[NH] Re: Frames

  • bensbach
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 20, 2008
      > Hi
      > just went to this site it is fine
      > http://www.rainbowends.org/cadre.htm two frames
      > just the way it should be??
      > THANKYOU DAVE M

      The site always had two frames. The question
      is this:

      Does index.html show you three portait photos
      of Burmese generals ?

      And do the frames it brings up show you, in the
      righthand one, a text in English?

      If not, you are seeing my 7-year old site.

      > > If you are not seeing on the Front Page the
      > > photos of Burma's three top ruling generals,
      > > you are not seeing the updated site,
      >
      > I don't -- so it definitely is your server that
      > does not update.
      > Is it possible that you don't FTP directly into
      > your webspace but send updates somewhere that
      > someone has to insert manually and that they
      > take their time?
      >
      > Axel

      Thanks.

      I'll get on to the company that is hosting my
      site, www.skymarket.co.uk

      When I first tried to update my site Sunday a
      week ago, I was unable to do so: the FTP server
      didn't recognise my login details. I checked
      them and they were correct. It turned out the
      company had lost my login!

      After they gave me a new ID and password
      everything went smoothly, at least as far as
      concerns the uploading to the FTP server.

      The log file showed everything was OK.

      Moreover in the past week, since then, I have
      added new files and modified others by
      synchronising with the server. And the
      synchronising process has indicated that all
      the other files were on the server.

      Maybe someone at the hosting company must
      manually transfer the files from the FTP server
      to the HTTP server? That is something I am
      totally ignorant about.

      I do remember that years ago when I uploaded
      the odd file from France the changes were
      visible within hours, but from Thailand it took
      about a week for the changes to become visible.

      But if no-one is seeing the new site, there
      must be something drastically wrong.

      Thanks again.

      Eric Johnston
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 20, 2008
        bensbach wrote:
        > I do remember that years ago when I uploaded
        > the odd file from France the changes were
        > visible within hours, but from Thailand it took
        > about a week for the changes to become visible.

        This is not as it should be. When I upload I can see the changes right
        away and so can the W3C validator. If it were not so, how could I ever
        debug? In very rare cases my own browser cache jumps in and hides
        changes, but that only happens with stylesheets or scripts, never with
        the site itself.

        Axel
      • bensbach
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 21, 2008
          I have been in contact with my website hosting
          company's technical support, but up to now the
          mystery of where my uploaded files can be
          remains unresolved, as the hosting company,
          skymarket.co.uk cannot find them on its
          servers. But my FTP client can see them.

          I give below the exchange of messages.

          Anyone any suggestions?

          ME:
          After the small problem with logging in to the
          FTP server was resolved I successfully uploaded
          my new files, on Tuesday 15th January. The log
          file showed this was accomplished successfully.
          Since then I have uploaded new and modified
          files by synchronisation with the FTP server.
          The synchronisation process has shown that the
          previously uploaded files are present on the
          server.
          However I am not seeing the new site in my
          browsers.
          [...]

          HOST:
          Which domain are you having issues with?

          ME:
          www.rainbowends.org
          This is my only domain.

          HOST:
          I have looked at that hosting and it was last
          updated in 2003.
          Can you confirm the FTP information you are
          using. Host, user and pass please.

          ME:
          I have been using as my "FTP Neighbourhood":
          www.rainbowends.org and my user i/d and
          password are as given to me by you, as below.

          HOST:
          I have logged into FTP using that information
          and I see the same files as before, the ones
          that haven't been updated since 2003.
          The problem appears to be in your uploading
          process somewhere, as your new files are not
          being uploaded.

          ME:
          My new files must be on your server somewhere,
          surely?
          Please see below.
          I have connected using this time a different
          FTP client, SmartFTP instead of that included
          with HotMetal Pro v.6.
          It sees all the new files and folders. When I
          cut the Internet connection it sees them no
          longer so it cannot be seeing something on my
          computer. It must be on the web at
          212.84.161.99. Is that right?
          ________________________________
          [22:40:54] SmartFTP v2.5.1008.27
          [22:40:55] Resolving host name "www.rainbowends.org"
          [22:40:57] Connecting to 212.84.161.99 Port: 21
          [22:40:57] Connected to www.rainbowends.org.
          [22:41:03] 220 ProFTPD 1.2.10 Server (Cougar FTP
          Service) [212.84.161.99]
          [22:41:03] USER rainbowe
          [22:41:05] 331 Password required for rainbowe.
          [22:41:05] PASS (hidden)
          [22:41:06] 230 User rainbowe logged in.
          [22:41:06] SYST
          [22:41:07] 215 UNIX Type: L8
          [22:41:07] Detected Server Type: UNIX
          [22:41:07] FEAT
          [22:41:08] 211-Features:
          [22:41:08] MDTM
          [22:41:10] REST STREAM
          [22:41:10] SIZE
          [22:41:10] 211 End
          [22:41:10] PWD
          [22:41:12] 257 "/" is current directory.
          [22:41:12] CWD www.rainbowends.org
          [22:41:14] 250 CWD command successful
          [22:41:14] PWD
          [22:41:17] 257 "/www.rainbowends.org" is current directory.
          [22:41:17] TYPE A
          [22:41:19] 200 Type set to A
          [22:41:19] PASV
          [22:41:20] 227 Entering Passive Mode (212,84,161,99,226,215).
          [22:41:20] Opening data connection to 212.84.161.99 Port: 58071
          [22:41:20] LIST -aL
          [22:41:22] 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
          [22:41:22] 1379 bytes transferred. (1,69 Ko/s) (796 ms)
          [22:41:23] 226 Transfer complete.
          [22:41:53] NOOP
          [22:41:57] 200 NOOP command successful
          [22:42:27] NOOP
          [22:42:29] 200 NOOP command successful
          [22:42:59] NOOP
          [22:43:01] 200 NOOP command successful
          [22:43:32] NOOP
          [22:43:35] 200 NOOP command successful
          [22:43:40] CWD /www.rainbowends.org/mmviii
          [22:43:43] 250 CWD command successful
          [22:43:43] PWD
          [22:43:46] 257 "/www.rainbowends.org/mmviii" is current directory.
          [22:43:46] PASV
          [22:43:48] 227 Entering Passive Mode (212,84,161,99,227,88).
          [22:43:48] Opening data connection to 212.84.161.99 Port: 58200
          [22:43:48] LIST -aL
          [22:43:55] 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
          [22:43:55] 1350 bytes transferred. (394 octets/s) (00:00:03)
          [22:43:58] 226 Transfer complete.
          [22:44:28] NOOP
          [22:44:32] 200 NOOP command successful
          [22:44:46] Une connexion établie a été abandonnée par un logiciel de
          votre ordinateur hôte.
          [22:44:46] Server closed connection

          > bensbach wrote:
          > > I do remember that years ago when I uploaded
          > > the odd file from France the changes were
          > > visible within hours, but from Thailand it took
          > > about a week for the changes to become visible.
          >
          > This is not as it should be. When I upload I can see the changes
          right
          > away and so can the W3C validator. If it were not so, how could I
          ever
          > debug? In very rare cases my own browser cache jumps in and hides
          > changes, but that only happens with stylesheets or scripts, never
          with
          > the site itself.
          >
          > Axel

        • bensbach
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 21, 2008
            The website hosters have found MY mistake.
            I had uploaded not only the files intended
            for the website but also the folder they
            are contained in. The name of that folder
            is www.rainbowends.org so the mistake was
            not obvious at first site.

            My apologies for troubling you all.

            Eric Johnston

            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 21, 2008
              bensbach wrote:
              > Anyone any suggestions?

              Using FTP: Can you see the old files, those that are displayed through
              HTTP, in the self-same directory. If so you uploadd to the right place.

              Is your capitalization correct for all the new file names? And have you
              made sure that none of them contains any accented French letters that
              are not part of standard US 7-bit ASCII?

              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 21, 2008
                bensbach wrote:
                > My apologies for troubling you all.

                No problem, glad it's solved.
                N.B: I recommend the Totalcommander for FTP (among very many other
                things). It makes things like that very easy to spot.