Re: [NH] Colors of link, vlink & alink when using a photo background.

    Message 1 of 14 , May 5 8:53 AM
      sisterscape wrote:
      > If the colors are just a little off, this might be the problem.

      Agreed. What you could do is make a screenshot and feed it to some
      graphics program. Many have a tool to pick the colour from one
      precise point and show you exactly what it is or supposed to be.
      Apart from your eyes it might also be the monitor that reacts a bit
      to the surroundings (although if present at all that effect will be
      small).

      Axel
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 14 , May 5 2:46 PM
        On 05 May 08 16:46 sisterscape <sisterscape@...> said:
        > An even better way to go would be to put the links in CSS rather
        > than the markup. You could even define different classes of links
        > for different parts of your page:

        ......>
        > a.other:link
        >
        > a.other:visited
        >
        > a.other:active
        >
        > a.other:hover

        And in the case of a menu I'd only use:

        a.menu

        and normally:

        a.menu:hover

        as one rarely wants menu links to change colour in the way that one
        does with links in he main body of the page.

        Greg
        Message 3 of 14 , May 5 10:09 PM
          Greg Chapman wrote:
          > a.menu
          > a.menu:hover

          Don't just use hover, always use focus,hover,active in that order.
          While a mouse user has the pointer to show him where he is, a
          keyboard user tabbing through a page needs more feedback and often
          gets less. Iirc the active is needed for IE, which does not
          recognize focus.

          Message 4 of 14 , May 6 4:37 AM
            Joe wrote:
            >It looks great with dark brown letters but the colors of
            >the links change as soon as I use the photo. If I remove the photo
            >and used a background color, they work, OK... Any ideas what is
            >happening???

            I also think it's a matter of perception. That or you accidently
            changed more than you think you did when you added the background
            image. But to definitely solve the problem I think you have to show
            us a sample page with the background and the link color you talk about.

            While CSS is neat and all, a color is a color and I don't see how
            defining the color in CSS instead of in HTML will solve this problem.

            Lotta
          • woodysnomad
            Message 5 of 14 , May 6 9:38 AM
              Thanks for all your replies... Here is what I have done:

              This is the code in my index.htm file seting up the CSS
              <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" ref="Style3.css">

              This is the code I used to get a lite brownish background with dark
              brown letters with links. At one time they worked???
              <!--
              body { background-color: #FFCC99; color: #660000;
              font-family: tahoma; font = bold; size = -1 }
              a:link {color = "#660000" ; font = "bold" }
              a:visited {color = "#000000" ; font = "bold" }
              a:active {color = "#663333" ; font = "bold" }
              -->

              This is the code I used to get the photo background which looks like
              a pine board with dark brown letters. It also worked???
              <!--
              body { background-image: url(woodh1.jpg);
              color: #660000;
              font-family: tahoma;
              font-weight: bold;
              font-size: -1 }
              -->

              I have seen several ways to write the code and I just don't know what
              is the right way anymore. I am back to ground zero. When I used the
              brown background, the links all worked with black and a lighter brown
              letters and when I put the same code in with the photo, I would get
              blue and other wierd colors. Need lots of help...
              Thanks, Joe
            • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
              Message 6 of 14 , May 6 10:09 AM
                Interviewed by CNN on 6/5/2008 13:38, woodysnomad told the world:
                > Thanks for all your replies... Here is what I have done:
                >
                > This is the code in my index.htm file seting up the CSS
                > <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" ref="Style3.css">
                >
                > This is the code I used to get a lite brownish background with dark
                > brown letters with links. At one time they worked???
                > <!--
                > body { background-color: #FFCC99; color: #660000;
                > font-family: tahoma; font = bold; size = -1 }
                > a:link {color = "#660000" ; font = "bold" }
                > a:visited {color = "#000000" ; font = "bold" }
                > a:active {color = "#663333" ; font = "bold" }
                > -->
                >
                > This is the code I used to get the photo background which looks like
                > a pine board with dark brown letters. It also worked???
                > <!--
                > body { background-image: url(woodh1.jpg);
                > color: #660000;
                > font-family: tahoma;
                > font-weight: bold;
                > font-size: -1 }
                > -->
                >
                > I have seen several ways to write the code and I just don't know what
                > is the right way anymore. I am back to ground zero. When I used the
                > brown background, the links all worked with black and a lighter brown
                > letters and when I put the same code in with the photo, I would get
                > blue and other wierd colors. Need lots of help...
                > Thanks, Joe

                OK, in the first example your CSS syntax is just wrong. You are using
                HTML syntax in CSS, which won't work, unless the browser is more
                forgiving than it should be. Your second example is MOSTLY right, though.

                Let's see point by point:
                - Don't use the equal sign to assign property values in CSS; use a colon.
                - Also, don't use quotes in the property values.
                - "-1" is NOT an acceptable value for the "font-size" property.
                Acceptable values are:
                * Absolute-size keywords [ xx-small | x-small | small | medium |
                large | x-large | xx-large ]
                * Relative size keywords [smaller | larger ]
                * Size in valid CSS units (px, pt, em, %) -- usage of em or % is
                suggested as px and pt can cause problems.
                - It's good practice to assign MORE than one name in the "font-family"
                property -- if the browser can't find the first font, it will try the
                second, then the third and so on, until it finds one it can use. A good
                idea is to use a generic font name as the last one. Generic font names
                are 'serif', 'sans-serif', 'cursive', 'fantasy', and 'monospace'.
                - Although {font:bold} is a valid syntax, you should be careful using
                this: "font" by itself is a SHORTHAND syntax, supposed to set a number
                of attributes in one line, and it might end up setting attributes you
                didn't want to change. Try using separate properties to set each
                attribute, like you did in your second example.

                Marcelo
                -=-=-
                Look Ma, No Taglines!
                * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.9
                Message 7 of 14 , May 6 10:12 AM
                  As to colour I stand by what several people wrote, it must be
                  perception. As a case in point I have just adjusted the default colours
                  in my browsers a little. Text made of thin lines looks totally different
                  from the block of colour where I define it, it took many trial and error
                  steps to get it right. (My being colour deficient limits choices.)

                  But additionally we no longer use MGA or CGA, where a pixel is a pixel,
                  but proportional fonts where lines straddle pixel boundaries. The actual
                  pixel then becomes a mixture of foreground and background colour. You
                  can see that by taking a screen shot and zooming very far in with a tool
                  that does not smooth the enlargement but shows actual pixels as square
                  blocks (Irfanview when looking at a selection). There's not much you can
                  do but live with it and choose colours it does not become too bad with.

                  woodysnomad wrote:
                  > body { font = bold; size = -1 }

                  I've done that myself, as it seems to be the taste of the advertising
                  flacks and the masses have come to expect it, but it is wrong. You can
                  use big and small script where appropriate, but the main text, the bread
                  font, ought to be left well alone. The reader chooses how he likes it
                  best for optimal legibility and it is up to us to respect their choices.
                  In fact three out of four of my browsers are set to ignore all font
                  style, size, and colour directives that may be in the page and present
                  them exactly the way I find them most comfortable to read.
                  At least test your pages with raising and lowering font sizes in the
                  browser (<Ctrl><+> in Mozilla) and check they do not break. If they do,
                  redesign them.

                  And lastly you forgot the basic rule "if you change one colour, change
                  them all" If you set a background you must set a font colour and vice
                  versa. It may not be very probable, but it's entirely possible that
                  someone for whatever reason has set his default font colour to exactly
                  or very nearly your choice of background.

                  Axel
                • sisterscape
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 6 11:22 AM
                    In addition to what Marcelo listed (he beat me to it!). . .

                    If you are using a linked style sheet you shouldn't include the <!--
                    -->.

                    I also use " " around the image file name but can't remember why. Mac
                    compatability?

                    Added background: transparent ; to your links just to be safe a user
                    doesn't see something funny.

                    Try this:

                    body { background-image: url("woodh1.jpg");
                    color: #660000;
                    font-family: Tahoma, Sans-serif;
                    font-weight: bold;
                    font-size: 90% }

                    a:link {color: #660000 ; background: transparent ; font-weight: bold
                    ; font-family: Tahoma, Sans-serif;}
                    a:visited {color:#000000 ; background: transparent ; font-weight: bold
                    ; font-family: Tahoma, Sans-serif;}
                    a:active {color: #663333 ; background: transparent ; font-weight: bold
                    ; font-family: Tahoma, Sans-serif;}

                    Sister

                    --- Marcelo de Castro Bastos <mcblista@...> wrote:

                    > OK, in the first example your CSS syntax is just wrong. You are using
                    >
                    > HTML syntax in CSS, which won't work, unless the browser is more
                    > forgiving than it should be. Your second example is MOSTLY right,
                    > though.
                    >
                    > Let's see point by point:
                    > - Don't use the equal sign to assign property values in CSS; use a
                    > colon.
                    > - Also, don't use quotes in the property values.
                    > - "-1" is NOT an acceptable value for the "font-size" property.
                    > Acceptable values are:
                    > * Absolute-size keywords [ xx-small | x-small | small | medium |
                    > large | x-large | xx-large ]
                    > * Relative size keywords [smaller | larger ]
                    > * Size in valid CSS units (px, pt, em, %) -- usage of em or % is
                    > suggested as px and pt can cause problems.
                    > - It's good practice to assign MORE than one name in the
                    > "font-family"
                    > property -- if the browser can't find the first font, it will try the
                    >
                    > second, then the third and so on, until it finds one it can use. A
                    > good
                    > idea is to use a generic font name as the last one. Generic font
                    > names
                    > are 'serif', 'sans-serif', 'cursive', 'fantasy', and 'monospace'.
                    > - Although {font:bold} is a valid syntax, you should be careful using
                    >
                    > this: "font" by itself is a SHORTHAND syntax, supposed to set a
                    > number
                    > of attributes in one line, and it might end up setting attributes you
                    >
                    > didn't want to change. Try using separate properties to set each
                    > attribute, like you did in your second example.
                    >

                    > Marcelo

                    Be a better friend, newshound, and
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 6 1:51 PM
                      sisterscape wrote:
                      > In addition to what Marcelo listed (he beat me to it!). . .

                      And I didn't even notice. Am I going balmy?
                      That said, Joe, you really ought to validate your code and your
                      stylesheets. If not for grossly wrong syntax then for all those
                      nasty typos and missing brackets that creep in.

                      In fact, if anything does not seem to work as expected, validation
                      should always be the first step. If the code is valid, you can look
                      for faulty logic, but if not, some tiny innocuous mistake might take
                      ages to find on your own.