Re: [NH] Colors of link, vlink & alink when using a photo background.

    Message 1 of 14 , May 6, 2008
      Joe wrote:
      >It looks great with dark brown letters but the colors of
      >the links change as soon as I use the photo. If I remove the photo
      >and used a background color, they work, OK... Any ideas what is
      >happening???

      I also think it's a matter of perception. That or you accidently
      changed more than you think you did when you added the background
      image. But to definitely solve the problem I think you have to show
      us a sample page with the background and the link color you talk about.

      While CSS is neat and all, a color is a color and I don't see how
      defining the color in CSS instead of in HTML will solve this problem.

      Lotta
    • woodysnomad
      Message 2 of 14 , May 6, 2008
        Thanks for all your replies... Here is what I have done:

        This is the code in my index.htm file seting up the CSS
        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" ref="Style3.css">

        This is the code I used to get a lite brownish background with dark
        brown letters with links. At one time they worked???
        <!--
        body { background-color: #FFCC99; color: #660000;
        font-family: tahoma; font = bold; size = -1 }
        a:link {color = "#660000" ; font = "bold" }
        a:visited {color = "#000000" ; font = "bold" }
        a:active {color = "#663333" ; font = "bold" }
        -->

        This is the code I used to get the photo background which looks like
        a pine board with dark brown letters. It also worked???
        <!--
        body { background-image: url(woodh1.jpg);
        color: #660000;
        font-family: tahoma;
        font-weight: bold;
        font-size: -1 }
        -->

        I have seen several ways to write the code and I just don't know what
        is the right way anymore. I am back to ground zero. When I used the
        brown background, the links all worked with black and a lighter brown
        letters and when I put the same code in with the photo, I would get
        blue and other wierd colors. Need lots of help...
        Thanks, Joe
      • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
        Message 3 of 14 , May 6, 2008
          Interviewed by CNN on 6/5/2008 13:38, woodysnomad told the world:
          > Thanks for all your replies... Here is what I have done:
          >
          > This is the code in my index.htm file seting up the CSS
          > <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" ref="Style3.css">
          >
          > This is the code I used to get a lite brownish background with dark
          > brown letters with links. At one time they worked???
          > <!--
          > body { background-color: #FFCC99; color: #660000;
          > font-family: tahoma; font = bold; size = -1 }
          > a:link {color = "#660000" ; font = "bold" }
          > a:visited {color = "#000000" ; font = "bold" }
          > a:active {color = "#663333" ; font = "bold" }
          > -->
          >
          > This is the code I used to get the photo background which looks like
          > a pine board with dark brown letters. It also worked???
          > <!--
          > body { background-image: url(woodh1.jpg);
          > color: #660000;
          > font-family: tahoma;
          > font-weight: bold;
          > font-size: -1 }
          > -->
          >
          > I have seen several ways to write the code and I just don't know what
          > is the right way anymore. I am back to ground zero. When I used the
          > brown background, the links all worked with black and a lighter brown
          > letters and when I put the same code in with the photo, I would get
          > blue and other wierd colors. Need lots of help...
          > Thanks, Joe

          OK, in the first example your CSS syntax is just wrong. You are using
          HTML syntax in CSS, which won't work, unless the browser is more
          forgiving than it should be. Your second example is MOSTLY right, though.

          Let's see point by point:
          - Don't use the equal sign to assign property values in CSS; use a colon.
          - Also, don't use quotes in the property values.
          - "-1" is NOT an acceptable value for the "font-size" property.
          Acceptable values are:
          * Absolute-size keywords [ xx-small | x-small | small | medium |
          large | x-large | xx-large ]
          * Relative size keywords [smaller | larger ]
          * Size in valid CSS units (px, pt, em, %) -- usage of em or % is
          suggested as px and pt can cause problems.
          - It's good practice to assign MORE than one name in the "font-family"
          property -- if the browser can't find the first font, it will try the
          second, then the third and so on, until it finds one it can use. A good
          idea is to use a generic font name as the last one. Generic font names
          are 'serif', 'sans-serif', 'cursive', 'fantasy', and 'monospace'.
          - Although {font:bold} is a valid syntax, you should be careful using
          this: "font" by itself is a SHORTHAND syntax, supposed to set a number
          of attributes in one line, and it might end up setting attributes you
          didn't want to change. Try using separate properties to set each
          attribute, like you did in your second example.

          Marcelo
          -=-=-
          Look Ma, No Taglines!
          * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.9
          Message 4 of 14 , May 6, 2008
            As to colour I stand by what several people wrote, it must be
            perception. As a case in point I have just adjusted the default colours
            in my browsers a little. Text made of thin lines looks totally different
            from the block of colour where I define it, it took many trial and error
            steps to get it right. (My being colour deficient limits choices.)

            But additionally we no longer use MGA or CGA, where a pixel is a pixel,
            but proportional fonts where lines straddle pixel boundaries. The actual
            pixel then becomes a mixture of foreground and background colour. You
            can see that by taking a screen shot and zooming very far in with a tool
            that does not smooth the enlargement but shows actual pixels as square
            blocks (Irfanview when looking at a selection). There's not much you can
            do but live with it and choose colours it does not become too bad with.

            woodysnomad wrote:
            > body { font = bold; size = -1 }

            I've done that myself, as it seems to be the taste of the advertising
            flacks and the masses have come to expect it, but it is wrong. You can
            use big and small script where appropriate, but the main text, the bread
            font, ought to be left well alone. The reader chooses how he likes it
            best for optimal legibility and it is up to us to respect their choices.
            In fact three out of four of my browsers are set to ignore all font
            style, size, and colour directives that may be in the page and present
            them exactly the way I find them most comfortable to read.
            At least test your pages with raising and lowering font sizes in the
            browser (<Ctrl><+> in Mozilla) and check they do not break. If they do,
            redesign them.

            And lastly you forgot the basic rule "if you change one colour, change
            them all" If you set a background you must set a font colour and vice
            versa. It may not be very probable, but it's entirely possible that
            someone for whatever reason has set his default font colour to exactly
            or very nearly your choice of background.

            Axel
          • sisterscape
            Message 5 of 14 , May 6, 2008
              In addition to what Marcelo listed (he beat me to it!). . .

              If you are using a linked style sheet you shouldn't include the <!--
              -->.

              I also use " " around the image file name but can't remember why. Mac
              compatability?

              Added background: transparent ; to your links just to be safe a user
              doesn't see something funny.

              Try this:

              body { background-image: url("woodh1.jpg");
              color: #660000;
              font-family: Tahoma, Sans-serif;
              font-weight: bold;
              font-size: 90% }

              a:link {color: #660000 ; background: transparent ; font-weight: bold
              ; font-family: Tahoma, Sans-serif;}
              a:visited {color:#000000 ; background: transparent ; font-weight: bold
              ; font-family: Tahoma, Sans-serif;}
              a:active {color: #663333 ; background: transparent ; font-weight: bold
              ; font-family: Tahoma, Sans-serif;}

              Sister

              --- Marcelo de Castro Bastos <mcblista@...> wrote:

              > OK, in the first example your CSS syntax is just wrong. You are using
              >
              > HTML syntax in CSS, which won't work, unless the browser is more
              > forgiving than it should be. Your second example is MOSTLY right,
              > though.
              >
              > Let's see point by point:
              > - Don't use the equal sign to assign property values in CSS; use a
              > colon.
              > - Also, don't use quotes in the property values.
              > - "-1" is NOT an acceptable value for the "font-size" property.
              > Acceptable values are:
              > * Absolute-size keywords [ xx-small | x-small | small | medium |
              > large | x-large | xx-large ]
              > * Relative size keywords [smaller | larger ]
              > * Size in valid CSS units (px, pt, em, %) -- usage of em or % is
              > suggested as px and pt can cause problems.
              > - It's good practice to assign MORE than one name in the
              > "font-family"
              > property -- if the browser can't find the first font, it will try the
              >
              > second, then the third and so on, until it finds one it can use. A
              > good
              > idea is to use a generic font name as the last one. Generic font
              > names
              > are 'serif', 'sans-serif', 'cursive', 'fantasy', and 'monospace'.
              > - Although {font:bold} is a valid syntax, you should be careful using
              >
              > this: "font" by itself is a SHORTHAND syntax, supposed to set a
              > number
              > of attributes in one line, and it might end up setting attributes you
              >
              > didn't want to change. Try using separate properties to set each
              > attribute, like you did in your second example.
              >

              > Marcelo

              Be a better friend, newshound, and
              Message 6 of 14 , May 6, 2008
                sisterscape wrote:
                > In addition to what Marcelo listed (he beat me to it!). . .

                And I didn't even notice. Am I going balmy?
                That said, Joe, you really ought to validate your code and your
                stylesheets. If not for grossly wrong syntax then for all those
                nasty typos and missing brackets that creep in.

                In fact, if anything does not seem to work as expected, validation
                should always be the first step. If the code is valid, you can look
                for faulty logic, but if not, some tiny innocuous mistake might take
                ages to find on your own.