Re: [NH] Colors of link, vlink & alink when using a photo background.

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 14 , May 5, 2008
      Hi
      Are the links active ,change color when you land on them ,you may have to
      change the color to match your background ,have you checked the colors ?
      THANKYOU DAVE M

      Message 2 of 14 , May 5, 2008
        Are perhaps the link colour values different in different tags? Such as
        - is the background in a container tag together with the links?

        Regards

        Chris Dart

        ________________________________

        Are the links active ,change color when you land on them ,you may have
        change the color to match your background ,have you checked the colors ?
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        >I am working on a website showing how I am building a cedar strip
        > canoe and I found a photo of a pine board that I am using for a
        > background. It looks great with dark brown letters but the colors of
        > the links change as soon as I use the photo. If I remove the photo
        > and used a background color, they work, OK... Any ideas what is
        > happening???
        > Thanks in advance, Joe

      • sisterscape
        Message 3 of 14 , May 5, 2008
          Here are some more thoughts . . .

          Sometime colors will look different on different backgrounds. It's
          kind of an optical illusion - I often have to readjust a color to
          account for it. If the colors are just a little off, this might be the
          problem. If they are totally different, the problem lies elsewhere.
          Could you post some code?

          An even better way to go would be to put the links in CSS rather than
          the markup. You could even define different classes of links for
          different parts of your page:

          a:link

          a:visited

          a:active

          a:hover

          a.other:link

          a.other:visited

          a.other:active

          a.other:hover

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
          Message 4 of 14 , May 5, 2008
            sisterscape wrote:
            > If the colors are just a little off, this might be the problem.

            Agreed. What you could do is make a screenshot and feed it to some
            graphics program. Many have a tool to pick the colour from one
            precise point and show you exactly what it is or supposed to be.
            Apart from your eyes it might also be the monitor that reacts a bit
            to the surroundings (although if present at all that effect will be
            small).

            Axel
          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 14 , May 5, 2008
              On 05 May 08 16:46 sisterscape <sisterscape@...> said:
              > An even better way to go would be to put the links in CSS rather
              > than the markup. You could even define different classes of links
              > for different parts of your page:

              ......>
              > a.other:link
              >
              > a.other:visited
              >
              > a.other:active
              >
              > a.other:hover

              And in the case of a menu I'd only use:

              a.menu

              and normally:

              a.menu:hover

              as one rarely wants menu links to change colour in the way that one
              does with links in he main body of the page.

              Greg
              Message 6 of 14 , May 5, 2008
                Greg Chapman wrote:
                > a.menu
                > a.menu:hover

                Don't just use hover, always use focus,hover,active in that order.
                While a mouse user has the pointer to show him where he is, a
                keyboard user tabbing through a page needs more feedback and often
                gets less. Iirc the active is needed for IE, which does not
                recognize focus.

                Message 7 of 14 , May 6, 2008
                  Joe wrote:
                  >It looks great with dark brown letters but the colors of
                  >the links change as soon as I use the photo. If I remove the photo
                  >and used a background color, they work, OK... Any ideas what is
                  >happening???

                  I also think it's a matter of perception. That or you accidently
                  changed more than you think you did when you added the background
                  image. But to definitely solve the problem I think you have to show
                  us a sample page with the background and the link color you talk about.

                  While CSS is neat and all, a color is a color and I don't see how
                  defining the color in CSS instead of in HTML will solve this problem.

                  Lotta
                • woodysnomad
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 6, 2008
                    Thanks for all your replies... Here is what I have done:

                    This is the code in my index.htm file seting up the CSS
                    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" ref="Style3.css">

                    This is the code I used to get a lite brownish background with dark
                    brown letters with links. At one time they worked???
                    <!--
                    body { background-color: #FFCC99; color: #660000;
                    font-family: tahoma; font = bold; size = -1 }
                    a:link {color = "#660000" ; font = "bold" }
                    a:visited {color = "#000000" ; font = "bold" }
                    a:active {color = "#663333" ; font = "bold" }
                    -->

                    This is the code I used to get the photo background which looks like
                    a pine board with dark brown letters. It also worked???
                    <!--
                    body { background-image: url(woodh1.jpg);
                    color: #660000;
                    font-family: tahoma;
                    font-weight: bold;
                    font-size: -1 }
                    -->

                    I have seen several ways to write the code and I just don't know what
                    is the right way anymore. I am back to ground zero. When I used the
                    brown background, the links all worked with black and a lighter brown
                    letters and when I put the same code in with the photo, I would get
                    blue and other wierd colors. Need lots of help...
                    Thanks, Joe
                  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 6, 2008
                      Interviewed by CNN on 6/5/2008 13:38, woodysnomad told the world:
                      > Thanks for all your replies... Here is what I have done:
                      >
                      > This is the code in my index.htm file seting up the CSS
                      > <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" ref="Style3.css">
                      >
                      > This is the code I used to get a lite brownish background with dark
                      > brown letters with links. At one time they worked???
                      > <!--
                      > body { background-color: #FFCC99; color: #660000;
                      > font-family: tahoma; font = bold; size = -1 }
                      > a:link {color = "#660000" ; font = "bold" }
                      > a:visited {color = "#000000" ; font = "bold" }
                      > a:active {color = "#663333" ; font = "bold" }
                      > -->
                      >
                      > This is the code I used to get the photo background which looks like
                      > a pine board with dark brown letters. It also worked???
                      > <!--
                      > body { background-image: url(woodh1.jpg);
                      > color: #660000;
                      > font-family: tahoma;
                      > font-weight: bold;
                      > font-size: -1 }
                      > -->
                      >
                      > I have seen several ways to write the code and I just don't know what
                      > is the right way anymore. I am back to ground zero. When I used the
                      > brown background, the links all worked with black and a lighter brown
                      > letters and when I put the same code in with the photo, I would get
                      > blue and other wierd colors. Need lots of help...
                      > Thanks, Joe

                      OK, in the first example your CSS syntax is just wrong. You are using
                      HTML syntax in CSS, which won't work, unless the browser is more
                      forgiving than it should be. Your second example is MOSTLY right, though.

                      Let's see point by point:
                      - Don't use the equal sign to assign property values in CSS; use a colon.
                      - Also, don't use quotes in the property values.
                      - "-1" is NOT an acceptable value for the "font-size" property.
                      Acceptable values are:
                      * Absolute-size keywords [ xx-small | x-small | small | medium |
                      large | x-large | xx-large ]
                      * Relative size keywords [smaller | larger ]
                      * Size in valid CSS units (px, pt, em, %) -- usage of em or % is
                      suggested as px and pt can cause problems.
                      - It's good practice to assign MORE than one name in the "font-family"
                      property -- if the browser can't find the first font, it will try the
                      second, then the third and so on, until it finds one it can use. A good
                      idea is to use a generic font name as the last one. Generic font names
                      are 'serif', 'sans-serif', 'cursive', 'fantasy', and 'monospace'.
                      - Although {font:bold} is a valid syntax, you should be careful using
                      this: "font" by itself is a SHORTHAND syntax, supposed to set a number
                      of attributes in one line, and it might end up setting attributes you
                      didn't want to change. Try using separate properties to set each
                      attribute, like you did in your second example.

                      Marcelo
                      -=-=-
                      Look Ma, No Taglines!
                      * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.9
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 6, 2008
                        As to colour I stand by what several people wrote, it must be
                        perception. As a case in point I have just adjusted the default colours
                        in my browsers a little. Text made of thin lines looks totally different
                        from the block of colour where I define it, it took many trial and error
                        steps to get it right. (My being colour deficient limits choices.)

                        But additionally we no longer use MGA or CGA, where a pixel is a pixel,
                        but proportional fonts where lines straddle pixel boundaries. The actual
                        pixel then becomes a mixture of foreground and background colour. You
                        can see that by taking a screen shot and zooming very far in with a tool
                        that does not smooth the enlargement but shows actual pixels as square
                        blocks (Irfanview when looking at a selection). There's not much you can
                        do but live with it and choose colours it does not become too bad with.

                        woodysnomad wrote:
                        > body { font = bold; size = -1 }

                        I've done that myself, as it seems to be the taste of the advertising
                        flacks and the masses have come to expect it, but it is wrong. You can
                        use big and small script where appropriate, but the main text, the bread
                        font, ought to be left well alone. The reader chooses how he likes it
                        best for optimal legibility and it is up to us to respect their choices.
                        In fact three out of four of my browsers are set to ignore all font
                        style, size, and colour directives that may be in the page and present
                        them exactly the way I find them most comfortable to read.
                        At least test your pages with raising and lowering font sizes in the
                        browser (<Ctrl><+> in Mozilla) and check they do not break. If they do,
                        redesign them.

                        And lastly you forgot the basic rule "if you change one colour, change
                        them all" If you set a background you must set a font colour and vice
                        versa. It may not be very probable, but it's entirely possible that
                        someone for whatever reason has set his default font colour to exactly
                        or very nearly your choice of background.

                        Axel
                      • sisterscape
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 6, 2008
                          In addition to what Marcelo listed (he beat me to it!). . .

                          If you are using a linked style sheet you shouldn't include the <!--
                          -->.

                          I also use " " around the image file name but can't remember why. Mac
                          compatability?

                          Added background: transparent ; to your links just to be safe a user
                          doesn't see something funny.

                          Try this:

                          body { background-image: url("woodh1.jpg");
                          color: #660000;
                          font-family: Tahoma, Sans-serif;
                          font-weight: bold;
                          font-size: 90% }

                          a:link {color: #660000 ; background: transparent ; font-weight: bold
                          ; font-family: Tahoma, Sans-serif;}
                          a:visited {color:#000000 ; background: transparent ; font-weight: bold
                          ; font-family: Tahoma, Sans-serif;}
                          a:active {color: #663333 ; background: transparent ; font-weight: bold
                          ; font-family: Tahoma, Sans-serif;}

                          Sister

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 6, 2008
                            sisterscape wrote:
                            > In addition to what Marcelo listed (he beat me to it!). . .

                            And I didn't even notice. Am I going balmy?
                            That said, Joe, you really ought to validate your code and your
                            stylesheets. If not for grossly wrong syntax then for all those
                            nasty typos and missing brackets that creep in.

                            In fact, if anything does not seem to work as expected, validation
                            should always be the first step. If the code is valid, you can look
                            for faulty logic, but if not, some tiny innocuous mistake might take
                            ages to find on your own.