Re: [NH] Re: Frames

    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 20, 2008
      bensbach wrote:
      > I do remember that years ago when I uploaded
      > the odd file from France the changes were
      > visible within hours, but from Thailand it took
      > about a week for the changes to become visible.

      This is not as it should be. When I upload I can see the changes right
      away and so can the W3C validator. If it were not so, how could I ever
      debug? In very rare cases my own browser cache jumps in and hides
      changes, but that only happens with stylesheets or scripts, never with
      the site itself.

      Axel
    • bensbach
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 21, 2008
        I have been in contact with my website hosting
        company's technical support, but up to now the
        mystery of where my uploaded files can be
        remains unresolved, as the hosting company,
        skymarket.co.uk cannot find them on its
        servers. But my FTP client can see them.

        I give below the exchange of messages.

        Anyone any suggestions?

        ME:
        After the small problem with logging in to the
        FTP server was resolved I successfully uploaded
        my new files, on Tuesday 15th January. The log
        file showed this was accomplished successfully.
        Since then I have uploaded new and modified
        files by synchronisation with the FTP server.
        The synchronisation process has shown that the
        previously uploaded files are present on the
        server.
        However I am not seeing the new site in my
        browsers.
        [...]

        HOST:
        Which domain are you having issues with?

        ME:
        www.rainbowends.org
        This is my only domain.

        HOST:
        I have looked at that hosting and it was last
        updated in 2003.
        Can you confirm the FTP information you are
        using. Host, user and pass please.

        ME:
        I have been using as my "FTP Neighbourhood":
        www.rainbowends.org and my user i/d and
        password are as given to me by you, as below.

        HOST:
        I have logged into FTP using that information
        and I see the same files as before, the ones
        that haven't been updated since 2003.
        The problem appears to be in your uploading
        process somewhere, as your new files are not
        being uploaded.

        ME:
        My new files must be on your server somewhere,
        surely?
        Please see below.
        I have connected using this time a different
        FTP client, SmartFTP instead of that included
        with HotMetal Pro v.6.
        It sees all the new files and folders. When I
        cut the Internet connection it sees them no
        longer so it cannot be seeing something on my
        computer. It must be on the web at
        212.84.161.99. Is that right?
        ________________________________
        [22:40:54] SmartFTP v2.5.1008.27
        [22:40:55] Resolving host name "www.rainbowends.org"
        [22:40:57] Connecting to 212.84.161.99 Port: 21
        [22:40:57] Connected to www.rainbowends.org.
        [22:41:03] 220 ProFTPD 1.2.10 Server (Cougar FTP
        Service) [212.84.161.99]
        [22:41:03] USER rainbowe
        [22:41:05] 331 Password required for rainbowe.
        [22:41:05] PASS (hidden)
        [22:41:06] 230 User rainbowe logged in.
        [22:41:06] SYST
        [22:41:07] 215 UNIX Type: L8
        [22:41:07] Detected Server Type: UNIX
        [22:41:07] FEAT
        [22:41:08] 211-Features:
        [22:41:08] MDTM
        [22:41:10] REST STREAM
        [22:41:10] SIZE
        [22:41:10] 211 End
        [22:41:10] PWD
        [22:41:12] 257 "/" is current directory.
        [22:41:12] CWD www.rainbowends.org
        [22:41:14] 250 CWD command successful
        [22:41:14] PWD
        [22:41:17] 257 "/www.rainbowends.org" is current directory.
        [22:41:17] TYPE A
        [22:41:19] 200 Type set to A
        [22:41:19] PASV
        [22:41:20] 227 Entering Passive Mode (212,84,161,99,226,215).
        [22:41:20] Opening data connection to 212.84.161.99 Port: 58071
        [22:41:20] LIST -aL
        [22:41:22] 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
        [22:41:22] 1379 bytes transferred. (1,69 Ko/s) (796 ms)
        [22:41:23] 226 Transfer complete.
        [22:41:53] NOOP
        [22:41:57] 200 NOOP command successful
        [22:42:27] NOOP
        [22:42:29] 200 NOOP command successful
        [22:42:59] NOOP
        [22:43:01] 200 NOOP command successful
        [22:43:32] NOOP
        [22:43:35] 200 NOOP command successful
        [22:43:40] CWD /www.rainbowends.org/mmviii
        [22:43:43] 250 CWD command successful
        [22:43:43] PWD
        [22:43:46] 257 "/www.rainbowends.org/mmviii" is current directory.
        [22:43:46] PASV
        [22:43:48] 227 Entering Passive Mode (212,84,161,99,227,88).
        [22:43:48] Opening data connection to 212.84.161.99 Port: 58200
        [22:43:48] LIST -aL
        [22:43:55] 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
        [22:43:55] 1350 bytes transferred. (394 octets/s) (00:00:03)
        [22:43:58] 226 Transfer complete.
        [22:44:28] NOOP
        [22:44:32] 200 NOOP command successful
        [22:44:46] Une connexion établie a été abandonnée par un logiciel de
        votre ordinateur hôte.
        [22:44:46] Server closed connection

        > bensbach wrote:
        > > I do remember that years ago when I uploaded
        > > the odd file from France the changes were
        > > visible within hours, but from Thailand it took
        > > about a week for the changes to become visible.
        >
        > This is not as it should be. When I upload I can see the changes
        right
        > away and so can the W3C validator. If it were not so, how could I
        ever
        > debug? In very rare cases my own browser cache jumps in and hides
        > changes, but that only happens with stylesheets or scripts, never
        with
        > the site itself.
        >
        > Axel

      • bensbach
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 21, 2008
          The website hosters have found MY mistake.
          I had uploaded not only the files intended
          for the website but also the folder they
          are contained in. The name of that folder
          is www.rainbowends.org so the mistake was
          not obvious at first site.

          My apologies for troubling you all.

          Eric Johnston

          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 21, 2008
            bensbach wrote:
            > Anyone any suggestions?

            Using FTP: Can you see the old files, those that are displayed through
            HTTP, in the self-same directory. If so you uploadd to the right place.

            Is your capitalization correct for all the new file names? And have you
            made sure that none of them contains any accented French letters that
            are not part of standard US 7-bit ASCII?

            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 21, 2008
              bensbach wrote:
              > My apologies for troubling you all.

              No problem, glad it's solved.
              N.B: I recommend the Totalcommander for FTP (among very many other
              things). It makes things like that very easy to spot.