Sans-serif;
      font-weight: bold;
      font-size: 90% }

      a:link {color: #660000 ; background: transparent ; font-weight: bold
      ; font-family: Tahoma, Sans-serif;}
      a:visited {color:#000000 ; background: transparent ; font-weight: bold
      ; font-family: Tahoma, Sans-serif;}
      a:active {color: #663333 ; background: transparent ; font-weight: bold
      ; font-family: Tahoma, Sans-serif;}

      Sister

      --- Marcelo de Castro Bastos <mcblista@...> wrote:

      > OK, in the first example your CSS syntax is just wrong. You are using
      >
      > HTML syntax in CSS, which won't work, unless the browser is more
      > forgiving than it should be. Your second example is MOSTLY right,
      > though.
      >
      > Let's see point by point:
      > - Don't use the equal sign to assign property values in CSS; use a
      > colon.
      > - Also, don't use quotes in the property values.
      > - "-1" is NOT an acceptable value for the "font-size" property.
      > Acceptable values are:
      > * Absolute-size keywords [ xx-small | x-small | small | medium |
      > large | x-large | xx-large ]
      > * Relative size keywords [smaller | larger ]
      > * Size in valid CSS units (px, pt, em, %) -- usage of em or % is
      > suggested as px and pt can cause problems.
      > - It's good practice to assign MORE than one name in the
      > "font-family"
      > property -- if the browser can't find the first font, it will try the
      >
      > second, then the third and so on, until it finds one it can use. A
      > good
      > idea is to use a generic font name as the last one. Generic font
      > names
      > are 'serif', 'sans-serif', 'cursive', 'fantasy', and 'monospace'.
      > - Although {font:bold} is a valid syntax, you should be careful using
      >
      > this: "font" by itself is a SHORTHAND syntax, supposed to set a
      > number
      > of attributes in one line, and it might end up setting attributes you
      >
      > didn't want to change. Try using separate properties to set each
      > attribute, like you did in your second example.
      >

      > Marcelo

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
      Message 2 of 14 , May 6 1:51 PM
        sisterscape wrote:
        > In addition to what Marcelo listed (he beat me to it!). . .

        And I didn't even notice. Am I going balmy?
        That said, Joe, you really ought to validate your code and your
        stylesheets. If not for grossly wrong syntax then for all those
        nasty typos and missing brackets that creep in.

        In fact, if anything does not seem to work as expected, validation
        should always be the first step. If the code is valid, you can look
        for faulty logic, but if not, some tiny innocuous mistake might take
        ages to find on your own.