Re: [NH] HTML radio button forms with submission capability

  • Mike Breiding
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 26, 2008
      Rudolf Horbas wrote:
      > Hi Mike,
      >> I am looking for examples of form list using radio buttons.
      >> Heree is what I wan to do.
      >> Create a list with button for each item.
      >> Any number of items can be selected.
      >>
      > "Any number" meaning multiple selections or just one item?
      > For the latter, radio buttons would be right; multiple choices require
      > checkboxes.

      Hi Rudi,
      Multiple selections.
      To be specific: This would be a list of birds. The birds observed would
      be checked off in the form and then a list of the birds checked off
      would be generated on submission.
      To make it more useful I guess it should have entry boxes for the
      location, time , date and observer as well.

      > Here's a simple example with both, using php:
      > <form method="post" action="<?=$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']?>">
      >
      > Checkboxes:
      > <ul style="list-style-type: none;">
      > <li>
      > <input type="checkbox" name="checkbox[foo]" value="Foo" />
      > Foo
      > </li>
      > <li>
      > <input type="checkbox" name="checkbox[bar]" value="Bar" />
      > Bar
      > </li>
      > </ul>
      >
      > <input type="submit" value="Send" />
      > </form>
      > These are the form values that are being submitted:
      > <pre>
      > <?php
      > print_r( $_POST );
      > ?>
      > </pre>

      > When selection is finished and submission made, the output is saved as
      > a text file.
      > That's where the trickier part starts: processing the values.
      > Where'd you want to save the text file? On the server? Or on the
      > client's computer? Rudi

      I like the check boxes!
      The file would need to be saved to the client.
      Thanks,
      -Mike
    • Rudolf Horbas
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 26, 2008
        Hi Mike,

        > Multiple selections.
        > To be specific: This would be a list of birds. The birds observed would
        > be checked off in the form and then a list of the birds checked off
        > would be generated on submission.
        > To make it more useful I guess it should have entry boxes for the
        > location, time , date and observer as well.
        > (...)
        > The file would need to be saved to the client.

        Here's an extended version of the first. Caution: No whitespace or extra
        lines before the opening <?php, or else the script fails with an error
        that headers are already sent!

        <?php
        # form has been submitted:
        if( count( @$_POST['birds'] ) > 0 )
        {
        $birdlist = '';
        # build list from form fields:
        foreach( $_POST['birds'] as $bird )
        {
        $birdlist .= "$bird\r\n";
        }
        # send as file to client
        header( 'Content-type: application/text' );
        # make filename with date
        header( 'Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=birdlist_' .
        date('Ymdhis') . '.txt' );
        echo $birdlist;
        exit; # finish processing
        }
        ?>
        <head>
        <title>Birdlist</title>
        </head>
        <form method="post" action="<?=$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']?>">
        Birds:
        <ul style="list-style-type: none;">
        <li>
        <input type="checkbox" name="birds[]" value="Sparrow" />
        Sparrow
        </li>
        <li>
        <input type="checkbox" name="birds[]" value="Wren" />
        Wren
        </li>
        </ul>
        <input type="submit" value="Send" />
        </form>

        To submit more information, you'd have to extend the form.
        I'd send a more distinguished example for the processing, but I'm
        running out of time today, sorry.

        Rudi