[NH] Re: Frames

  • bensbach
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 21, 2008
      I have been in contact with my website hosting
      company's technical support, but up to now the
      mystery of where my uploaded files can be
      remains unresolved, as the hosting company,
      skymarket.co.uk cannot find them on its
      servers. But my FTP client can see them.

      I give below the exchange of messages.

      Anyone any suggestions?

      ME:
      After the small problem with logging in to the
      FTP server was resolved I successfully uploaded
      my new files, on Tuesday 15th January. The log
      file showed this was accomplished successfully.
      Since then I have uploaded new and modified
      files by synchronisation with the FTP server.
      The synchronisation process has shown that the
      previously uploaded files are present on the
      server.
      However I am not seeing the new site in my
      browsers.
      [...]

      HOST:
      Which domain are you having issues with?

      ME:
      www.rainbowends.org
      This is my only domain.

      HOST:
      I have looked at that hosting and it was last
      updated in 2003.
      Can you confirm the FTP information you are
      using. Host, user and pass please.

      ME:
      I have been using as my "FTP Neighbourhood":
      www.rainbowends.org and my user i/d and
      password are as given to me by you, as below.

      HOST:
      I have logged into FTP using that information
      and I see the same files as before, the ones
      that haven't been updated since 2003.
      The problem appears to be in your uploading
      process somewhere, as your new files are not
      being uploaded.

      ME:
      My new files must be on your server somewhere,
      surely?
      Please see below.
      I have connected using this time a different
      FTP client, SmartFTP instead of that included
      with HotMetal Pro v.6.
      It sees all the new files and folders. When I
      cut the Internet connection it sees them no
      longer so it cannot be seeing something on my
      computer. It must be on the web at
      212.84.161.99. Is that right?
      ________________________________
      [22:40:54] SmartFTP v2.5.1008.27
      [22:40:55] Resolving host name "www.rainbowends.org"
      [22:40:57] Connecting to 212.84.161.99 Port: 21
      [22:40:57] Connected to www.rainbowends.org.
      [22:41:03] 220 ProFTPD 1.2.10 Server (Cougar FTP
      Service) [212.84.161.99]
      [22:41:03] USER rainbowe
      [22:41:05] 331 Password required for rainbowe.
      [22:41:05] PASS (hidden)
      [22:41:06] 230 User rainbowe logged in.
      [22:41:06] SYST
      [22:41:07] 215 UNIX Type: L8
      [22:41:07] Detected Server Type: UNIX
      [22:41:07] FEAT
      [22:41:08] 211-Features:
      [22:41:08] MDTM
      [22:41:10] REST STREAM
      [22:41:10] SIZE
      [22:41:10] 211 End
      [22:41:10] PWD
      [22:41:12] 257 "/" is current directory.
      [22:41:12] CWD www.rainbowends.org
      [22:41:14] 250 CWD command successful
      [22:41:14] PWD
      [22:41:17] 257 "/www.rainbowends.org" is current directory.
      [22:41:17] TYPE A
      [22:41:19] 200 Type set to A
      [22:41:19] PASV
      [22:41:20] 227 Entering Passive Mode (212,84,161,99,226,215).
      [22:41:20] Opening data connection to 212.84.161.99 Port: 58071
      [22:41:20] LIST -aL
      [22:41:22] 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
      [22:41:22] 1379 bytes transferred. (1,69 Ko/s) (796 ms)
      [22:41:23] 226 Transfer complete.
      [22:41:53] NOOP
      [22:41:57] 200 NOOP command successful
      [22:42:27] NOOP
      [22:42:29] 200 NOOP command successful
      [22:42:59] NOOP
      [22:43:01] 200 NOOP command successful
      [22:43:32] NOOP
      [22:43:35] 200 NOOP command successful
      [22:43:40] CWD /www.rainbowends.org/mmviii
      [22:43:43] 250 CWD command successful
      [22:43:43] PWD
      [22:43:46] 257 "/www.rainbowends.org/mmviii" is current directory.
      [22:43:46] PASV
      [22:43:48] 227 Entering Passive Mode (212,84,161,99,227,88).
      [22:43:48] Opening data connection to 212.84.161.99 Port: 58200
      [22:43:48] LIST -aL
      [22:43:55] 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
      [22:43:55] 1350 bytes transferred. (394 octets/s) (00:00:03)
      [22:43:58] 226 Transfer complete.
      [22:44:28] NOOP
      [22:44:32] 200 NOOP command successful
      [22:44:46] Une connexion établie a été abandonnée par un logiciel de
      votre ordinateur hôte.
      [22:44:46] Server closed connection

      > bensbach wrote:
      > > I do remember that years ago when I uploaded
      > > the odd file from France the changes were
      > > visible within hours, but from Thailand it took
      > > about a week for the changes to become visible.
      >
      > This is not as it should be. When I upload I can see the changes
      right
      > away and so can the W3C validator. If it were not so, how could I
      ever
      > debug? In very rare cases my own browser cache jumps in and hides
      > changes, but that only happens with stylesheets or scripts, never
      with
      > the site itself.
      >
      > Axel

    • bensbach
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 21, 2008
        The website hosters have found MY mistake.
        I had uploaded not only the files intended
        for the website but also the folder they
        are contained in. The name of that folder
        is www.rainbowends.org so the mistake was
        not obvious at first site.

        My apologies for troubling you all.

        Eric Johnston

        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 21, 2008
          bensbach wrote:
          > Anyone any suggestions?

          Using FTP: Can you see the old files, those that are displayed through
          HTTP, in the self-same directory. If so you uploadd to the right place.

          Is your capitalization correct for all the new file names? And have you
          made sure that none of them contains any accented French letters that
          are not part of standard US 7-bit ASCII?

          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 21, 2008
            bensbach wrote:
            > My apologies for troubling you all.

            No problem, glad it's solved.
            N.B: I recommend the Totalcommander for FTP (among very many other
            things). It makes things like that very easy to spot.