need a little help with "malformed URI reference"

  • Bruce Meyers
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2008
      In doing a Tidy check of one of my pages, I get this Warning:

      "Escaping malformed URI reference" for the line starting with <a href>
      which is inside a <strong></strong> [It does say URI and not URL and
      I am not sure what that means.]

      Here is the html I am asking about:

      <strong>To communicate with the Senior Resource Center, send an e-
      mail to<br>
      Center">Senior Resource Center</a>  [click on the link to
      open your e-mail]</strong>

      What am I doing wrong here? The entry looks right on the screen and
      the "mailto:" works properly but Tidy says it is "malformed"

      Could it be wrong because the whole thing is set to be "strong?"

      Obviously I am doing something wrong, but I cannot see what. Can you
      see what it is? Thanks

      Bruce Meyers
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2008
        Bruce Meyers wrote:
        snip
        > "Escaping malformed URI reference" for the line starting with <a href>
        > which is inside a <strong></strong> [It does say URI and not URL and
        > I am not sure what that means.]
        snip
        > <strong>To communicate with the Senior Resource Center, send an e-
        > mail to<br>
        > Center">Senior Resource Center</a>  [click on the link to
        > open your e-mail]</strong>

        Bruce, it is the spaces in your subject that cause this issue. Use %20
        or replace with underscores etc.

        http://www.htmlpedia.org/wiki/Tidy_64
      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2008

          --

          Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
          ~~

          "Proponents of each side are vying with determination to prove their ignorance is greater than the other."

          President Andrew Jackson, discussing a bill going through the US Congress.

          Visit http://ibssg.org/
          For The Blacksheep website, Montgomery County, Putnam County, and Fountain County USGenWeb sites. MORE...

          Putnam County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
          http://ibssg.org/putnam/bios/

          Montgomery County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
          http://ibssg.org/montgomery/bios/

          Fountain County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
          http://ibssg.org/fountain/vitals/bios/
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 4, 2008
            Jeff Scism wrote:

            No, that's not it. Don is right here, and he was faster than I am.

            I only encounter that problem with URLs, and there ^$FileToUrl()$ does
            it all for me. Or more exactly, nearly all. I still need those two lines
            in the clip:

            ^!Set %varURL%=^$StrReplace("&";"&";"^%varURL%";False;False)$
            ^!Set
            %varURL%=^$StrReplace("&amp;";"&";"^%varURL%";False;False)$

            (Beware of the linebreak!)

            Perhaps you can build something along that for your mailto: clip.