Re: [NH] Helvetica Not In Control Panel

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 29, 2008
      In addition to font choice, there is the issue of font sizing. I found
      these two links very helpful in sorting things out:

      http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/font/index.html#screens

      http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/typography/index.html

      In addition, I started a thread over at Sitepoint on this very issue.
      It includes feedback from Jeffrey Zeldman and Eric Meyers concerning
      the font sizing practices on the ALA site (which suffers from the sub
      1em glitch mentioned by Owen Briggs):

      http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309991

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 30, 2008
        Hi Marcelo and sister

        Many thanks for your comprehensive answers.

        Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 30, 2008
          Ray Shapp wrote:
          > Many thanks for your comprehensive answers.

          Two additions perhaps:
          If your layout gets more refined, don't forget to test the fallbacks
          too.

          And remember that since time immemorial all browsers offer the settings
          "ignore font styles and sizes", "ignore colours", and "use only my
          preffered font size", which is how three out of four of my browsers are
          set up. One of the three also ignores all CSS and renders the pure HTML,
          while all of them ignore scripts unless explicitly allowed for the site,
          which I am much less likely to do than just leave in disgust.
          Any well made sites must work with these limitations, they need not be
          especially beautiful that way, but they have to be useable.

          Axel
        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2008
            Hi Axel,

            <<since time immemorial all browsers offer the settings
            "ignore font styles and sizes", "ignore colours", and "use only my
            preffered font size",>>

            Yes, two of my four PCs ignore all the best efforts of the web designers.

            Thanks for mentioning it.

            Ray Shapp